The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: PTSD (193 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
gumbimagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Too busy performing to have more than
316 Posts

Profile of gumbimagic
At the time of writing the thread has over 25k views. So, handful at most, out of thousands of people are triggered by this, and very vocal about it. I wonder wherein lies the real issue. The very vocal extreme minority, or the others? No matter what is done some extreme minority is going to be triggered, so what? You can't, and quite frankly, shouldn't even try to make everyone happy. Just my thoughts and opinion as someone on this forum says quite often.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3218 Posts

Profile of lunatik
The minority currently has the bullhorn, so they are heard the loudest Smile
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Special user
UK
728 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
The thing is, you can call your product anything in the world. 99% of product names would't be an issue but they've deliberately chosen something to stir up a bit of controversy. It doesn't take a genius to see that if you name a card trick after a serious psychological disorder typically associated with people who have suffered trauma in war zones, it might be a bit...insensitive?
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1999 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
The minute you tell people not to make fun of something, they are immediately going to make fun of that very thing. I'm not saying me and my partner are freaky in bed....But our memory foam mattress has PTSD.

I'm still interested in how this streamlines the equivoque compared with Inferno?

Quote:
On Jan 28, 2024, dirtyfoucault wrote:
The thing is, you can call your product anything in the world. 99% of product names would't be an issue but they've deliberately chosen something to stir up a bit of controversy. It doesn't take a genius to see that if you name a card trick after a serious psychological disorder typically associated with people who have suffered trauma in war zones, it might be a bit...insensitive?
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Special user
UK
728 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
Oh...right. They're making fun of PTSD? Haha! Vic and Bob would be jealous of that hilarity.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2024, Kaliix wrote:

I'm still interested in how this streamlines the equivoque compared with Inferno?

According to the reviews and posts that I’ve seen, the streamlined equivoque is a significant part of what you are purchasing with this so I doubt you will get many more specifics than what has already been mentioned in this thread.
Axman
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of Axman
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2024, dirtyfoucault wrote:

I doubt they would deliberately choose a name to stir up controversy. Who would do such a thing DirtyFoucault?
michaelpenkul
View Profile
New user
Toronto Canada
87 Posts

Profile of michaelpenkul
I have PTSD from reading the nonsense in this thread
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of academy
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2024, Kaliix wrote:

The live version of PTSD is a kind of silent equivoque (I would be hesitant to call it equivoque in the literal meaning). There are no step-by-step choices that the spectator express verbally. The spectator speaks only once to declare his/her chosen card.

equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
The mentalism world does not need a new version of Kolossal Killer. The scripting from inferno by Joshua Jay and a 4 WO envelope or wallet is all you need. The drama built when the audience sees the volunteer turns over the card and the audience sees the look on their face and THEN they see the card is lost when DS or MI cards are used. Michael Close often said that a new version should only be released if it is an improvement. This is not. Several better versions are already available. So watch the demo for inferno and use a 4 WO envelope or wallet. I just saved you $45. Your welcome.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4192 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
You could argue that the Mentalism word does not need a single new product.

Whilst that is your opinion, other opinions differ. In my opinion this is a massive improvement over kolossal killer as I absolutely hate the off by one. As far as inferno it’s a little less clear cut because both have pros and cons. Personally I would put this and inferno on a pretty even footing but this is more of an every day carry for me than inferno.

I will almost certainly use the method applied to retrieving the card from the envelope in other effects.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Hi Mark,
Of course the post was my opinion and I respect yours. Personally, I think anything is better than that, off by one dodge. So of course it is an improvement off of the original. Using DF and MI cards takes a special moment away from the effect. That is the moment when the audience sees the volunteer look at the card. This alone can be an applause cue and there will be even more applause when they turn it over and show the audience. Why rob your audiences of those special moments? If you are willing to hold the card and show it to the volunteer and then turn it to face the audience you can have the same effect for $10. You could also use a mystery box. Yes, it’s an improvement over the original, but there are better more affordable versions than this available. Again, I respect your opinion.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2024, equivoque wrote:
Hi Mark,
Of course the post was my opinion and I respect yours. Personally, I think anything is better than that, off by one dodge. So of course it is an improvement off of the original. Using DF and MI cards takes a special moment away from the effect. That is the moment when the audience sees the volunteer look at the card. This alone can be an applause cue and there will be even more applause when they turn it over and show the audience. Why rob your audiences of those special moments? If you are willing to hold the card and show it to the volunteer and then turn it to face the audience you can have the same effect for $10. You could also use a mystery box. Yes, it’s an improvement over the original, but there are better more affordable versions than this available. Again, I respect your opinion.

Many times there are different methods for essentially the same effect and often one method is better suited than another in a certain performing situation. You keep referring to “audiences” but I was under the impression that PTSD was intended primarily for close-up and to be an every day carry. So I don’t feel the “missing beats” you are referring to are necessary when performing this one on one or for just a very intimate group.

Your references to audiences and applause cues make me think you are primarily a stage performer, in which case I agree with you that there are probably better methods available for stage use. I never perform on stage so I’m more interested in this as an EDC. IMO the method suits that type of performing very well. I particularly like that PTSD can be performed extremely quickly if desired which is something that would probably not interest a stage performer.

It’s important to compare apples to apples.
kebmo3108
View Profile
Regular user
Austria
115 Posts

Profile of kebmo3108
It is great that there is another way to achieve this effect. Nice EDC for a casual performer whose audience are mainly friends, friends of friends and family, so in other words more or less always the same group of people. Having many different ways to achieve the effect is convincing for them.

Don ´t know if it adds value for a professional or half-professional as the PTSD method comes with negatives, but so does all other methods !?

The best compromise in terms of pocket space, method and examinablility is still KK imo, but I definitley will add PTSD to my methods for this effect.
michaelpenkul
View Profile
New user
Toronto Canada
87 Posts

Profile of michaelpenkul
Just wanted to mention to those who find the PTSD trailer deceptive yet are praising Kolossal Killer; you really should refresh your memory and watch the KK trailer - now THAT is deceptive shilling
Axman
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of Axman
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2024, michaelpenkul wrote:
Just wanted to mention to those who find the PTSD trailer deceptive yet are praising Kolossal Killer; you really should refresh your memory and watch the KK trailer - now THAT is deceptive shilling

Deceptive Shilling was also the highlight of David Devant's coin act
Wlmatti12
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Wlmatti12
Bought this, haven’t received yet but have gone through the tutorial, mark covers everything in depth and very clearly.
The routine is very easy to perform and once you get the little nuances this will be a golden thing to have in you all the time.
In terms of trailer, they’re showing you exactly what it does, yes they missed a few seconds at the beginning because it really would give.away part of the method and also they he achieves this is very good and clean and done very off beat which is lovely. Also the video in the trailer is exactly what the participant will feel and remember.
The way he takes the card out of the envelope is key as well to the fact and selling point that there is only ever one card in there. And I think that with the right handling you could tip the envelope downward to cement the fact it’s only one card but will test when I receive.
In terms of other methods and routines, I like this better than inferno simply as the “process” is off beat and much quicker. Kk I never really liked it connected with, never liked the off by one principle.
All in all a solid release and I believe anyone who buys this and uses it will enjoy having it. I’m really eager to receive this and start working it.

Cheers
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1743 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
I've been using Mark Elsdon's "Heirloom Redux" but I have been considering possible alternatives. How does PTSD compare to the Shadow Wallet, for example? Is the handling easier or harder?
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4192 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I find the handling far easier than the Shadow Wallet, I also find the selection process far more streamlined and natural.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3255 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2024, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I find the handling far easier than the Shadow Wallet, I also find the selection process far more streamlined and natural.

Mark

That’s really helpful to know Mark and, having been on the fence about this effect for some time, have decided to take the plunge - only to find UK dealers are out of stock!

Neil