The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The words we use :: "organic" vs "nostalgic" (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Kevin Fortin
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Kevin Fortin
I get (or think I get) what the younger people mean when they talk about using "organic" props.

My understanding is that they mean things that are in common use among 21st-century young or youngish people.

Given that, I wonder if some of these phrases might be amusing to use in some contexts:

"Hey, remember playing cards?"

"Hey, remember coins?"

"OK, cool -- thank goodness you remember coins. For a while I thought there might be some kind of Mandela effect going on!"

"But do you remember half-dollars?"

"I didn't until just recently, when I started shopping at a certain store where you have to use a half-dollar to unlock the shopping cart."
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Nowadays you could even include, "Hey, remember cash?"
Kevin Fortin
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Kevin Fortin
@Thomasj -- yeah, and I didn't mean to be mocking with my OP -- in fact, for me at age 64, magic still has a nostalgic factor even including times I never lived in. But maybe we could say that stage-magic, cabaret-magic, and parlour-magic are established art-forms, just as much as ballet is. Okay, okay, maybe also card and coin magic.

But I do wonder what the younger people might use for current props at moments when nostalgic props might seem out of place.

It's clear there was an era when office-supplies were fair game to be used as props, but I think a lot of those are no longer used in offices or workspaces of the present day.

But maybe sometimes there might be amusing ways to riff off of that, e.g., "One of my grandfathers had a little magic cabinet, but he was also a zone-stalker in his youth, which is why I stick to rubber-bands -- which, admittedly, can be disturbing in their own way."
Kevin Fortin
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Kevin Fortin
Or maybe approach or accost some strangers who might even be running away from you at the time, and just say "Hey" in a commiserating way and, "Sure, maybe these days the last thing any of us really needs right now is a moment of astonishment, but okay, that makes sense. Let's just leave that till later if ever."

And may all of you and yours and the people of our planet have a healthy and happy and prosperous and convivial New Year!