The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! :: HERMETICA (new from Bobby Hasbun) (191 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Damian1031
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Damian1031
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2024, Mad0hatter wrote:
I'm not sure how to word this but when using the book's forcing skill does anyone else find themselves wishing for a different bank of answers?

If you mean it being a different sequence every time, it is.
If you mean two sets of answers on every page, I think that could get very, very confusing.

I don’t think we should go into any more detail than that here publicly though. Maybe start a thread in the crypt?
Archerfire
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
19 Posts

Profile of Archerfire
Bobby has nailed it again. This is such a wonderful item and extremely versatile. I'm not the greatest at Tarot reading yet, and this will help immensely! I love the examples he gives. They are helpful and informative. I love both books, but that green really speaks to me.

I'm already hyped up and can't wait for the collaboration with Steve Peebles that was hinted at in an email last year. Those two minds, working together? Yes, please.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1335 Posts

Profile of reese
S.T.F.U. ( keeping silent about little secret messages is a tiny hallmark of being a magician)
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
991 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Got my beautiful cloth #65 on Monday (better even if late ordering, than never!)
The aged creation is as usual by Bobby fantastically crafted.
I have never had much competence as a Tarot/"Reader" performer, but digging in with this I expect to find a few satisfying uses. I already have an idea of something to adapt with in a combo sort of way.
Sooo happy with this treasure!
Smile Smile
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
Mad0hatter
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of Mad0hatter
I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I just saw a set of these for sale on Facebook, looks like dude went to sell them as soon as they arrived.
How
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
102 Posts

Profile of How
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2024, Mad0hatter wrote:
I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I just saw a set of these for sale on Facebook, looks like dude went to sell them as soon as they arrived.

Bobby puts out amazing products. People sell items no matter what for all types of reasons and that can’t be avoided. I don’t see this as a negative impact on the creator and more of an advantage for someone that missed out before they sold out entirely. The reviews on HERMETICA are amazing and I highly recommend this book! If you don’t own it you should consider it.

FYI: I was the one selling them because I own several copies (will always own 1) and I am going to utilize the cash to put towards Bobby next release with Steve! Stoked!
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1064 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2024, How wrote:
Quote:

Bobby puts out amazing products. People sell items no matter what for all types of reasons and that can’t be avoided. I don’t see this as a negative impact on the creator and more of an advantage for someone that missed out before they sold out entirely. The reviews on HERMETICA are amazing and I highly recommend this book! If you don’t own it you should consider it.

FYI: I was the one selling them because I own several copies (will always own 1) and I am going to utilize the cash to put towards Bobby next release with Steve! Stoked!

Selling two copies of the book at almost twice the price. That's so altruistic of you giving people a chance to buy who missed out. The justification of using the money to buy the next one doesn't exactly work out, since if you hadn't bought the two copies you'd have the money to buy the new creation. I can understand the profiteering, but it's laughable to try and claim you are doing someone a favour. There are people who have got into the habit of buying bizarre magic as an investment to sell on in the future, but selling it on at a profit a month after release seems a little much. That said, thank you for keeping bizarre producers in business. Feel free to buy up all my stock of creations to sell on.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1633 Posts

Profile of Darkness
While I do not endorse, the practice of deliberately purchasing two copies of a product with NO intentions of using either of them only to resell at a GOUGED price, it's a phenomenon stemming from our past and shaping our future. It's a scenario many anticipated. Consider why only a limited number of copies are initially produced and the challenges this creates might provide insight (often to intentionally create supply and demand, legacy, and maybe a reason to increase the price for the next iteration). Just run more copies at the printing press!? BTW many people buy two copies of books its very common you just don’t know it! Sometimes it’s for a backup but often to lower the price for the one they keep. So what? IMO its often over priced anyways and there is only one person making all the money.

The world of collectibles, such as Bizarre, has always thrived, largely due to the prospect of appreciation. Despite my personal aversion (and perhaps yours), many don't hesitate to invest, confident they'll not only recoup their expenditure but also turn a profit so they buy it anyways taking it away from others. In fact, it's common to profit from the resale of most Bizarre items (with some generalization). Feeling offended by someone capitalizing early is an inherent aspect of this business, often accompanied by envy or the need to fight to support their heros or make themselves look good to others. Additionally, there are those who genuinely purchase with the intention to use, only to later decide its not for them so they sell it at a large profit. That’s how it works for everyone including you (not pointing at anyone in general)! There are few to no exceptions.

The steep prices in the Bizarre market incentivize such behavior. One could argue that these products shouldn't command such high prices to begin with. If you don’t like the market prices take a stand and say so don’t blame the second hand sellers. That’s a cope out.

I'll refrain from mentioning names to avoid potential confrontations. Nevertheless, there's been a contradictory stance expressed in writing on the café by a certain individual initially fully supporting the resale of their book at ANY price (yes this price gouge argument is years in the making), only to retract that stance later to suit personal narrative and conflicts. This speaks volumes about the individual's character and intentions. While they may have a devoted fan base, often artificially inflating demand, and subsequent escalation of prices, it's worth noting that their work is sometimes criticized for being derivative and overpriced compared to alternatives like HERMETICA, which offers more innovation at a lower cost (and it’s a book Bobby wrote). Unfortunately, the scarcity deliberately created around HERMETICA also fans the fire. There is a root cause or action reaction for everything. Don't blame the result.

It's regrettable that not everyone can afford these books upon release for the problems noted above, and for the speed at which they sell. We all have the same access to release dates and window to buy. Fortunately, if you miss it that's where the secondary market comes into play, albeit at a much higher price, which we often have no problem with as its expected. And yes, the fact is someone will benefit from the sale whether you like the resale price or not. Criticizing those who participate in this market is misplaced; it's simply the nature of the industry and we all know it. Let's see what value these items command upon your resale of them.

My intent isn't to attack anyone but rather to offer an informed perspective based on experience. Those who know me understand my commitment to truth. Others pull my posts, so the truth doesn’t exist. Only you have the right to decide what works for you.
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
How
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
102 Posts

Profile of How
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2024, Joshua J wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2024, How wrote:
Quote:

Selling two copies of the book at almost twice the price. That's so altruistic of you giving people a chance to buy who missed out. The justification of using the money to buy the next one doesn't exactly work out, since if you hadn't bought the two copies you'd have the money to buy the new creation. I can understand the profiteering, but it's laughable to try and claim you are doing someone a favour. There are people who have got into the habit of buying bizarre magic as an investment to sell on in the future, but selling it on at a profit a month after release seems a little much. That said, thank you for keeping bizarre producers in business. Feel free to buy up all my stock of creations to sell on.

Let me start out with laying out some facts rather than tossing opinions here.

Fact (1) ~ Someone is unable to buy a sold out product. Therefore, if they wanted to buy (1) they are unable to. By posting it for sale they now have the ability to purchase it. It is their decision if they want to pay the extra money to purchase it.

Fact (2) ~ Everyone on the WORLD had the same opportunities of buying the same books I purchased. This is not some special privilege I was given.

I have been around for a long time and “help” many magicians out in various ways. I suppose you see CC companies as not helping “people” out because they charge interest ALTHOUGH it may give someone the ability to buy something they wouldn’t have been able to (Food, gas, etc.)

Thanks for your input though.
How
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
102 Posts

Profile of How
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2024, Darkness wrote:
While I do not endorse, the practice of deliberately purchasing two copies of a product with NO intentions of using either of them only to resell at a GOUGED price, it's a phenomenon stemming from our past and shaping our future. It's a scenario many anticipated. Consider why only a limited number of copies are initially produced and the challenges this creates might provide insight (often to intentionally create supply and demand, legacy, and maybe a reason to increase the price for the next iteration). Just run more copies at the printing press!? BTW many people buy two copies of books its very common you just don’t know it! Sometimes it’s for a backup but often to lower the price for the one they keep. So what? IMO its often over priced anyways and there is only one person making all the money.

The world of collectibles, such as Bizarre, has always thrived, largely due to the prospect of appreciation. Despite my personal aversion (and perhaps yours), many don't hesitate to invest, confident they'll not only recoup their expenditure but also turn a profit so they buy it anyways taking it away from others. In fact, it's common to profit from the resale of most Bizarre items (with some generalization). Feeling offended by someone capitalizing early is an inherent aspect of this business, often accompanied by envy or the need to fight to support their heros or make themselves look good to others. Additionally, there are those who genuinely purchase with the intention to use, only to later decide its not for them so they sell it at a large profit. That’s how it works for everyone including you (not pointing at anyone in general)! There are few to no exceptions.

The steep prices in the Bizarre market incentivize such behavior. One could argue that these products shouldn't command such high prices to begin with. If you don’t like the market prices take a stand and say so don’t blame the second hand sellers. That’s a cope out.

I'll refrain from mentioning names to avoid potential confrontations. Nevertheless, there's been a contradictory stance expressed in writing on the café by a certain individual initially fully supporting the resale of their book at ANY price (yes this price gouge argument is years in the making), only to retract that stance later to suit personal narrative and conflicts. This speaks volumes about the individual's character and intentions. While they may have a devoted fan base, often artificially inflating demand, and subsequent escalation of prices, it's worth noting that their work is sometimes criticized for being derivative and overpriced compared to alternatives like HERMETICA, which offers more innovation at a lower cost (and it’s a book Bobby wrote). Unfortunately, the scarcity deliberately created around HERMETICA also fans the fire. There is a root cause or action reaction for everything. Don't blame the result.

It's regrettable that not everyone can afford these books upon release for the problems noted above, and for the speed at which they sell. We all have the same access to release dates and window to buy. Fortunately, if you miss it that's where the secondary market comes into play, albeit at a much higher price, which we often have no problem with as its expected. And yes, the fact is someone will benefit from the sale whether you like the resale price or not. Criticizing those who participate in this market is misplaced; it's simply the nature of the industry and we all know it. Let's see what value these items command upon your resale of them.

My intent isn't to attack anyone but rather to offer an informed perspective based on experience. Those who know me understand my commitment to truth. Others pull my posts, so the truth doesn’t exist. Only you have the right to decide what works for you.

Well put and I agree. I just want to add that at times people do buy two different versions of an item (cloth/leather) not knowing which they would prefer in hand. Another reason someone will buy multiples is to have “trade” leverage to get something that everyone else is hoarding. Often, this is what’s needed to seek the rare.

I appreciate your input and I agree with it 100%.
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1781 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Hey folks, I started this thread to draw attention to Hermetica, in the hopes of giving a wider group of people (beyond Bobby’s email list) the ability to acquire a new release from one of the top minds in our craft, at present. The points that have been raised in the last few posts, while deserving a place for sharing, are off topic. I invite any of you who wish to provide discourse over the merits of resale to begin another thread so folks can really focus on that topic in a space intended for that subject. Let’s keep this thread on folks’ experience of Hermetica, so that anyone in the future who may want to purchase it on the secondary market can gain valuable insights into how owners are using it. And sharing ideas of owners without any exposure of methodology.

Now, let’s get back on topic, please.

All the best,
David
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
Thanks, David.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1633 Posts

Profile of Darkness
“You kids get off MY lawn
All the best…”

Does anyone else perceive a subtle encouragement to amplify their own noise rather than simply ignoring a minor sidebar? It's unlikely this will escalate into a lengthy discussion. Don't fuel it would be my suggestion.

I’m just kidding, love you guys, no offence taken.

I miss being here. I believe my return would be beneficial, what do you think? oh wait off topic. The comments above indeed reflect people's experiences with this book. It was referenced in those comments. The additional details, which you may not prefer, are not cause for concern. I hope this clarification resolves any misunderstandings.

So let’s correct this for your entitlement and enjoyment.

This book rocks!!!!! Best thing since sliced bread, unbelievable home run 5 stars!

I’m kidding!!!

In all honesty, I find its price to be more reasonable compared to Dopps, and it appears to have had more effort put into its creation. Tarot reading may not appeal to everyone, but this seems like a promising entry point. I hope it receives the recognition it deserves, considering the limited number of copies released. However, I suspect it will mostly end up on people's bookshelves alongside their collection of Dopps

David, I understand that you may not thoroughly test it as a consistent performer. However, thank you for initiating this discussion. We can always rely on you for your unwavering support…

To foster the growth of our art, I encourage people to share this book beyond just showing it to your wives. It deserves broader exposure. The community will appreciate it, and hopefully, it will lead to mutual benefits and growth. Alternatively, consider selling it to someone who will make use of it. But we know that won’t happen lol

Love you guys and kind regards,

Rick
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1335 Posts

Profile of reese
Hi Rick. My copy of Hermetica is not staying on a bookshelf. It's in a tote, along with a hand-colored Dodel Marseille deck & King Khan's Black Power deck + a few other items. (One of yours!) 4 me, Hermetica is an off the shelf brilliant tool that I am using now.... Brah, I am always interested in hearing your voice & listen with interest.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1633 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Awe thanks man appreciate that. The book is good and should be used so good on ya, you are probably an exception. ha Thanks for carrying the torch we need all the help we can get in this collectors medium. I’m a big fan of tarot cards having it in a book is a nice option hopefully more people will get into it. I had to laugh when I saw the new movie Tarot is coming out. We are ahead of the curve. Its important to call out the truth in hopes of improving things. Its can be uncomfortable but to me its better than being silent. That's entertainment Smile
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1335 Posts

Profile of reese
A book I'm about to re-read (in anticipation of reading the next one in the trilogy) "My Heart is a Chainsaw". What am I watching right now: the Haunting of Hill House ( the series) the film by Robert Wise is the ultimate ( 'cept 4 the book! Books rock!)
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1335 Posts

Profile of reese
Tarot in hands is the way, the book I will use. I'm Petit, walking a thin line. Fun, plucked up stuff. I am off in the world doing strange stuff. It is very bizarre to to do bizarre for real in real life. Off the grid, g'luck!
TheLiceMan
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of TheLiceMan
If anyone ever gets bored of their copy.... (cloth or leather I don't care)..... offering 700 =)
TheLiceMan
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of TheLiceMan
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2024, TheLiceMan wrote:
If anyone ever gets bored of their copy.... (cloth or leather I don't care)..... offering 700 =)

Got an offer on this, purchase made. Very pleased =) Thanks community of brethren
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1633 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Leather one on blind auction Facebook: Look under the group - "Bizarre Magick Props for Sale"