The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Fixing a broken M_gn_t_c "locking" Key (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
In a trunk of unused magic things I came across a set of three 11" diameter linking rings that Tannen's used to sell along with Chris Capehart's 3-Ring "Stars of Magic" routine. (It's a great routine and Chris's routine doesn't actually need a m_gn_t_c key , but that's the set that came with it). These rings are lightweight, hollow aluminum, they are functional, but certainly not real pretty (kind of a dull matte finish, not bright and shiny) and they don't "ring like a bell" as some of the better rings do , but they're not bad for what they are (especially if you prefer to do "silent" links and not a lot of jangling or "bell ringing"). I might sell them, but the m_gn_t_c key is broken. The m_gn_t has come loose and the plating has come off of it, it's crumbling, so it won't close (lock) as intended. Has anyone ever repaired this kind of ring and do you have any tips ?

They are actually usable as-is, with the "lock" open and just used as normal set of 3 rings. But I would like to fix them. They do make a nice display at the start and end where each ring is shown unmistakably whole.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I think I may have the same set I got from some buddy's estate. I will have to look at them tomorrow.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I seem to have the same set. It looks that there is a bit of recessed on the one side while the other side has the m-gn-t. Either the m-gn-t has to be reattached with super glue or the distance has to be adjusted. If the M-gn-t seems weak, you could find something on ebay in rare earth that would work. As for plating not much you can do, though mine do not appear to be plated. I think mine are just polished aluminum. I use "Fltyz" polish on aluminum with good results.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Thanks Richard.

After I fix the gaff I'll try the Flytz polish to see if that can make them look a bit better.

In the past I had wondered if would be possible to get these rings chrome plated , but it sounds like from what you are saying it's not possible with these aluminum rings?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I don't think you can plate aluminum. I know I usually use brass or copper to plate. If you use steel or cast, you have to coat it first with a cyanide formula. Most guys don't want to do that for obvious reasons.
Flytz is great easy to use polish. Just wipe on and wipe off.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com