The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Squeaky salt shaker (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
CTobajas
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of CTobajas
Hello:
anyone have any idea which squeaker model goes inside the famous squeaky salt shaker gag?

I'm looking for something similar in sound to Alan Wong's, or the one Tommy Wonder used in his routines.

If anyone knows exactly what kind of squeaker it is, I would appreciate information on how to make it or where to buy it.

Thank you very much in advance
rhiro
View Profile
Regular user
Southern California
182 Posts

Profile of rhiro
When I was a kid, I had a toy that was a cylindrical cardboard tube, maybe 1.5" in diameter by 2" long, with a weighted thing inside that would sound like a cat's meow when you'd invert the cylinder. It was capped at both ends so that the weight wouldn't fall out, and one end had perforations so the sound could be heard better. When you'd shake it, it would make a really funny squeak sound. When I first saw the L&L "Visions of Wonder" videos many years ago, I recognized the sound immediately when Tommy shook his magic salt shaker. I can't say for certain that he used something like this, but I strongly suspect that's the case.

I did a quick search and found this, which looks similar to what I had as a kid:

https://www.musicroom.com/cat-sound-maker-iqp03100

Hope this helps!

Ross
CTobajas
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of CTobajas
Sorry I didn't answer you sooner, I couldn't connect very often during the last month.
I think you are right, I always thought that the origin of the sound had to be produced by something "analog".
I thank you very much for your information, I find it very useful, and it is a great starting point to continue with my modest research.
Best regards
rhiro
View Profile
Regular user
Southern California
182 Posts

Profile of rhiro
My pleasure, CTobajas. I've since discovered that the toy I had is sometimes called a "Moo Box."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moo_box

FWIW, a similar toy that came out later is the "Giggle Stick." Googling that yields a lot of hits. I think those function somewhat similarly but the sounds are not quite the same. Maybe one of those could also work for you, though I suspect the Moo Box version I originally described to you is probably closer to the Tommy Wonder prop. The toy I owned had a squeak sound that I thought was charming, and I find the Giggle Stick's sound more annoying. The Moo Box I had was even the right size and looked like a salt shaker of sorts, with its perforations. (I regret giving mine away many years ago!)

Ross