The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: I want to see the manager! :: Allow changing email to blocked domains for registered users (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MartinL
View Profile
New user
Germany
15 Posts

Profile of MartinL
Hi,

I would like to change my email address but my provider (gmail) is blocked. I understand that this is due to abuse, but wouldn't it be possible to allow the change for users who are already registered? I used an old email address for my registration that is not used for anything else (in fact, I usually use this email address when I expect to receive spam).

I didn't find this idea using the search function, so I hope you don't have to read it every other week.

Best regards
Martin
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4860 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Martin, that would defeat the purpose of the block. What would the time frame be to allow registered members to change to a free server? For example, in your case, you've been here less than a month. Is that long enough?
Where the magic begins
MartinL
View Profile
New user
Germany
15 Posts

Profile of MartinL
Thank you for your reply. I had assumed that the abuse would occur during registration. So that many users register with these email addresses, who then do something wrong, are bots, whatever.
Someone who has registered once with a different email address is in the forum anyway and could do all that. So in my case, I could break all kinds of forum rules now, I'm registered and nothing would actually change if I changed my email address afterwards.
At least that was my thought, but maybe the abuse is something else that can actually be prevented in this way.

It was just a thought that I found useful.

Best regards
Martin
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4860 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Let me clarify a little. The original free server ban was set up because we had a lot of young people registering just to get secrets. The feeling was that younger folks wouldn't go out and get a paid server so the Cafe was protected. When someone registers, we don't know anything about them so the best we can do is restrict registering in the first place. We monitor new users quite closely no matter what email address they use so free server bans reduce the amount of monitoring we have to do.
Where the magic begins
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
588 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Yeah, I can't even use aol, which I have used for yeas. And FYI, kids have more disposable income then most adults these days.

And what is up with avatars HAVING to be recognizable phots of people you may not know?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4860 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2023, pulpscrypt wrote:
Yeah, I can't even use aol, which I have used for yeas. And FYI, kids have more disposable income then most adults these days.

And what is up with avatars HAVING to be recognizable phots of people you may not know?

Maybe you should take some time to read the rules and announcements which keep you advised of Cafe policies.

First of all, you can't use AOL through no fault of ours. AOL blacklisted the Cafe years ago which means no correspondence of any kind can be made between the Cafe and AOL. This is explained in detail in the announcements forum

Second, the rules for avatars are also detailed. https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......forum=39 It isn't too much to ask that your avatar show your face.

Finally, the situation with free servers was resolved the same day the original poster made his request in this topic. Free servers, except AOL are allowed.
Where the magic begins