The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Grabbing and keeping attention (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
How long after being introduced before something magical happens?
Traditional advice is that a performer should "grab" attention, either with a very quick effect (flash bottle) or an engaging multiphase (C+R say).
Yet increasingly, particularly in mentalism acts, there can be a very long prologue and process before anything "magical" occurs. I'm intrigued by this. Does it work?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16551 Posts

Profile of tommy
The theatrical side of theatrical magic ought to take as long as the magic.

It is a balancing act.

See Speed in Presentation in Our Magic.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
Today's casual audience has distractions of social media, video games, rude behavior. plus little experience with live magic.
Their attitude be more "figure it out" or ego challenge than appreciation of awe&wonder.
You are in competition for any commitment of focused attention and time involvement. " Entertainment addiction" may also play apart.

So, in all new effects/routines that I publish, I recommend an Overture Approach where you are prepared to Shift, Branch, Reschedule or Stop
depending on what is learned about that specific audience and setting...
The balance of story and astonishment can vary to make each presentation unique -- plus, you can vary the Level of Magic to match expectations.

Mentalism might be avoided unless you have some prior knowledge of group expectations and experience.
It is more easily accepted to start with Conjuring and Branch to Mentalism that the other way around.

Sometimes, an engaging story can tell you have to proceed. Getting group member physically involved cna be good too.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
I asked the same question on our local magic club Facebook page and got some thought provoking responses (it is an exceptional group). Among them the observation that Jay Sankey, a highly engaging performer, never starts with a "trick", but always interacts and builds rapport first.

Slightly spin off funsway but I'm intrigued by your "Shift, Branch, Rescheduled, Stop" approach. I have just brought to maturity a performance piece (Linking Rings - rarely done in the UK), which benefits from quite a lengthy prologue, but under harsh, competitive conditions needs to be shorter - so a very topical challenge for me!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2023, ChrisPayne wrote:
I'm intrigued by your "Shift, Branch, Rescheduled, Stop" approach.

sent you a copy of OPS Magic.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com