The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Did you hear the latest? :: Just heard Paul Gross passed away (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Age 68. Condolences to his family and all who knew him.

He had a sterling reputation in the magic industry. That kind of reputation is the result of a lot of honest hard work and a heavy dose of integrity.

RIP, Mr. Gross.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1121 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
That’s a shame. Sorry to hear this.

I spent a decent amount of time during college making trips to his little shop before he created the giant business which the Magic community came to know.

Rest in Peace good sir.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1537 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Rest in Peace, Paul!

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2020 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
The business seems to reflect his ethos. When you call them, they actually answer the phone.

Perhaps a dozen times, Paul answered the phone. In my first phon call, in about 2011, I inquired bout a budget-streretching item. He advised me to wait a week, to when they'd have a 35% off sale.

One time when I called, Fresno State U had recently won the NCAA baseball championship. He was excited.

We will miss this good man.

George
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Oh my gosh I honestly with all of my heart prey that this is not true. Father in heaven if there's any way please let this not be true. But if it is true let Paul be up there with You Jesus and your wonderful Holy Spirit and bring comfort to his wonderful family in Jesus's name Amen.

Good magic too all,

Eric
Michael_Wald
View Profile
New user
Massachusetts
18 Posts

Profile of Michael_Wald
Very sad news. I spoke to him many times and he was always great. He told me, after making a small purchase, how much he appreciated my business. Seemed like a really nice man
underthetree
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of underthetree
Rest in peace
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2497 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Oh, man! This is sad. He was one of the GOOD guys...
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3368 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Sorry to hear R.I.P Paul
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
881 Posts

Profile of e-man
Blessings to his family ????
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3786 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Condolences to his family.
Paul was such a great guy to talk with. Been calling him from Australia for 25 years for advice on products. I'm going to miss him. RIP mate
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
858 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
Very sorry to hear about this. Paul, as well as Max, have always been a pleasure to deal with. Condolences to his family, he will be missed.

Robert
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1602 Posts

Profile of Jared
Paul was truly one of the good guys in our community... R.I.P. Paul and thank you for all your contributions to the art that we all love.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I'm very sorry to read of Paul's death. My sincere condolences to his family. I never had the pleasure to meet Paul in real life, but my communications with him as a magic dealer via phone and email were always helpful and timely. I am hopeful that the Hocus Pocus magic shop will continue , as Paul seems to have passed along the business to his son Max, so there will be continuity.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3060 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Sorry to hear this. Met Paul once at a Magic Live and he gave me a great price on on a collector item ... something I had been looking for, for awhile. Built a great Magic business and was able to adapt with the changing times. I really enjoyed the weekly letters/updates he would post with magic info and what was going on in his personal life. He will be missed.
Paris
View Profile
Regular user
Paris
112 Posts

Profile of Paris
R.I.P. Always very helpful on the phone. Was a pleasure to talk to.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1537 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
My wife and I visited Hocus Pocus last month and Max gave us a tour. Paul was not there at the time, I am disappointed I didn't get a chance to meet him. But Max did grant me permission to snap some photos, including a few in Paul's office. This is a small part of Paul's personal collection.

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3630 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
So sad to hear this. Thoughts and prayers for his family.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3025 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2023, Magic Mark wrote:
My wife and I visited Hocus Pocus last month and Max gave us a tour. Paul was not there at the time, I am disappointed I didn't get a chance to meet him. But Max did grant me permission to snap some photos, including a few in Paul's office. This is a small part of Paul's personal collection.

Mark

I was able to snap a few photos as well when I went up to get the sign from Dean Dill's shop. Paul was so sweet and gracious when I arrived, and Hocus Pocus is something you have to see to believe. Anyone who has the chance to go in should absolutely do it.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
brainecho
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of brainecho
All of magic is at a loss.

The wrong coffee canister arrived. I emailed Hocus Pocus. That night Paul called me in Australia to put things right. He had been at the Magic Castle doing something with Mark and Nani and someone made a mistake at the shop. I was ultra surprised by his sincerity and helpfulness, and phone calls had yet to drop in price. Never mind he had a half hour chat with me about this and that. It was a true laugh and a pleasure. He told me to keep the canister they'd sent and he would send the larger one I needed. The one he told me to keep was a highly collectable original from early last century Germany. He is such a loss. My sympathies to his family and his entire family of staff and to all magical enthusiasts.

I bought a beautiful Alakazam Wand from him. He was so proud of his Mark and Nani friendship and the selling of their lovely things. I wish I could a fitting picture here with Paul holding my wand proudly. However I am displaying it today at home in tribute.