The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Flavors from the past... :: The Appearing Flower (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Sidney A. Salmans
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of Sidney A. Salmans
Quite a long time ago, I saw an ad in one of the magic magazines that was showing an Appearing Flower trick that used a clear magic wand. Yes, I should have purchased that magazine, but I did not. So, a long time later, I wondered what company was advertising that trick. Guess it did not go over, because I have never seen that ad again. Does anyone know about this trick?
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Do you remember approximately when the ad appeared ? "A long time ago ..." are we talking about late 1980's or 1970's ... or 1960's ?
Sidney A. Salmans
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

It would have been in the 80's or 90's.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Basically, it was elastic that brought up the flower from your hand where it was hidden. A clear magic wand would not look like a wand to a layman. Sounds like a marketing ploy to sell to magicians that should have never happened.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Sidney A. Salmans
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

I am pretty sure that it worked the same as the opaic one worked. Not actually have seen it up close and only in an ad, I was guessing that it worked because of the way light works (by not giving anything away, since we cannot talk explicitly about the secret here).
Sidney A. Salmans
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

The Appearing Flower I am referring to is the flower that appears in a flower pot.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2023, Sidney A. Salmans wrote:
I am pretty sure that it worked the same as the opaque one worked. Not actually have seen it up close and only in an ad, I was guessing that it worked because of the way light works (by not giving anything away, since we cannot talk explicitly about the secret here).

Quote:
On Dec 7, 2023, Sidney A. Salmans wrote:
The Appearing Flower I am referring to is the flower that appears in a flower pot.

So, something like this Loftus Empire Magic Appearing Flower, but the wand is clear, not opaque.

https://magicshopsandiego.com/products/l......g-flower

Click here to view attached image.
Sidney A. Salmans
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

That is correct, David.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Whether the wand is opaque or clear , I think the method is sort of "transparent".

A stronger effect would be to get a single feather flower like the one shown in the photo above (actually try to find a better looking one than that!) and use a Fantasio-style vanishing wand or vanishing candle to transform the wand (or candle) into the flower. Fantasio used to supply flowers that would work with his candles , but now I have no idea where you could get those, although I'm sure someone like Richard Hughes (hughesmagic.com) could custom make one for you.

Wait, now ... I just did a search and Richard's website lists flowers for Fantasio products:
http://www.hughesmagic.com/catalog/flowers/fantasio.html

He lists Wand to Flower and Candle to Flower. Richard is the best supplier of flower effects. Not cheap. but these are now hard to find items and the flowers that Richard makes will last a lifetime if well-cared for.