The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All in the cards :: Follow The Leader by Giobbi or Tamariz? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Which of these two versions do you prefer?
I really like Tamariz's version but it requires more technical skill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuN8AMY8ggw&t=16s (Roberto Giobbi)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGhCqNK8A98 (Juan Tamariz)

Thanks!

Best regards
psychoweb
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of psychoweb
I always do the the Giobbi version. Follow the leader is an effect I prefer to present in a direct and streamlined fashion because it may take some seconds for the spectators to understand what's actually happening. Because of this, Giobbi's version allows me to fully concentrate on the most important points.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1229 Posts

Profile of mlippo
I have always done Giobbi's, because it is technically sleightless or almost (I actually cull two cards at the beginning and at the end I repeat the last change by means of a Doctor Daley's move).
Tamariz's (and a few more I've seen) has a few more "convincers", but that would need more work and, honestly, I do not wish to put the extra effort in this effect, since I find Giobbi's quite satisfying.
At least this is what I think now.
Tomorrow, who knows?

Mark
Majakowski52
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Majakowski52
They both have their ups and downs. Giobbis is Pretty clear and straight to the point, while Tamariz version is rather excessive on the counting, smth I personally don't like in his routine. but the solution Tamariz finds for different stages I prefer, especially the opening sequence that only needs a single count. the counting in this effect only has a methodological reason as far as I understand it and should therefore be limited to a bare minimum.

One of my go to effects by now. Smile

Also one of the best Follow the leader Effects out there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz92KY7i9Do
psychoweb
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of psychoweb
Majakowski52 thanks for sharing Pareras' take on this effect. This may really be worth studying, as it's often the case with Gabi's work.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Follow The Leader sees to me like a "modular" kind of effect - you can mix and match according to what bits you like; and what is within your own technical ability.

I like the fact that Tamariz and Pareras both show all the remaining cards when there are four left in each pile. This is a nice convincer to fool anyone who is getting suspicious. It's also a technique most magicians would be familiar with.
Pareras's idea to move both packets to each leader in turn is brilliant. And requires almost no extra skill/effort.
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2024, Nikodemus wrote:
Follow The Leader sees to me like a "modular" kind of effect - you can mix and match according to what bits you like; and what is within your own technical ability.

I like the fact that Tamariz and Pareras both show all the remaining cards when there are four left in each pile. This is a nice convincer to fool anyone who is getting suspicious. It's also a technique most magicians would be familiar with.
Pareras's idea to move both packets to each leader in turn is brilliant. And requires almost no extra skill/effort.

Even in Giobbi's version, for example, you could regularly count the three cards remaining in each pile and then continue with the subsequent phases.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Best regards
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2024, Pyppo100 wrote:

Even in Giobbi's version, for example, you could regularly count the three cards remaining in each pile and then continue with the subsequent phases.

Giobbi's version (and many others) primarily relies on confusing the spectator. This includes the last three cards. There is only one place in the routine where the magic is simple and clear, due to the setup (and therefore more "impossible" in my opinion).

Whereas the Tamariz & Parara versions allow you to do a much clearer piece of magic after doing that count. In fact it seems to me, Parera's handling gives you twice as much effect from the same sleight, as Tamariz does.

Obviously it's a matter of personal preference, but I think it's worth the effort to get into a setup that allows the EC - if one has the skill to do so. But if not, start with a simpler version, and maybe one day evolve to a more sophisticated version.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Tom Matriq has a tutorial of FTL on YouTube. He gets into his setup using a technique that could be adapted to pretty much any setup you want. (And it's not a knuckle-buster!)
terrillific
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
293 Posts

Profile of terrillific
Dani DaOrtiz has a really good version called Followers....
https://www.theory11.com/marketplace/est......-daortiz
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Lake Worth FL
1024 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
You may (or may not) like the way I get the cards into place using the Olram. I have tightened the trick up since, as this video was made three years ago.
It's definitely less verbose when it was then. Anyways, apologies aside here it is.

https://youtu.be/J9nGSbxjlPU?si=rGg4i5WlQAbJJhp0
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3352 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Hey Ed, good job. I like it.