The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... :: HYPNOSIS AND MENTALISM (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21277 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You don’t actually do a little hypnosis in your act at All. You fake it. Good for you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:
You don’t actually do a little hypnosis in your act at All. You fake it. Good for you.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, buddy. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21277 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Actually the idea of redefining words to mean what one wants has become quite popular in the fake hypnosis community.

Pretending does not make it so. Maybe there is more going on than what is in the oh so dramatic video. But based on that it is pretending and nothing more.

And to be clear I’m not saying it is a bad thing. I’m in no way saying that it’s not entertaining. I’m going to say your audience likes it. I’m sure they enjoy the presentation and probably believe it is hypnosis. In the end that is really all that matters.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I can appreciate your sentiments but disagree to a certain extent. The problem with this is the audience then THINKS that it was actual hypnosis and that they now believe they know what hypnosis is. That is the problem with all of these magic hypnosis threads, effects, and trainings.

Look at how many of these magicians turned mentalists and hypnotists themselves don't really know or understand hypnosis or what it is.

Then on top of that when they attempt to perform it poorly (or misrepresented) audiences see this and then think "ah, hypnosis isn't real" or "hypnosis is only a trick."

As someone here who has performed hypnosis longer than most here have been alive, there is a huge layer to this that those here don't get and never discuss. That is the educational level and responsibility that comes with "performing" hypnosis.

Look at anytime any of us do a t.v., radio, or print media interview - the very first question is either "is hypnosis really real" or "What really is hypnosis?" People turn to us as the authority for factual information. It happen every day and at every performance you we do.

Most (audiences) do not know what it is or are unclear as to what it actually is vs. myths, misconceptions, and fakery. In every real hypnosis performance there is the fact that you, whether intentional and direct or not, are presenting knowledge and authority about hypnosis and audiences will take what you say and do as 100% knowledgeable and authoritative.

I feel it is a responsibility of anyone performing hypnosis or when claiming something is hypnosis. I think that is why so many Euro-performers digress to the street, ambush, and pub gigs as they are not formal events that people are paying their hard earned money to attend (and therefore expect authenticity.

I also feel the same is true of mentalism but that is a whole other topic and discussion.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2023, Mindpro wrote:
I can appreciate your sentiments but disagree to a certain extent. The problem with this is the audience then THINKS that it was actual hypnosis and that they now believe they know what hypnosis is. That is the problem with all of these magic hypnosis threads, effects, and trainings.

Look at how many of these magicians turned mentalists and hypnotists themselves don't really know or understand hypnosis or what it is.

Then on top of that when they attempt to perform it poorly (or misrepresented) audiences see this and then think "ah, hypnosis isn't real" or "hypnosis is only a trick."

As someone here who has performed hypnosis longer than most here have been alive, there is a huge layer to this that those here don't get and never discuss. That is the educational level and responsibility that comes with "performing" hypnosis.

Look at anytime any of us do a t.v., radio, or print media interview - the very first question is either "is hypnosis really real" or "What really is hypnosis?" People turn to us as the authority for factual information. It happen every day and at every performance you we do.

Most (audiences) do not know what it is or are unclear as to what it actually is vs. myths, misconceptions, and fakery. In every real hypnosis performance there is the fact that you, whether intentional and direct or not, are presenting knowledge and authority about hypnosis and audiences will take what you say and do as 100% knowledgeable and authoritative.

I feel it is a responsibility of anyone performing hypnosis or when claiming something is hypnosis. I think that is why so many Euro-performers digress to the street, ambush, and pub gigs as they are not formal events that people are paying their hard earned money to attend (and therefore expect authenticity.

I also feel the same is true of mentalism but that is a whole other topic and discussion.

Then there really is no issue as I always say that my performances are just for entertainment purposes only and people really should ask hypnotherapists if they want any deeper real world understanding of hypnosis. I even provide contacts for hypnotherapists in my country if they're serious.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:
Actually the idea of redefining words to mean what one wants has become quite popular in the fake hypnosis community.

Pretending does not make it so. Maybe there is more going on than what is in the oh so dramatic video. But based on that it is pretending and nothing more.

And to be clear I’m not saying it is a bad thing. I’m in no way saying that it’s not entertaining. I’m going to say your audience likes it. I’m sure they enjoy the presentation and probably believe it is hypnosis. In the end that is really all that matters.

Okay then. Smile