The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: An unidentified cup set sold for $660 on the big auction site. Anyone know the make and model? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Just curious. The make & model of the cups weren't given, but obviously some knew what they were. I 'watched' the auction and was wowed by the final price. Just curious what they were, and thought some here may have seen them. Anyone know?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Link? I'm thinking Gary Animal or Danny Dew/Paul Fox cups. Possibly cups that were sold by Jeff Busby.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Tried posting a link but post was deleted - or, I thought I posted but didn't click (probably the latter).

They were 'traditional' in shape, so not PF or similar.

UPDATE: I still have the auction page 'watched' so I'll try to post a pic later tonight.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I saw and answered your original post. The cups were made by P&L.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2024, Harry Murphy wrote:
I saw and answered your original post. The cups were made by P&L.

Thank you, Harry. When I went back to check the topic, it was gone.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I found the listing. Down at the bottom of the listing it says:

"On Jan-13-24 at 06:23:58 PST, seller added the following information:
Petrie & Lewis"

My comment -- Those are not the original balls. I wish I'd seen the listing. I would have passed that along. Also, there should have been instructions included. I suspect that someone acquired a recent set of P&L cups, located a matching box, and put the set together. I don't know if David Haversat has spun any in copper, but there are clues to the age of the cups that are somewhat telling. About the time I was working at the Florida Renaissance Festival in Largo (1980), someone who had acquired the P&L trademark, dies, etc. was making small lotas and some other copper props.

Quote:
On Jan 19, 2024, Chessmann wrote:
Just curious. The make & model of the cups weren't given, but obviously some knew what they were. I 'watched' the auction and was wowed by the final price. Just curious what they were, and thought some here may have seen them. Anyone know?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2024, Bill Palmer wrote:
I found the listing. Down at the bottom of the listing it says:

"On Jan-13-24 at 06:23:58 PST, seller added the following information:
Petrie & Lewis"

Thanks, Bill. Per your post I went to the item page and found the P&L reference. What a horrible place to have to ad info...after the shipping info & scripture reference Smile I guess after a certain point/bids you can't simply edit the text.