The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Everything old is new again :: Originator of the One-to-Six (aka Hot Rod) force (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
I am doing some research on the One-to-Six Force commonly used with the Hot Rod. In particular, I am looking for the originator.

There was an intriguing statement in the October 2003 Linking Ring magazine (Vol. 83 No. 10) that Max Maven (Philip Goldstein) had produced a detailed look into this:

"Here I thank Max Maven for his very detailed and helpful response to my e-mail concerning the so called 1-6 Hot Rod Force. Your information. Max. has inspired the minds of our members to study more Magic History and give credit to whom and where credit is due. Domo arigato. Max" - Paul Moses Jr.

I've reached out to last contact for IBM Ring 296, the club whose ring report included the above. But I am wondering if any other members are aware of this or other references for the force that lists its originator.

Thanks in advance!
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Meir Yedid filled in the big piece of the puzzle: "the one-to-six force was created by Jim Zachary who also created the Hot Rod when he worked with Ken Allen who produced the first ones."

Thank you, Meir!
saxonia
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of saxonia
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2024, FrankFindley wrote:
Meir Yedid filled in the big piece of the puzzle: "the one-to-six force was created by Jim Zachary who also created the Hot Rod when he worked with Ken Allen who produced the first ones."

I have some doubts. When it was invented? Whaley's "Encyclopedic Dictionary of Magic" lists 1971 as the first reference. However, the partnership between Ken Allen and Zachary ended in 1964 (at least that's what is stated in M-U-M August, 1980), so I rather think that Zachary has produced the first ones in his own company 'Magic Workshop'.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2024, saxonia wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2024, FrankFindley wrote:

I have some doubts. When it was invented? Whaley's "Encyclopedic Dictionary of Magic" lists 1971 as the first reference. However, the partnership between Ken Allen and Zachary ended in 1964 (at least that's what is stated in M-U-M August, 1980), so I rather think that Zachary has produced the first ones in his own company 'Magic Workshop'.

Thanks for this info, saxonia. I really appreciate it. Was the listing in the Encyclopedic Dictionary of Magic for the One-to-Six Force, the Hot Rod, or both?

I have come to the same conclusion regarding the Hot Rod first being part of the Magic Workshop line but am still unsure about the One-to-Six force. Here is what I have found:

The Hot Rod was definitely in wide circulation before 1971. It was a featured item in Louis Tannen ads starting in early 1970. I am currently looking for the instructions from this time to see how they presented the One-to-Six force.

Jim Zachary and Ken Allen began their creative partnership in 1961 and it did indeed only last until 1964 when Jim and Joyce started Magic Workshop and Magical Enterprise. Ken Allen then sold his magic line to Bob Follmer in April/May 1965.

The Ken Allen product line did not include the Hot Rod. Jumping Jems, Flash Rod, and Dizzy Diamonds were included. It also wasn't included in the early (1964/1965) Magic Workshop or Magical Enterprise ads either. But it could have been in prototype stage during this time.

So we know it must have seen first major production sometime between 1966 and 1970. The Louis Tannen ads from early 1970 suggest it was a new item. So that implies 1969 or 1970. Ring-N-Things apparently came to the same conclusion because in their ad to the Steel Hot Rod they say: "Sometime around 1970, the brilliant close up magician James Zachary, known as Jim Zee, invented a paddle trick named the Hot Rod." https://www.rnt2.com/steel-hot-rod-color......als.html

But this doesn't necessarily tell us when the One-to-Six force was invented. Jim could have invented that sooner. He and Ken were trying a lot of different routines with the gems. It is a chicken and egg situation, did Jim create the One-to-Six force and then create the Hot Rod, or did he create the Hot Rod and invent the One-to-Six force to support it?

The first published reference to the One-to-Six force method that I could find was from New Tops Vol. 12 January 1972 in Duke Stern's column. He details a card trick using it and begins by saying: "Here's a silly, easy-to-do 'force' which should be in some book but these old eyes haven't seen it. For want of a silly name, how about...'SIX-CESS'." So even Duke Stern didn't know where it came from and penned a name for it!

I really would love to see the instruction sheet(s) from the 1970 Hot Rod as distributed by Louis Tannen and Magic Workshop to see if there are any more details given.
saxonia
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of saxonia
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2024, FrankFindley wrote:
Was the listing in the Encyclopedic Dictionary of Magic for the One-to-Six Force, the Hot Rod, or both?

It was for "Hot Rod".