The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Gaffed & Funky :: Plasti-dip/SF alternatives (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
badwords
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of badwords
I want a steady supply of a roughing solution as good as SF or plastidip, but unfortunately I cannot order SF because that kind of aerosol won't ship to here (Japan). I can import plastidip but it is pretty expensive to do so.

So I am hunting for a local alternative. What kind of things can I look for to find potential alternatives? Plasti dp is like a spray on rubber grip right? So rubber sprays? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2897 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I know it's not a spray, and you didn't mention the exact use, but a roughing stick works really well, and shouldn't be that hard to get. In other threads people to mention other products they use. I think most are aerosol sprays.
badwords
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of badwords
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2023, Tom G wrote:
I know it's not a spray, and you didn't mention the exact use, but a roughing stick works really well, and shouldn't be that hard to get. In other threads people to mention other products they use. I think most are aerosol sprays.

Are roughing sticks more like a typical R&S on two cards and with the feel of a retail invisible deck? I'm hoping to find something that is only applied to one card and feels as good as SF or plasti dip.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I've not heard any mention of other products that do what SF and PD do. Best I can think of is trying to search out a similar product online that can be delivered to you, or ask your local hardware dealer in your location.

I can't imagine that Japan would not have a product like PD, though under a different name/brand.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
badwords
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of badwords
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2023, Chessmann wrote:
I've not heard any mention of other products that do what SF and PD do. Best I can think of is trying to search out a similar product online that can be delivered to you, or ask your local hardware dealer in your location.

I can't imagine that Japan would not have a product like PD, though under a different name/brand.

That's what I am hoping to do. I was hoping someone had an idea of what I should look for. Rubber spray paint? Anti-slip spray? Particular chemicals? I ordered a rubber spray to try so we'll see about that.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2897 Posts

Profile of Tom G
There are hobby and craft sprays that people use. Mounting or Testor's come to mind. Zig glue pens work also. As for the roughing stick, it only needs to be applied to one card. Like any of the products there will be some trial and error to get just what you want.
badwords
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of badwords
Quote:
On Dec 25, 2023, Tom G wrote:
There are hobby and craft sprays that people use. Mounting or Testor's come to mind. Zig glue pens work also. As for the roughing stick, it only needs to be applied to one card. Like any of the products there will be some trial and error to get just what you want.

Thanks! I'll try some of that.

I tried a Japanese brand of rubber spray paint, and it works, but after a few days of use some of the substance is starting to fall off the card on it's own.
Cookiegod86
View Profile
New user
NY
54 Posts

Profile of Cookiegod86
The roughing stick I bought from vanishing inc comes off similar to a crayon. Maybe a little less tacky and dense but it's close.
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
495 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Does anyone know what disadvantages (or advantages) crayons have compared to roughing sticks, e.g. when making an Invisble deck?
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
To the OP, one thing you mentioned in your first post was the question: "Plasti Dip is like a spray on rubber grip right?"

Yes, as I understand it, that is *exactly* what it is - a spray on rubber-like grip. Using that specific description could be key as you ask around in Japan. Just a thought.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
badwords
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of badwords
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2024, Chessmann wrote:
To the OP, one thing you mentioned in your first post was the question: "Plasti Dip is like a spray on rubber grip right?"

Yes, as I understand it, that is *exactly* what it is - a spray on rubber-like grip. Using that specific description could be key as you ask around in Japan. Just a thought.

Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear. I am having luck with some rubber sprays here but they flake off after a couple days. But there are plenty more to try. Thanks again!
MudMedic
View Profile
New user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
41 Posts

Profile of MudMedic
Have you taken a look at matte fixing spray for sketches? It goes on easily and makes a nice rough/smooth deck.
badwords
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of badwords
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2024, MudMedic wrote:
Have you taken a look at matte fixing spray for sketches? It goes on easily and makes a nice rough/smooth deck.

I hadn't looked into that. I'll check it out when I get a chance. Thanks!
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Has anyone tried Flex Seal?
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
127 Posts

Profile of spudster85
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2024, mdspark wrote:
Has anyone tried Flex Seal?

Yes. Where plasti-dip gives an even spray, Flex Seal has what appears to be little fibers of rubber. These fibers make for uneven coating. However, it still works for the principle we're applying it for. I'm guessing these fibers help build up the product quickly when there is a leak or something.

End result, looks different, still performs.
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Great to know. Thanks!
fcchief1
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of fcchief1
If you do a search using Amazon.jp there are various choices although all Japanese, no Krylon. Some descriptions are in Kanji so unless you read kanji, hirakana etc??
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Try searching hair spray. I know I've heard it referenced as a R/S alternative (which is not the specific topic here), but I suppose it could be worth a try.
badwords
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of badwords
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2024, fcchief1 wrote:
If you do a search using Amazon.jp there are various choices although all Japanese, no Krylon. Some descriptions are in Kanji so unless you read kanji, hirakana etc??

That's what I've been doing and I do read the language. The rubber spray I mentioned before has been the best spray alternative so far but I still browse occasionally for new options.
fcchief1
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of fcchief1
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2024, badwords wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2024, fcchief1 wrote:

That's what I've been doing and I do read the language. The rubber spray I mentioned before has been the best spray alternative so far but I still browse occasionally for new options.

Ah ok good luck in your search! Domo