The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! :: HERMETICA (new from Bobby Hasbun) (191 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1633 Posts

Profile of Darkness
This turned into something of a social experiment. It appears that the community collectively agrees that the reseller pricing is largely unreasonable, dissuading anyone from attempting to bid. What's disheartening is that not a single bid was made over the course of four days. Had someone submitted a reasonable offer, this item could have been theirs. In fact, even a bid of $1 would have secured it. Yes, I would have given it away just to illustrate a point.
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1064 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Or people just don't like doing blind bidding? While I know you've been part of the bizarre community for many years seen a few blind bid scams on Facebook groups.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1633 Posts

Profile of Darkness
You mean 'SOME people don't like blind bidding.'

You do realize Dan even does blind bidding right? There are scams even outside of blind bidding, should we worry about them all or deal with people you can trust? Scams don't have anything to do with me selling this and if you don't know me that ok, don't play.

While it's true that blind bidding might not sit well with some, ultimately, that's not a universal sentiment! You can't please everyone, and you shouldn't have to. Especially when dealing with rare items and a market where disposable income isn't scarce, why should it matter? In an industry where $1k props are commonplace and sell well, the issue seems less about blind bidding and maybe in this case more about the item's overall demand? Who knows.

Have you every been to an auction where bids are not disclosed? Lots of people love them and those items are worth more than these silly props.

In fact, I priced the item fairly at $400, yet there's still no interest. It's clear that blind bidding isn't always the deciding factor. Some might have assumed they'd be outbid, but as you can see, that's not always the case. It's important not to generalize based on isolated instances.

Just think, if you didn't assume you would be outbid, you could have had it for $1 and just played the game. Better odds than the lottery... I bet a lot are kicking themselves right now.
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5162 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I've never understood the dispute with any method of purchasing collectibles. It's a senseless argument in a capitalist society... especially with collectibles where the value and worth is totally subjective. Sure, one can add up the costs of manufacturing the product, but even then, you have the value of the intellectual property relating to the routine and effect... another totally subjective cost... which can greatly skew the asking price if the creator spent years developing the method.

I say, don't bother worrying or caring. If the prop is being auctioned in a way you don't care for. Fine. That's not for you. If the prop costs waaaaay more than you feel it's worth. Fine. That's not for you. It's really very simple. There's no entitlement in capitalism. Participate in the process if you agree with rules of engagement, or don't.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.