The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: PTSD (193 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
986 Posts

Profile of jbadman
I also saw this at The Session, and purchased it. For me one of the best things I acquired there by some stretch (and I definitely over-spent!). Everything Mark says is spot on, but I'd also like to add that there are some fine details here that I really hadn't appreciated in advance of the purchase but afterwards, realise just how well thought out every part of this effect is.

Criticisms of the advertising being 'selectively edited' etc seem kind of meaningless; very few magic advertisements give you everything, right? And we all know that if a full unedited performance is shared, a proportion of the Cafe Crowd will simply dissect everything and some will attempt to make their own version without bothering to buy from the creator.

I don't believe the reactions are fake; this is really super-clean and hits very hard. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Oh - and good luck packing 'Canon' in your wallet!
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
Koolmagicguy
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Koolmagicguy
Can a spectator look inside the envelope? Can any envelope be used when the one supplied breaks down from carrying it in my pocket all day?
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4192 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2024, AutarchicFlux wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2024, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
As stated there is no boring drawn out equivoque. Sure the tiny bit of process is cut from the trailer because that is part of what you are buying, that the envelope and the gaffs.

This is an infomercial-style advertising ploy. This combined with the selectively edited or faked performances heavily implies that "no boring, drawn out equivoque" means "no equivoque." The statement is meant to be misleading while also being, in a sense, technically true. It's deceptive, and deliberately so.

I can’t say whether the reactions are faked or not, I regularly see similar reactions to this in the real world with relatively straight forward effects and I doubt I am alone in this.

However having seen this live as well as actually owning it I can say that the trailer is not heavily edited there is only one step that takes moments removed. No boring drawn out equivoque means exactly that, just because you choose to choose to apply your own meaning to the words does not change what the words actually mean in the English language. If an ad said a deck of cards had no boring single colour back design I would expect the back design to be interesting and multi coloured, I would not complain that the trailer is dishonest because it does indeed have a back design which does happen to be an interesting multi coloured design.

Buy it or don’t buy it, it’s your choice.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
596 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
As stated there is no boring drawn out equivoque. Sure the tiny bit of process is cut from the trailer because that is part of what you are buying, that the envelope and the gaffs.

This is an infomercial-style advertising ploy. This combined with the selectively edited or faked performances heavily implies that "no boring, drawn out equivoque" means "no equivoque." The statement is meant to be misleading while also being, in a sense, technically true. It's deceptive, and deliberately so.

I can’t say whether the reactions are faked or not, I regularly see similar reactions to this in the real world with relatively straight forward effects and I doubt I am alone in this.

However having seen this live as well as actually owning it I can say that the trailer is not heavily edited there is only one step that takes moments removed. No boring drawn out equivoque means exactly that, just because you choose to choose to apply your own meaning to the words does not change what the words actually mean in the English language. If an ad said a deck of cards had no boring single colour back design I would expect the back design to be interesting and multi coloured, I would not complain that the trailer is dishonest because it does indeed have a back design which does happen to be an interesting multi coloured design.

Mark

A better analogy would be if an ad said "No boring single color back design," and then the back design turned out to be all purple, with the justification that "purple isn't a boring single color, though!"
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
986 Posts

Profile of jbadman
No, not really. But regardless, I don’t think the purpose of this post is to find the most appropriate analogy! Pretty sure the gist of this effect, the quality of the product and the strength of the routine, with the level of thought behind it, is very clear now. Should be more than enough for potential buyers to decide if it’s for them or not.

It can even be done with a purple envelope btw… Smile
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1568 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
I've always been a fan of Mark Elsdon's "On the Mark" - guessing the one step equivoque is basically the same. I use an Heirloom type index wallet and once I remove the card, show the wallet empty as I say "Obviously, i't s not like I have an entire deck in my wallet..." Because the "no-quivoque (I believe that's what Mark calls it) is natural and goes undetected, over the hundred of times I've done this, no one has ever asked to look at my wallet because in their mind, they could have chosen any of the 52 cards. So I'm guessing the same would be the case with PTSD. Done right, I don't think anyone would want to see the card or envelope because how in the world could a single thin envelope hold 52 cards!?!
leipzisch
View Profile
Special user
952 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
The price for this is ridiculous.

It's way too expensive.

It's far too cheap.

It's just right for what you get.

When will people get it into their heads: the correct price is whatever people are willing to pay for it!
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4192 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mark

A better analogy would be if an ad said "No boring single color back design," and then the back design turned out to be all purple, with the justification that "purple isn't a boring single color, though!"

It wouldn’t be a better analogy though because the process in PTSD could barely be called equivoque, it contains only one brief instruction and the first words the participant utters is their choice of card. It absolutely complies with the statement of no boring and drawn out equivoque.

Now it’s your choice if you want to make yourself look like a fool by continuing to make arguments whilst not equipped with the facts, personally I prefer to only talk about those things I have first hand knowledge of but hey fill your boots if it makes you happy.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
gumbimagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Too busy performing to have more than
315 Posts

Profile of gumbimagic
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubts" - unknown
leipzisch
View Profile
Special user
952 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
I bet whoever came up with that quote was a little bit nervous about how it would be received.
danHumphrey
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of danHumphrey
This looks like something I will actually carry with me and use. I converted my VI points to store credit and took the plunge...
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
One thing going unmentioned is that the Equivoque being used here was created by Mark Elsdon. I believe it was first released with his great effect, On the Mark.

It has been "borrowed" many times since.

Mark's idea is a real advance over Equivoque'ing to a color or suit, because it requires only one Equivoque choice, and all subsequent choices are consistent with the first.

Cheers,
Jerry
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
596 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
So what's up with the performance in the trailer where no equivoque is used whatsoever, and the spectator is invited to think of "any card," prior to their over-the-top reaction? Are we also going to argue that's not deceptive?
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4192 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2024, jerdunn wrote:
One thing going unmentioned is that the Equivoque being used here was created by Mark Elsdon. I believe it was first released with his great effect, On the Mark.

Mark's idea is a real advance over Equivoque'ing to a color or suit, because it requires only one Equivoque choice, and all subsequent choices are consistent with the first.

Cheers,
Jerry

This is not Mark Elsdon’s equivoque which is brilliant and I have used myself with Mark’s permission and even is used in one of the effects in my upcoming Blackpool release. In this effect there are no subsequent choices. This is extremely streamlined with only one instruction to the participant that does not require them to say anything other than name their card. The only thing I don’t like about this process is I didn’t come up with it.

That instruction is cut from the trailer quite understandably so because it is essentially 50% of the method. The other 50% being the way you can instantly remove the full thickness named card from a thin envelope without any fumbling.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
marcobasi
View Profile
New user
italy
44 Posts

Profile of marcobasi
Reminds me a lot of one&only by paul harris (I wonder where I put that envelope... Smile
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
596 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2024, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2024, jerdunn wrote:

Cheers,
Jerry

This is not Mark Elsdon’s equivoque which is brilliant and I have used myself with Mark’s permission and even is used in one of the effects in my upcoming Blackpool release. In this effect there are no subsequent choices. This is extremely streamlined with only one instruction to the participant that does not require them to say anything other than name their card. The only thing I don’t like about this process is I didn’t come up with it.

That instruction is cut from the trailer quite understandably so because it is essentially 50% of the method. The other 50% being the way you can instantly remove the full thickness named card from a thin envelope without any fumbling.

Mark

Mark, it's not "cut" from the performance towards the middle of the trailer. This is a full, unedited performance from start to finish in which the spectator is asked to think "of ANY card." It's deceptive. Unequivocally, and obviously. Please stop defending it and go look for yourself. It's a BS, fake performance designed to mislead.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2077 Posts

Profile of David Numen
I think you’re wrong and there’s a simple process that has to happen BEFORE the spectator was asked to name any card. A process that is congruent with then removing imaginary cards from a box and naming “any” card. There is obviously a restriction, we all know what that restriction must be, we don’t know what shape it takes. I’m intrigued because according to Mark Chandaue the spectator doesn’t say anything until they name a card. I can replicate the effect but not without them saying something to help narrow the choices down.
Winnes
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Winnes
You could easily replicate it by saying “before we begin, everyone normally thinks of a numbered card so we’re only going to be considering the court cards”. But that would be rubbish, and very silly. I’m sure there is a much more elegant solution here, and I have ordered it as I trust Mark L and Mark C, but I do understand the claims of the advert being misleading. I think we just have to accept that there has to be bits missed out, or skirted around, but it’s the impression that lasts with the spectator that counts.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3255 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I am not interested in speculating how the effect is done. Having just seen the video, what I was interested in were the reactions of the spectators. These were a delight to watch and shows how good magic can be such great entertainment.

I wish Mark every success with this release and in addition to entertaining his spectators thank him for entertaining me too.

Neil
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
596 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2024, NeilS wrote:
I am not interested in speculating how the effect is done. Having just seen the video, what I was interested in were the reactions of the spectators. These were a delight to watch and shows how good magic can be such great entertainment.

Neil

I would bet cold, hard cash that the "reaction" in the performance at 0:48 is acting by a stooge. Everything about that reaction screams "acting," and the only way to accomplish the effect in that way is either sheer dumb luck or stooging.