The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: Production costs for card decks (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
495 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
So far, unfortunately, there are no answers in this thread to the question of how much it costs to produce 10,000 or 100,000 "normal" poker card decks. I am interested in this question because maybe it would be possible, for example, to include the Rainbow Deck or the Cheek to Cheek deck (two great and easy to perform magic tricks) in a magic box/magic set for beginners ... if the production costs for a poker card deck are not too high.
Frosty
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
240 Posts

Profile of Frosty
I've been pitching these decks for years now at "only" 10 bucks.. and no kicker.
Yes! That word "only" must be in your pitch prior to mentioning the price..

They easily sell nowadays for $10. Trust me, Don't sell'em for any less..
Frosty
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
240 Posts

Profile of Frosty
I won't share my spiel but I clearly tell the marks you can go to a magic shop and just about any magic trick you buy will cost you 30 dollars or more but here today we sell these cards for "only" 10 bucks etc..
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2024, Dannydoyle wrote:
Do you sell them for $5?

We sold them at $10 but as a package, not just the deck. We pitched a worm and a 2 card Monte.

I wish Mark Lewis could post here because I guarantee he has the current information. (Gaddy I’m certain your information is correct. Mark has been pitching these forever is my point.)

At the store? No. They're at a bit of a premium in the store.

The $5 price point I mentioned would be for pitching at a fair or some venue like that. Thinking about it now, the pitch would probably go "7 for the deck and 4 for the 2 card monte, but I'll sell them both to you for 10"

Also, it's weird that people are saying "Oh .88 can't be right!" when the link to King Magic is right there... If you want to know the details (shipping, volume discounts ETC) you have to set up a dealer account with them. Then you'll KNOW the facts instead of just idly speculating about them...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Thank you for the response. I thought the store would be more of a premium.

I think you’re right about setting up an account and finding out for themselves. Unfortunately here the method is to have an opinion and just pass it off as fact. Facts themselves, no matter how easily accessible, have become meaningless. Very sad indeed.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
True they are .88 Cents when you buy in large bulks. But I don’t know if that includes shipping from China, it’s not likely its free. Nobody here seems to know, but I’ll know soon oh.

Tom
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I wouldn't even consider buying from a vendor like this for quantities of under 2-5k. And, given that these cards are a "known quality", that makes them all the more valuable to me.

Just saw a post on another site where a well known magician bought a lot of custom cards and they came misprinted... BADLY!

I don't know the relationship he has with that particular vendor, but his post implied that he was going to have to eat that entire cost!

The "pricce of doing business" when there are so many unknown qualities?

Sounds awful to me.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Gaddy, I think you right. All good deals are not good for all.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2024, gaddy wrote:
I wouldn't even consider buying from a vendor like this for quantities of under 2-5k. And, given that these cards are a "known quality", that makes them all the more valuable to me.

Just saw a post on another site where a well known magician bought a lot of custom cards and they came misprinted... BADLY!

I don't know the relationship he has with that particular vendor, but his post implied that he was going to have to eat that entire cost!

The "pricce of doing business" when there are so many unknown qualities?

Sounds awful to me.

Yea it always comes to context and how much you’re willing to buy.

Using an unknown is a huge risk.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
495 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Just saw: Kingmagic sells a Marked Deck for $0.68 (link below). If this deck is of the same quality as their Svengali deck, that would indicate that Kingmagic can produce poker decks very cheaply in China. It seems no one here seems to know or want to write what it currently costs to produce poker decks in the US or Europe.

https://www.kingmagic.com/index.php?main......_id=1082
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
In the US or Europe?

It is entirely possible this is much too broad a question to actually answer.

As Gaddy said just sign up for an account and they will tell you instantly. Why ask here and then post broad questions and apparently blame us for not being able to answer?

That seems a bit harsh on us. How could we answer a question about quantity, and shipping cost across the US and Europe? If you want one deck shipped to Spain the cost will be a bit different than 5,000 decks shipped to New York.

Narrow you scope for us, or better yet for them and you can have an exact answer. All we can do is guess.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Daniel, I don’t think anyone here in the US could, or would try to compete with China on the price. It’s much easier to just buy from China. I was able to open an account and when you add the ship cost the price doubles. 12 Gr of the .88 cards would cost me $1,520. plus $1,778. shipping = $3298. Still not a bad price for a retailer. But it's much easier and safer for somebody like me to buy from Robbins and past the extra cost on the consumer.

Tom
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
495 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Thanks for the answers!

I am simply interested for a project that I have in mind how much it costs to produce 100,000 poker card decks in the USA or Europe, for example. In the quality in which card decks are sold in one-euro/dollar stores.

But this is just an attempt to get this information. If nobody knows that, that's okay too.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why not ask suppliers themselves?

Wouldn’t that be the best source for information?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18065 Posts

Profile of Slim King
So not a single one of you ordered a single deck? Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
I did, besides the kingmagic which was reviewed earlier, I recently came in possession
of a Rhode Island deck. the one that looks like hundred-dollar bills, it's about as
terrible as you would expect.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18065 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On May 4, 2024, Fedora wrote:
I did, besides the kingmagic which was reviewed earlier, I recently came in possession
of a Rhode Island deck. the one that looks like hundred-dollar bills, it's about as

Are these the super thin ones? Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Yes.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Keep in mind, Pitchmen don’t usually sell what magicians consider good playing cards. That’s not a bad thing, just a fact.

Tom
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Quote:
On May 4, 2024, Fedora wrote:
the one that looks like hundred-dollar bills, it's about as

I just received a dozen decks from Oriental Trading, they also
make decks that look like hundred-dollar bills.

These are pretty decent quality at $9 a dozen, currently with free shipping.
They don't spread well but are still pretty good at the price point.

https://www.orientaltrading.com/100-bill......ch=false