The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All in the cards :: Further Than That (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Further Than That it uses the 10-20 forcing, but if the spectator were to choose the number 20, how do you behave?

Thanks!

Best regards
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
The initial instruction is "Choose a number *between* 10 and 20"
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2023, landmark wrote:
The initial instruction is "Choose a number *between* 10 and 20"

OK, but the spectator could still choose the number 20, in which case I find it a bit weak to remind him that I told him to think of a number between 10 and 20...

Thanks!

Best regards
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3875 Posts

Profile of Julie
'tis magician's guilt, but just in case...

"Think of a number LOWER than, say, 20--otherwise we'll be here all night counting cards"--(with a mischievous smile, of course.) Smile
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
If you ask for a number between 10 and 20, the vast majority of people will assume you mean inclusive rather than exclusive. (I know because I've tested this!)
Most will choose a number in the teens; but occasionally someone will choose 10 or 20, to make things a bit more interesting.
I don't think it creates a good impression to insist on your narrow definition of "between"; nor to suddenly decide that 20 is too high after all. (And 10 is too low???)

My advice is to be prepared for both these options. I can think of several ideas you might like - but am reluctant to post in this public area of the forum. Maybe start a thread in the secret area?
Topper2
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Topper2
You always have to have an out because if something can happen at some point it surely will. You could just count the first 'ten' cards from hand to hand, place the pile on the table and continue counting more deliberately one at a time onto the pile until you reach 20. Needless to say the first 10 were false counted so in reality you only counted out 9 so that when you get to 20 it is really the 19th card.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2023, Topper2 wrote:
You always have to have an out because if something can happen at some point it surely will. You could just count the first 'ten' cards from hand to hand, place the pile on the table and continue counting more deliberately one at a time onto the pile until you reach 20. Needless to say the first 10 were false counted so in reality you only counted out 9 so that when you get to 20 it is really the 19th card.

How does that help???
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2023, Nikodemus wrote:
If you ask for a number between 10 and 20, the vast majority of people will assume you mean inclusive rather than exclusive. (I know because I've tested this!)
Most will choose a number in the teens; but occasionally someone will choose 10 or 20, to make things a bit more interesting.
I don't think it creates a good impression to insist on your narrow definition of "between"; nor to suddenly decide that 20 is too high after all. (And 10 is too low???)

My advice is to be prepared for both these options. I can think of several ideas you might like - but am reluctant to post in this public area of the forum. Maybe start a thread in the secret area?

OK, can you open a thread in the secret section?

Thanks!

Best regards
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Ok, I'm feeling kind, so I have done it for you -

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......forum=37
Topper2
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Topper2
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2023, Nikodemus wrote:

How does that help???

Not so much, I was forgetting you need to add the digits together. Doooh!
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
LOL
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
"Choose a number between 10 and 20. Not too high."
AlxRosekoski
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of AlxRosekoski
You could always just change the trick and then do a different find a card trick. If I do a force, I always try to have another out in case something goes wrong so that it doesn’t look like I messed up.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3875 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2024, AlxRosekoski wrote:
You could always just change the trick and then do a different find a card trick. If I do a force, I always try to have another out in case something goes wrong so that it doesn’t look like I messed up.

This is such a good trick that we kept a second set-up deck available to be able to show the effect later in the show if there was a misstep initially. (Guess what? afer X number of years my husband has never needed to resort to the second deck. Now I've really hexed him, haven't I?) Smile

Julie
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
The ending of this effect is to produce a royal flush but NOT all spectators may know the poker scores - do you have any ideas for a different ending?

Best regards!
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
They don't need to understand poker to be impressed by the production of the 5 highest cards all of the same suit.
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2024, Nikodemus wrote:
They don't need to understand poker to be impressed by the production of the 5 highest cards all of the same suit.

OK, but if the spettator knows the poker scores I think the ending is stronger, otherwise I think it's less strong.

Furthermore, excluding poker, the ace is NOT always considered the highest card.

I could modify the setup by producing a straight flush instead of a royal flush.

Best regards!
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2024, Pyppo100 wrote:

Furthermore, excluding poker, the ace is NOT always considered the highest card.

Best regards!

I grew up playing many card games. I can't think of any where the Ace is not treated as the highest card. (In Rummy it can be used as high or low). Can you give me some examples?
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3529 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2024, Nikodemus wrote:
Quote:

Best regards!

I grew up playing many card games. I can't think of any where the Ace is not treated as the highest card. (In Rummy it can be used as high or low). Can you give me some examples?

Solitaire. I played the cards in descending order, king down to ace.
AlxRosekoski
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of AlxRosekoski
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2024, Wravyn wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2024, Nikodemus wrote:
Quote:

Best regards!

Solitaire. I played the cards in descending order, king down to ace.

The ace is still considered as a special card whether or whether not it is the highest card and I think that the audience would still be impressed with a flush if all high cards because that is rare to happen accidentally.