The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ninja + compatibility (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
Does anybody use Ninja + with Melero rings?

Looks like Ninja + rings are 4 inch and Melero rings are 4.5.

Does anyone have experience? Original Ninja rings are available anymore so what it is supposed to match with?
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Michael O'Brien does a side by side in his review (see 3 minute mark). From that you can see they are not a good match.

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
One solution is to mix in 3", 2" and 6" rings. Convey the message that all rings can be magical.

"Everyone knows that rings are portals to magic happenings. Here I have quite a collection to play with.
Sir, would you mind warming up the large ring for me? Hummm. These two seem to be the same size."

Using the finger ring will make more sense too.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
Thanks mates
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2023, funsway wrote:
One solution is to mix in 3", 2" and 6" rings.

I am not sure that would be possible. The Melero rings require that each be of a very specific diameter and thickness for the gimmick to work. I don't see how having rings of different sizes would allow the clean displays which really make the Melero rings shine.

But now that you bring up mixing, an extra set of the Melero rings could be bought and modified into a Ninja+ gimmick. I bet a jeweler could provide the labor for $50 or so if given the needed items.
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
Frank, sounds like you are saying a jeweler could weld a finger ring onto the steadfast ring?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2023, FrankFindley wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2023, funsway wrote:
One solution is to mix in 3", 2" and 6" rings.

I am not sure that would be possible. The Melero rings require that each be of a very specific diameter and thickness for the gimmick to work. I don't see how having rings of different sizes would allow the clean displays which really make the Melero rings shine.

I was considering audience perceptions. By dis-focusing any attention on diameter, thickness or any physical issues, their memories will be on astonishment rather and be perceptually blinbd to such factors.

Perhaps I am biased from having ring routines with cleaner displays than Malero and many effects occurring in spectator hands. The inclusion of a finger ring can be exciting and support that notion :any ring will work." So, why not expand the concept of "any ring?" I do thank Malero popularity for inspiring changes in a couple of my routines and several new sleight - but because of the the physical properties, but the audience reactions to hands-on involvement. For one thing, he demonstrates that concern over visible joints is not important.

Write me anytime for a discussion of alternative ways to achieve the desired end result without going to a jeweler. I am now intrigued by the notion of using several size/type rings from the outset. With coins, I like to start with a basket of mixed coins from which spectators select the ones I will use for an effect. Why not with rings?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Robert:
I just posted my Ninjas and Meleros for sale.
PM me if you're interested.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2023, RobertApodaca wrote:
Frank, sounds like you are saying a jeweler could weld a finger ring onto the steadfast ring?

Jewelers can do amazing things. See here for example: https://youtu.be/hPS1KOgz0HM And this is platinum with an extremely high melting point. Fine silver or bronze would has a much lower melting point.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
When I was a kid I saw a folding coin in bottle doe at the Magic Club. We had no magic store or anyway to order on line except listed catalogue items.
So, I wen to a local jeweler with a silver half dollar and described what I wanted, Two wiggle cuts and groove around the rim.

He provided the most intricate and undetectable cuts I have ever seen for $12.00, plus a promise to perform it for his family.
He used silk thread coated with diamond dust and it took him nine hours. Wish I still had it.

FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2023, funsway wrote:
When I was a kid I saw a folding coin in bottle doe at the Magic Club. We had no magic store or anyway to order on line except listed catalogue items.
So, I wen to a local jeweler with a silver half dollar and described what I wanted, Two wiggle cuts and groove around the rim.

He provided the most intricate and undetectable cuts I have ever seen for $12.00, plus a promise to perform it for his family.
He used silk thread coated with diamond dust and it took him nine hours. Wish I still had it.

Wow. That sounds like an incredible gimmick. Was the coin silver?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2023, FrankFindley wrote:
That sounds like an incredible gimmick. Was the coin silver?

All we had was silver dollars and silver halves and no paper money. This was Nevada in the 50's.

obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2023, RobertApodaca wrote:
Does anybody use Ninja + with Melero rings?

Looks like Ninja + rings are 4 inch and Melero rings are 4.5.

Does anyone have experience? Original Ninja rings are available anymore so what it is supposed to match with?

I would HIGHLY recommend using GiR with your Ninja+ set! The added “no gap” visuals that GiR allows IMO are MUCH better than the Melero displays. Personally, I do not recommend mixing different size linking ring sets together but that is a personal choice. I kind of like the “multiple size ring sets of all varieties” idea though. Like using a 4” set, 8” set” coat hanger” finger ring, etc. showing that all different size rings and ring like objects still work!
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile