The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! :: HERMETICA (new from Bobby Hasbun) (191 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
Cheesh - Bobby is quick about it. No sooner sent an email and he sent me the manual. Wow. I agree with Will - Bobby and Prof BC are the two magic makers (if that's the right term) whom I absolutely trust and will buy whatever they put out.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5162 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2023, weepinwil wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2023, reese wrote:
I just want to use this. I have no thought to have a fancy version sit on a shelf. Magic doesn't exist until it's performed.

And if it wasn't for the collector, much magic today would not be available. We need both collector and performer. Looking at a beloved creation on my shelf brings as much magic to my mind as when I perform it. I love to do both and as I age out of the performance scene, the memories help me relive them.

Thank you weepinwil. I totally understand what reese is saying, and don't disagree, but the art of magic can also be literally embraced as "the art of magic." Collecting is just another way of showing respect for the craft that goes into creating the props that can help make magic happen.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1335 Posts

Profile of reese
Quote:
Bobby is one of my two best loved creators. His creations are always what they claim and do not disappoint when received, like many effects by others do. I have almost all of Bobby's creations and more then one of some. Looking forward to seeing the reviews on this, I know they will be stellar.
Me too! I have everything he's put out. I haven't performed his twilight zone effect yet but every other one I have. To incrible response. He & his friend S.P. are my favorite creaoters. 'cept for Jack Carpenter.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1335 Posts

Profile of reese
Quote:
Bobby is one of my two best loved creators. His creations are always what they claim and do not disappoint when received, like many effects by others do. I have almost all of Bobby's creations and more then one of some. Looking forward to seeing the reviews on this, I know they will be stellar.
Me too! I have everything he's put out. I haven't performed his twilight zone effect yet but every other one I have. To incredible response. Hae & his friend S.P. are my favorite creaoters. 'cept for Jack Carpenter.q
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1064 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2023, Bastien wrote:
Ordered the leather version.

Having read the manual, this book can accomplish things I never imagined possible.

If you missed out on Oraculum (the predecessor book that can be read cover-to-cover with nothing to be found, and can provide a personal reading while you covertly obtain the querent's star-sign with nothing spoken or written down), Hermetica can do all that and MORE e.g. force information, answer questions, reveal personal information. The manual also makes it clear that this is something that's been tested in real world environments, because many different performing situations and possibilities are anticipated and discussed.

For me, its most powerful feature is the ability to covertly obtain and reveal the querent's area of concern in a reading, which should allow for very specific and detailed readings.

I believe readings are the most powerful thing you can do, and I can immediately tell this will be a worker.

In my opinion, the many layers of deception built into the book ensures that everything is invisible and well justified. The end result, I believe, should be indistinguishable from real magic.

If you're remotely interested in doing readings, this is a must-have, IMO.

PS. If you can afford it and if you like the look of it, go for the leather. Part of the presentation is having the participant hold the book between their hands as they focus on their question and area of concern. There's nothing like the feel of an old leather book.

Well I caved and ordered. Think this is a good match for me and stands a chance of being used.
Had a read through the manual last night. I agree that revealing the concern is probably the part I'm most likely to use.

Using the book as a set of Tarot cards to just do a reading doesn't appeal as much to me as I already read Tarot and would be much more likely to just use a deck. But, if you don't currently do Tarot readings I can see this as a really good tool for learning. It will allow you to deliver readings without much effort. And once you've learned to do readings a prop like this will pay for itself.

The star sign revelation for everyone looks interesting. Not so interested in the individual one, but star signs isn't really something I do within my work as a reader. Don't have stargazer but would be interested in whether they could be integrated together.

It looks to be an interesting item on its own or combined with other reading systems. It'd fit within a good few themes. You could certainly build a good fortune telling set with it. Reading the manual I'd quite like to have a go at making another pendulum board integrating parts of the ideas within the book around zodiac and elements and to act as a crib.
I think I'll enjoy playing around with this. Some interesting possibilities.
balzar
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of balzar
A question for those who have looked through the performance manual - are there mnemonics involved in this and, if so, are they complex/involved?
bobbyhasbun
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of bobbyhasbun
Thank you all so much for the support and kind words. Only one leather copy remains, and just a handful of cloth.

I do anticipate beginning to fulfill orders ahead of what’s listed on the site, hopefully even by a week or two.

Quote:
On Dec 9, 2023, balzar wrote:
A question for those who have looked through the performance manual - are there mnemonics involved in this and, if so, are they complex/involved?

Balzar, thank you for the interest. The short answer is that there are some mnemonics but I worked very hard to make them extremely simple to where you can commit them to memory in just a few minutes and, in several cases, I built in secret cribs to avoid any memory work at all (the sigil on the cover being one of them). I’d love to answer you more specifically than I’m able to on here. Shoot me an email (bobby@darkartifice.com) and I’ll gladly give you the specifics. Same goes with anyone else and any questions you might have.

Thanks, all!
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
588 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Bobby,

Just ordered my own cloth version. This looks great. I've PM'd you and hope I'm not too late.

Thanks as usual for a great new effect!
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1064 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2023, balzar wrote:

If you've got a Dopps book test, you are looking at a similar amount. But as Bobby says it's been done in ways that should stick fairly easily. It's one of those things where you are talking a little effort learning, but not a great amount for the potential impact the piece could have. I've had plenty of book tests where there hasn't been any memorisation but you only get a one word reveal and often not a very exciting one.

I've got a little plan for a crib made up as a horoscope page and a zodiac chart. I've said before that I like making cribs. The process of making a crib generally sticks most of the information in my head and then the crib gradually isn't needed. If I do make ones and Bobby has no objection I will send the files out to whoever wants them when done. But won't be making until delivered and I can see how I want it to look.
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
588 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Joshua
I love cribs too. I f I don't use something frequently I tend to forget small pieces of info. Please let me know if you create one (perhaps an interesting fortune teller card?). Love your work and would be happy to invest a bit for same!
Dave
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Ordered mine right after Bobby's email. This looks really superb.

And I just did a quick check... still that ONE leather edition left (amazing!) and the cloths are low. I think this will go the way of all his books--zero in no time!

I still treasure my cloth edition of Oraculum, but I sure regret selling on the leatherbound version years ago. Bobby does leather the right way.

Seth
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
588 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
The possible effects are incredible, especially if you love reading systems and Tarot! Can't wait! Wish I could afford the leather, (still overstepped my spending a wee bit due to another project) but I'm happy I secured a cloth edition!
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3830 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2023, pulpscrypt wrote:
The possible effects are incredible, especially if you love reading systems and Tarot! Can't wait! Wish I could afford the leather, (still overstepped my spending a wee bit due to another project) but I'm happy I secured a cloth edition!

The cloth version looks more like a realistic find, and I think best for performance. The leather version is the best as a collectable item and will be more valuable as time passes and fewer people use and more collect. The same was true of the Outlaw books. The spirals were more realistic and easier for performance to turn pages but the hard back gained more value in time. No matter which one you were able to get, feel blessed. Merry Christmas!
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3830 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2023, Delimbeau wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2023, reese wrote:
I just want to use this. I have no thought to have a fancy version sit on a shelf. Magic doesn't exist until it's performed.

And if it wasn't for the collector, much magic today would not be available. We need both collector and performer. Looking at a beloved creation on my shelf brings as much magic to my mind as when I perform it. I love to do both and as I age out of the performance scene, the memories help me relive them.

It keeps you young Will!

If that were true, I'd only be five or ten year old. LOL! As it is, pretty soon all of my friends in Heaven are going to start thinking I didn't make it.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
balzar
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of balzar
Thank you Bobby and Joshua for providing some insight into the mnemonics involved. I appreciate the information.
The offering, as others have pointed out, looks simply brilliant.
It is now just a bare knuckle battle brawl between my bank balance, my conscience and my inherently acquisitive nature.
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1064 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2023, pulpscrypt wrote:
Joshua
I love cribs too. I f I don't use something frequently I tend to forget small pieces of info. Please let me know if you create one (perhaps an interesting fortune teller card?). Love your work and would be happy to invest a bit for same!
Dave

I've got a whole load of different fortune telling machine cards to take some inspiration from. I was thinking of a fortune telling postcard, but Alexandre released his Miss Taylor's fortune postcard and thought some of you will probably end up combining them in a set.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......forum=14

So thinking possibly a zodiac chart and then a newspaper cutting of the horoscopes. I made up an aged version of a magic tao effect, though never really liked the effect that much. But I've already got the framework for making that so seems an easy one. Can code part into there and then the rest into the astrology chart. Thinking maybe the elements and pendulum chart, but might be trying to squeeze too much into one item. Got a few bits I did for my night circus set I can probably adapt.

illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
NYC
752 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
I.....like many of you....could not make up my mind when ordering and ended up with BOTH editions of this lovely book.

As I've said many times before - Bobby's material is something I purchase sight unseen. Thankfully in this instance it was a pretty sight, indeed.

As a previous owner of Oraculum - this builds on what already exists and then just adds the kitchen sink in for funsies so that you can sit down at a table with an attentive group and jazz through an entire session of Oracle-like fun. The book is completely modular and.....I'm just going to say it....the added little extra tacked on to the end of the manual is worth the price of admission for those willing to give it a shot. (And SPOILER ALERT: YOU don't EVEN NEED THE BOOK TO DO IT!)

This is not a book test. This is a tool that is symbiotically in tune with both the performer and the participant at any given moment.

Beautiful. Just Beautiful.

And, selfishly, I'm thrilled that only 120 people will ever get to utilize its wonders. (Edit - Make that 118 since I bought both. Apologies...)

Do with that information what you will. And I wish you all a happy and healthy Holiday season.
Things are about to change........ LIGHTS!!!
balzar
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of balzar
Just made the purchase. Very much enjoying the performance manual. So many different directions to take this.
Very excited to get my hands on the book itself.
roblane
View Profile
Special user
Say 'toast' five times, toast toast.....
846 Posts

Profile of roblane
Echoing others praise for this x 10 ! Not quite halfway through the manual yet but this must be THE purchase of year. Or next year. Maybe both…….
Definition of a Freudian slip; Saying one thing and meaning a "mother"!
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1064 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Had a little go at making a crib with a few bits of info on. Made it up as a newspaper horoscope. Think it'll be pretty hidden in plain sight amongst other items.

If anyone wants the file just drop me a message. Tried to make something that's easy enough for people to print themselves and make.

photo url

And a Horlicks advert on the back. A little nod to Arthur Waite, co creator of the Rider-Waite Tarot deck. He worked as a manager for them. So without the money from malted milks we may never have got one of the most popular decks out there.