The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You Oughta Be In Pictures :: The Great Anatole (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1913 Posts

Profile of Anatole
When I signed up for membership on the Magic Cafe back on January 28, 2007, I chose the screen name "Anatole"--taking the name of the magician played by Curt Jurgens on an October 30, 1962 episode of The Dick Powell Theater--"The Great Anatole"--about a night club magician who was being investigated by Interpol. Back in the early 1990's I bought a 16mm film of the episode, set up a TV camera in front of a movie screen, and awkwardly transferred the 16mm film to VHS tape.
The episode is now on youtube here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUyEzzjXwYo

I talked with Denny Haney about "The Great Anatole" once and he, too, remembered the show fondly. Curt Jurgens is the quintessential example of a trained actor playing the part of a magician. He does a great job with standard effects like the Silk to Cane, and his presentation of "Film-to-Life" is beautiful. His assistant is Barbara Bellamore is played by the lovely Dana Winter. She is the quintessential actress playing the part of a magician's assistant.

The screenplay for "The Great Anatole" was written by Richard Alan Simmons. I think he wrote some other teleplays that featured magicians.

I think the plot and the performances are equal to or better than more recent portrayals of actors playing the part of a magician in movies like "The Prestige" and "Now You See Me."

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez