The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: Why Word of Mouth IS The Best (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Here is a little something to tell your friends about - but first this:

When it comes to advertising, there are so many different strategies and tactics out there that it can be overwhelming. From social media ads to billboards to email marketing, it can be hard to know which approach is the most effective. However, there is one type of advertising that has been proven time and time again to be the most powerful: word of mouth.

By the way, I’m writing this for the local magicians, the ones who only perform locally in their area, it’s not for those who travel the world. Or for those that only dream of being the next DC or David Blaine by only doing card tricks. It’s for all the family friendly local stand up performers wanting to do a little better with the business. It’s for those needing more name recognition in their working area. After all, it’s much better when prospects go on the internet to search for a ‘name’ instead of just looking for available entertainment.

Word-of-mouth advertising is exactly what it sounds like—when people talk to each other about a product or service and recommend it to their friends and family. This type of advertising is so powerful because it is based on trust. When someone you know and trust recommends a product or service, you are much more likely to try it out than if you see an ad for it on TV or online. In fact, studies have shown that word-of-mouth advertising is the most effective type of advertising out there. According to a report by Nielsen, 92% of consumers trust recommendations from friends and family above all other forms of advertising. That’s a staggering number, and it just goes to show how important word of mouth is in today’s digital age.

But why is word-of-mouth so effective? There are a few reasons. First, as I mentioned earlier, it’s based on trust. When someone you know and trust recommends something, you are much more likely to believe them than if you see an ad for it from a company you’ve never heard of. Second, word of mouth is often more targeted than other forms of advertising. When someone recommends something to you, they usually do so because they know it’s something you would be interested in. This means that word-of-mouth advertising is more likely to reach the right people at the right time.

So, if word-of-mouth advertising is so effective, why do so many businesses overlook it? The truth is, it’s easy to get caught up in the latest marketing trends and forget about the basics. And then in magic, you have some of the marketing 'experts' telling you that marketing has a lot of secrets like magic. But outside the magic bubble, there are no ‘secrets’ in business & marketing, there’s only knowledge. Still, even if you had all the knowledge in the world, the fact remains that word of mouth is still the most powerful form of advertising there is, and it’s not going anywhere anytime soon. If you’re looking for a way to boost your business’s visibility and attract new customers, don’t overlook the power of word-of-mouth advertising. Encourage your satisfied customers to spread the word about your product or service and watch as your business grows and thrives.

Now if you don’t believe that word-of-mouth advertising is the best advertising on planet Earth, just walk out on the street and ask ten businesspeople. I bet you that nine of those people will say that, of course word of mouth is the best. That other one person who didn’t answer was either deaf and didn’t hear the question or too drunk to talk. Trust me, from a business point of view, word-of-mouth advertising is the best.

But very few people will or can tell you HOW to get this word of mouth. But I will, and I will do it right now. People don’t just talk; they need something to talk about. Now if you want to give them something to really talk about, give them something bad, something they don’t like, and the news will spread like wildfire. The good news always travels slower. You know that saying, bad news travels fast, good news travels slow.

What’s needed is to speed up the good news, but to do that, it must be a different kind of news, just average is not worth talking about; it has to be above average to spark the fire. You need a trigger to spark the fire, and by implementing a few key strategies, you can harness the power of word-of-mouth marketing to propel your business forward. The first step in setting up word-of-mouth triggers is to ensure that your products or services are exceptional. When you consistently deliver high-quality offerings that exceed customer expectations, you create a solid foundation for positive recommendations.

Once you have established a reputation for excellence, it's time to actively encourage satisfied customers to share their experiences with their friends and family. This can be done through various means, such as personalized referral programs or simply asking customers to spread the word. By incentivizing referrals, you not only increase the likelihood of word-of-mouth recommendations but also reward your loyal customers for their support.

Another effective way to generate word-of-mouth buzz is by creating shareable content. This can include informative blog posts, entertaining videos, or engaging social media campaigns. By crafting content that resonates with your target audience and encourages sharing, you amplify the reach of your brand message and increase the likelihood of it being discussed and recommended.

Magicians are skilled performers who thrive on captivating audiences with their sleight of hand, illusions, and mind-bending tricks. However, in today's fast-paced and highly competitive entertainment industry, simply performing tricks is no longer enough to stand out from the crowd. To truly make an impact and generate word-of-mouth buzz, magicians need to think creatively and develop innovative strategies that will not only captivate their audience but also leave a lasting impression. Just being ‘another’, magician is rarely enough, you need to stand out in a different way. It needs to be ‘YOU’ that they want, and there should only be one YOU.

One way for magicians to generate buzz is by incorporating technology into their performances. With the rise of virtual and augmented reality, magicians can create a truly immersive experience for their audience. By using digital effects, they can create illusions that appear to be completely real, leaving their audience in awe. Additionally, magicians can use social media to their advantage by sharing videos of their performances online, which can help spread the word and attract new fans.

Another way for magicians to generate buzz is by creating a memorable persona. A magician with a unique personality and style can leave a lasting impression on their audience, making them more likely to recommend the magician to their friends and family. By developing a strong brand and image, magicians can create a loyal fan base that will follow them wherever they go.

Finally, magicians can generate buzz by collaborating with other performers and artists. By teaming up with musicians, dancers, and other entertainers, magicians can create a one-of-a-kind experience that will leave their audience talking for days. Through collaboration, magicians can reach new audiences and expand their fan base, while also learning new skills and techniques.

Yes, magicians have a unique ability to captivate and amaze their audience. However, in order to generate word-of-mouth buzz and stand out in today's entertainment industry, magicians need to be innovative, creative, and willing to push the boundaries. By incorporating technology, developing a memorable persona, and collaborating with other performers, magicians can create a truly unforgettable experience that will leave their audience wanting more, thereby creating that much needed word of mouth.

And let's not overlook the one thing that ANY magician could do, and that is to simply say to the audience: "I hope you have enjoyed being here today as much as I have, and I hope you will do me a favor and tell others about my show, I sure would appreciate it. Thank You"

Now I want to share one of my personal ways of creating talk. For years, I did this at the end of all my shows after the closing routine. Actually, I gave it away in the very first line above with, here is a little something you can tell all your friends about. I would say it just like this:

"Here is a little something extra you can tell all your friends about and be sure you tell them I did it with one hand while blindfolded." (I would stand still for a few seconds adjusting my arms and then, I would cover my eyes with one hand, reach out in the air with my other hand and produce an appearing cane) Yes it was fast and over in a flash. Not a big foolery, but covering my eyes usually got a laugh and the appearing cane got the applause. Then I would just come out and ASK for the word of mouth by saying, "I hope you have enjoyed being here today as much as I have, and I hope you will do me a favor and tell others about my show, I sure would appreciate it. Thank You"

But anytime during the show, when introducing a good short routine, saying, here is a little something you can tell your friends about, is a good line to suggest to the audience that they should tell somebody about your show. At least it plants that thought, and until you plant some thoughts, you really not promoting your business. Try it sometimes.

No, word of mouth is not ole fashion and outdated and certainly not going away anytime soon. It fact, its what all the other marketing teachings is trying to create. So, if you want to succeed in today's competitive market, you need to embrace word of mouth marketing. You need to simply plant some good thoughts. This means creating an exceptional customer experience that people will want to talk about, encouraging your customers to share their experiences with others, and monitoring your online reputation to ensure that any negative feedback is addressed promptly.

In conclusion, word of mouth is far from outdated. It's the foundation of all other marketing techniques and is still one of the most effective ways to reach your target audience. So, don't underestimate the power of personal recommendations and make sure that your brand is generating positive buzz both online and offline.

In our search for a better way, sometimes all we need to do is get back to the basics.

Now Go Plant Some Thoughts,
Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Where did you copy and paste that from?

There is a huge difference in being a salesman and performer.

If you have to hard sell them to talk about you then you’re subtly not doing the job right. Just do such an amazing job they have no choice but to talk about you. Otherwise you look like nothing but a timeshare salesman.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
[quote]On Dec 5, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
Where did you copy and paste that from?

Nowhere, other than maybe from some of my own writings.

Quote:
There is a huge difference in being a salesman and performer.

Nope, anytime you’re standing in from of an audience you are selling, and that’s a fact.

Quote:
If you have to hard sell them to talk about you then you’re subtly not doing the job right. Just do such an amazing job they have no choice but to talk about you. Otherwise you look like nothing but a timeshare salesman.

Problem is Danny, everybody doesn’t do an ‘amazing’ job every show. Not to mention that half the audience may be on a cell phone for half the show.

Besides, in the business world, it is common courtesy to express appreciation for customers and encourage their return. Only those with inflated egos would think otherwise. Of course it's important to maintain a friendly tone while conveying this message.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea sure hard sell them. Do a poor job and beg them to return. No successful performers have ever done that, THAT is a fact.

You see it all the time. Taylor Swift begs for people to sell her.

If you’re not doing your job well then why would they want to return?

This is the show part. If you can’t get half the audience to pay attention to you for half the show that is not my problem. If you don’t do a great job every show, work on your show.

But don’t be mediocre and beg them to brag. Just do a great job and it happens. Organic word of mouth is the best. Not the forced contrived hogwash.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Well yeah, if you do a poor job, you better be begging or even paying them to come back lol

But I will agree that once you have Taylor Swift's Name Recognition, problem solved.

And speaking of name recognition.

When you don’t have name recognition, what happens is you send the prospect to search online among your competition, In today's highly competitive business world, having name recognition is critical to success. When potential customers aren't familiar with your brand, they're likely to turn to the internet to research alternatives. This means that you're essentially sending your prospects to your competitors, which can be a huge setback for your business.

Without name recognition, it's difficult to establish trust and credibility with potential customers. People are more likely to do business with companies that they've heard of before, or that have a reputation for providing high-quality products or services. This is why it's so important to invest in marketing and branding efforts that help increase your visibility and build your reputation.

Word of mouth and name recognition go hand in hand. The average businessperson needs bunches of both.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
And do you think she got that name by begging them to come back?

I’ll help. Absolutely not.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Also Tom with all due respect you talk about exceptional offerings and then seem to believe a bad joke with an appearing cane somehow is memorable. If that is what you believe people will be talking about you may be right, but not in a good way.

You have to actually BE exceptional you can’t just claim to be and then use horrible jokes and bad tricks. If the rest of the show is along those lines I guarantee people will talk about it.

Do an exceptional show every night. Period. No excuses. If half of your audience in on their phone half the time this is an issue. You clearly have this problem or it wouldn’t have been mentioned by you. If you don’t do an amazing job every night you need to forget about word of mouth and branding and focus on becoming amazing every night and figuring out how to grab attention so people don’t go for their phone during your show in such large numbers.

Because the simple fact is that if you regularly have half your audience on their phone and you don’t do an amazing job every night you have no business being a professional entertainer in the first place.

Constantly selling an audience is just wrong. Having to constantly give them reminders to talk about you is just not good theater. Nobody Does that during the Harry Potter play. Nobody does it on Broadway at all.

People share things they like on social media. They don’t have to be encouraged to do so. Stop pretending sales is the same as performance. It is not. It is apples and hand grenades. If performers want to be taken seriously they have to be serious performers. Not desperate late night salesmen.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny, you right that nobody will get to Broadway or get to perform with Taylor Swift using advice that’s meant for the everyday magician. You know, the local magician who does a birthday party one day, a school assembly the next day, the weekly restaurant gig that night, and then the local Piggly Wiggly Grand Opening the next day. That takes an altogether different kind of talent and uses a different business strategy. I thought I make it clear in the beginning who my post was aimed at. You may not know it, but every magician on here is not trying to get to Vegas or Broadway. They’re satisfied with just being the local hometown magician.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So bad advice is ok if it is just for local performers? Why wouldn’t you want to be the best local performer there can be? Why not have people say “wow you should be on Broadway!?” Instead of saying “no wonder you’re not on Broadway!” Why is doing better and being better so hard to want for someone? Why editor a local performer just accept that this is only as good as they can be expected to be?

That just seems like such an odd attitude and quite honestly one I’ve never ever encountered from an actual performer. I’ve never met a professional at any level at any profession that just accepts they are only X level so they will only be so good.

I guess it is just different for everyone.

Why don’t all those local folks deserve the best entertainment they can get? Bad jokes and hack tricks? Why not just do better? I guess it puts all your advice in perspective if nothing else. When I was starting the goal was amazing every night. Apparently that is only for those looking to get to Broadway or be Taylor Swift.

Once someone pays for the performance they deserve your best. Eddy you would choose to justify less is a mystery to me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny nowhere have I said not to do a great show, and you know that. But I would like for you to ask one of these guys on here that does mixed audiences with kids and adults both in the audience if they have ever seen a parent on their phone. It Happens and there is nothing you can do about it. Some may even walk out of the room during a show. It’s not like they are up on a nice big stage performing all the time, they have to deal with all kinds of situations and sometimes distractions. I Don’t care how good you are if you think every eye in the audience is constantly glued on you all the time, you have a big ego problem.

Yes, I completely agree that the show needs to be a great one, and I'm sure most here does one. Nobody getting paid wants to be bad.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ego to believe people who pay to see you watch you?

Tom don’t put your shortcomings on everyone they are your own.

Having half the audience on their phone half the time is an issue. Apparently for you.

Yes some folks have emergencies and leave and so forth. If it’s as common as you say for you then work on your show.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Man, now I have to go back and redo my year in review thread...

There are so many things wrong with this thread. First off Tom has it somehow in his head that things are different if we are on Broadway or in Las Vegas. It isn't. It is still exactly the same. You've done the same with your thoughts about those that work for/with agencies, somehow believing it is different for those that do rather than how it is for those that are self-booked. Again, it is not, it is the exact same, perhaps more to be concerned with if anything.

What you don't seem to realize is that we all have been the local guy who has done "a birthday party one day, a school assembly the next day, the weekly restaurant gig that night, and then the local Piggly Wiggly Grand Opening the next day" or similar. Do you think we all just started on Broadway or Vegas? Nope, we all started just like everyone else but the difference you seem to overlook is exactly what Danny has pointed out - we have made our shows stand out from the others, earning that position of being remembered, referred, and rebooked over and over again that eventually got us to Broadway or Vegas.

Trust me, it takes far more than the surface approach of word of mouth.

What the local guys don't realize is if you are going out with an undeveloped, just thrown together show of a string of tricks, and haven't made the priority to create the best show possible within your ability (not by your opinion but by someone who knows the greater picture such as a producer or director, entertainment buyer/specialist, coach or consultant), resources and market, you shouldn't be worrying about "marketing" of any type in the first place. You must be market-ready to start to market and if half your audience is on their cell phones you are not ready to market and you have work to do on your show. This tells me you are not even close to being memorable or referable.

This is the real problem with magic today. Poor and terrible "performances" by those not truly ready to perform. Then worse yet they put in on Youtube for others to see! It is Muuuuuch more than just knowing how tricks are done, it is learning how to perform them and then how to use them to create a "show". This is the damage done by amateurs falsely believing they are ready to work as professionals or publicly.

All that has been said is typical surface level magicians thinking and exactly why I say I would never listen to business (or marketing) advice from a magicians, let alone a former magician of 35 years!

Also a quick check shows that 85% of the original post was created by AI. So it appears Danny was right about the copy and paste of the original post.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2023, Mindpro wrote:
Man, now I have to go back and redo my year in review thread...

Yep, you sure do. You need to tell all these local magicians, and part timers, just how bad they really are, and you want all this mess to stop. You tell em boss man.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow.

Good thing everyone knows you said that and nobody else.

I for one know it is you that has so much trouble with keeping attention. I know the local guys know their stuff.

Please do not put words in others mouths. Please do not lash out just to get this thread deleted.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny, it’s just that I am goanna really be disappointed if the locals and part-timers don’t get to Vegas and Broadway real soon to meet you and Mindpro.

Oh wait, maybe that's why their goal is NOT to get there.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Tom no need to lash out. Nobody is doing that to you.

It is just not a great look.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:
Tom no need to lash out. Nobody is doing that to you.

It is just not a great look.

Really, Danny you hijacked the topic from the get-go with insults.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh no. I pointed out the difference in being a salesman and performer. I said do a great show. I didn’t insult in spite of you using AI for apparently 85% of that original post. So it wasn’t you being insulted anyhow if it was insulting!

If people don’t like posting because a discussion ensues then maybe this is the issue. If you want people reading your rambling unanswered do it on your blog for 7 people.

You keep lashing out more and more. Maybe don’t do that as much. Also use less AI in your postings maybe.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
No, not even close. Part of it may have come from one of my sites. But I have paid ads on my sites and google doesn’t allow that if the content isn’t original. So yes, I own it all.

And we wonder why others don't like posting here.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Tom all you have left is name calling and oh I wonder why nobody posts. News flash is postings are down in every section. Even where I’m not calling out inexperienced posts. Soooooo oops.

Just stop. You and AI have a position. Good.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus