The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... :: HYPNOSIS AND MENTALISM (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Alexander Crowley
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Alexander Crowley
Hello to all the guys from caffèmagico, with this post I want to talk about a topic that is little covered in stage hypnosis,that is, mentalism combined with hypnosis. Now I already know that many of you will turn up your nose at this union, but think about it if we did a 1 hour show of just hypnosis and we are performing for a few people and maybe none of them go into hypnosis, how can we get out of this situation? Obviously I'm talking about extreme cases, but that doesn't mean it might not happen.In any case, I think that the solution lies in mentalism, as I have read in some books that mentioned it, but never
jared23m
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of jared23m
Hi Alex, good to hear from you.

First, stage hypnosis does not = mentalism + hypnosis. But I certainly do not turn up my nose at the union of the two. I think it's a cool idea.

But anyway, I need more details. Who are these few people you are performing for? Friends? Family members? How many do you mean by a few?

If you are performing for friends and family members, the hypnosis failing is not the *extreme* case. It is the most likely case. If you want to incoporate hypnotism into an act with only a few people, and you have not cherry-picked any of these people, you cannot base an entire act around hypnotism, especially if it's friends and/or family. If you want to incorporate hypnotism in this scenario, in my opinion you need to completely reverse your mindset. Mentalism can't be the "back-up," it must be the backbone. In my opinion, you should sprinkle in hypnotism sparingly, and you should assume it won't work, but you'll still have a show because of the mentalism. Furthermore, you cannot advertise a hypnosis show and then fail in doing any hypnosis.

If hypnosis is your passion, put yourself in a situation where it will work. Get trained if you haven't already, go to conventions, and meet potential clients that offer adequate performing environments. There are a lot of smart hypnotists in this forum, most of whom are much more smart and experienced than me, but they will all tell you this, too.

If you insist on only performing for a few people, here are two mentalism books that are extremely important to read:

13 Steps to Mentalism by Corinda
Practical Mental Magic by Theodore Annemann
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
To be honest, I am not understanding your question.
" think about it if we did a 1 hour show of just hypnosis and we are performing for a few people and maybe none of them go into hypnosis, how can we get out of this situation? "

Are you are asking what to do during the show or what to do to prevent it from happening?

If you are asking what to do during the show and you are not having any success, cut you show short, don't pick up your paycheck, and be prepared to not be hired at that venue again.

If you do not generate a good rapport with your audience from the very beginning, no matter what you do, your chances of a successful show has been detoured. Magic shows and mental magic shows are more forgiving, hypnosis shows are a completely different structure, so if you 'only have a few or none go into hypnosis' it is due to your lack of preparation.

If you are speaking of demonstration amongst friends and family, there are some hypnotic looking tricks that can be shown and also different waking suggestions can be demonstrated, but those are not hypnosis shows.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How do you do a hypnosis show for a few people?

The problem you are having is you have already established you have not actually done hypnosis shows and have very little training other than what your interpretation of what others have written.

It takes very little research to find that this sort of thing is done quite often. Kreskin leaps to mind immediately.

The simple fact is that whenever the hypnosis show is produced correctly and promoted correctly you get far more than a few people. When things are done right the situation you mention just isn’t an issue. The solution doesn’t lie in mentalism, it lies in doing the hypnosis show properly. Since you don’t do either you have nothing to base your opinion on other than what you read.

The other serious problem with your theory of the hypnosis doesn’t work is you would do mentalism as a lead in to build rapport. Then comes the hypnosis attempt and it fails. Now you go back to mentalism? Nothing would SCREAM failure louder and clearer than this! The only way forward is to do the rest of the show as if it is hypnosis. The Dr. Q act or some such thing.

If you fail at the hypnosis and go back to mentalism the failure is glaring. This is why any working professional would never even consider this idea. It is where experience comes in. You have done nothing but argue with those who have said experience. You want to insist on this being revolutionary and pretend you are teaching someone something. Once you get past that you can learn.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:
How do you do a hypnosis show for a few people?

Absolutely a great question. Seems the definition of "show" may be misunderstood. Doing hypnosis for a few family or friends or on the street or in a pub is not a "show".
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
This thread is a bit confusing with the original poster's question and premise not being very clear...

But, to the general question of performing Hypnosis and Mentalism together, I personally do it all the time.

If the OP meant that you can use Mentalism to help you out of a situation when your Hypnosis doesn't work, it can and I have done it. I even routine them together sometimes, to augment each other.

I have seen Derren Brown doing it for years in his shows and I am sure a few others have done it too.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I never knew you were a hypnotist. I don't remember it ever being mentioned here.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Please define “do it all the time” as usually trust us when the claim falls apart.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2023, Mindpro wrote:
I never knew you were a hypnotist. I don't remember it ever being mentioned here.

You didn't see this from so many years back, at least thirteen?

https://youtu.be/Bwp6YCgLDI0?si=gEmrK7ZL_Gh6ALlb
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:
Please define “do it all the time” as usually trust us when the claim falls apart.

Do it all the time as in I do Mentalism and Hypnosis together in my shows.

Everything from shut eye to open eye to pendulum work to full body catalepsy.

Together with it are my Mentalism routines from blindfolds to mindreading to bed of nails etc.

How is it strange? I have done these two together for years now. Granted, I might not call it hypnosis to the lay audience but that is what I use.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I never once said it was strange did I ? All I did was ask what doing it all the time was. As I said Kreskin has done it for decades.

But what you do isn’t hypnosis, it is body magic. I don’t know what shut eye to open eye is so I’m not talking about that.

You may claim it is hypnosis and cool no worries. Claim it is whatever you like.

But the hand clasp and the falling backwards test are what you do before the hypnosis. No matter how much dramatic music you put behind them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
I never once said it was strange did I ? All I did was ask what doing it all the time was. As I said Kreskin has done it for decades.

But what you do isn’t hypnosis, it is body magic. I don’t know what shut eye to open eye is so I’m not talking about that.

You may claim it is hypnosis and cool no worries. Claim it is whatever you like.

But the hand clasp and the falling backwards test are what you do before the hypnosis. No matter how much dramatic music you put behind them.

The Hypnosis part must mean the closed eye trance to you, I'm guessing. That part doesn't look great on a montage like the one I did so many years ago.

However, the punch that I do from afar is part of that whole hypnosis part I think you mean. Can't achieve that with just "body magic". I do a whole stuck foot and mouth after the close eyed hypnosis that leads up to that last punch to open their glued mouths. Those really need trance to achieve. Anyway, if you still don't think that's Hypnosis, that's up to you.
Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
None of that requires trance. The punch from afar is simply window dressing on a body magic effect. If you don’t know that it’s not my problem.

The stuck foot and the mouth bit are body magic sorry.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
None of that requires trance. The punch from afar is simply window dressing on a body magic effect. If you don’t know that it’s not my problem.

The stuck foot and the mouth bit are body magic sorry.

The stuck foot, stuck mouth and punch from afar doesn't require trance?
Okayyy... If you say so, bro.
Smile
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yeah, that is all just magic. It is not hypnosis. Thanks for the video. I see that you are really trying to position this magic as mind magic, mentalism, or hypnosis which, if that what you are going for, is fine. Nice video.

I have just never understood this European and other county's perception and belief of what they consider hypnosis. True entertainment hypnosis is so much more than the stuff they think and try to pass off as hypnosis - hand stuck to a table, confusion, balance, body magic, or any other things that are merely suggestibility tests but they try to pass off as hypnosis (Pendulums).

Entertainment hypnosis should be an experience. With mystery, dramatics, suspense, disbelief, collective amazement, and a process or progression that the audience witnesses and experiences in it's entirety. Not a "trick," decption, or "quick effect" as part of something else.

This is why the issue of mixing mentalism and hypnosis, in this sense that I have just explained was the real question or issue here. Where attempting to perform hypnosis without letting the audience see, witness, experience and understand the process is just cheapening it and reducing it to just magic or mentalism effects.

Now I understand that the OPs question came from this Euro-perception of what they believe performance hypnosis is (street, pubs, ambush, etc.) So if you are just calling magic, mental magic, or body magic "hypnosis", go for it, it is just a labeling thing anyways all appearing the same to the audience (or person or small group).
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Of course it is hypnosis. He has dramatic music and is waving his hands in front of people on the street. What else could it be?

The foot stuck and all that is muscle stuff. It iis body magic. If you don’t even understand the mechanism you are working with it is sad. Bigger muscles keep smaller muscles from working. Basic. The foot stuck is positioning. It is partly suggestion eventually.

Doing it all on the street is cute and all. But if you don’t understand you are not doing hypnosis that is not my problem.

The punch from afar is nothing but window dressing on falling backwards. It certainly does not require “trance”.

It seems as if you have fooled yourself more than anyone else. You demonstrate a fundamental lack of understanding of what hypnosis is and what exactly can be done with it. Doing some body magic effects on the street and putting dramatic music and clever editing in no way makes it hypnosis.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Chaikuni
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Chaikuni
I was always under the impression that hypnotic mentalist shows were more of a show to enhance the mentalism and not really something you could pull off with family and friends or a small group. But I have never tried to actually do hypnosis
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2023, Chaikuni wrote:
I was always under the impression that hypnotic mentalist shows were more of a show to enhance the mentalism and not really something you could pull off with family and friends or a small group.

Anything for family and friends I would never consider a "show". More amateur magician's thinking, not at all hypnosis.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2023, Mindpro wrote:
Yeah, that is all just magic. It is not hypnosis. Thanks for the video. I see that you are really trying to position this magic as mind magic, mentalism, or hypnosis which, if that what you are going for, is fine. Nice video.

I have just never understood this European and other county's perception and belief of what they consider hypnosis. True entertainment hypnosis is so much more than the stuff they think and try to pass off as hypnosis - hand stuck to a table, confusion, balance, body magic, or any other things that are merely suggestibility tests but they try to pass off as hypnosis (Pendulums).

Entertainment hypnosis should be an experience. With mystery, dramatics, suspense, disbelief, collective amazement, and a process or progression that the audience witnesses and experiences in it's entirety. Not a "trick," decption, or "quick effect" as part of something else.

This is why the issue of mixing mentalism and hypnosis, in this sense that I have just explained was the real question or issue here. Where attempting to perform hypnosis without letting the audience see, witness, experience and understand the process is just cheapening it and reducing it to just magic or mentalism effects.

Now I understand that the OPs question came from this Euro-perception of what they believe performance hypnosis is (street, pubs, ambush, etc.) So if you are just calling magic, mental magic, or body magic "hypnosis", go for it, it is just a labeling thing anyways all appearing the same to the audience (or person or small group).

I actually agree with this. As you said, it could be so much more.

However, I am happy doing this little bit of Hypnosis as my act. If you do more, good for you.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
Of course it is hypnosis. He has dramatic music and is waving his hands in front of people on the street. What else could it be?

The foot stuck and all that is muscle stuff. It iis body magic. If you don’t even understand the mechanism you are working with it is sad. Bigger muscles keep smaller muscles from working. Basic. The foot stuck is positioning. It is partly suggestion eventually.

Doing it all on the street is cute and all. But if you don’t understand you are not doing hypnosis that is not my problem.

The punch from afar is nothing but window dressing on falling backwards. It certainly does not require “trance”.

It seems as if you have fooled yourself more than anyone else. You demonstrate a fundamental lack of understanding of what hypnosis is and what exactly can be done with it. Doing some body magic effects on the street and putting dramatic music and clever editing in no way makes it hypnosis.

Sure, buddy. Smile