The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Forgotten Chop Cup Routine (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Ampa
View Profile
New user
A Cellar Vault in Berlin
63 Posts

Profile of Ampa
Hello. I'm not sure to what extent I can be helped due to the lack of description, but I'll try nonetheless. I've been cleaning up for a few days and found a velvet bag with Chop Cups. I had learned a routine several years ago that used only one cup, a shot glass, and a silk handkerchief. Maybe someone can jog my memory?
drmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of drmagic
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2023, Ampa wrote:
I had learned a routine several years ago that used only one cup, a shot glass, and a silk handkerchief. Maybe someone can jog my memory?

Larry Jennings' Chop Cup routine used the aforementioned props. It can be found on the L&L Publishing "Worlds Greatest Chop Cup Routines" DVD.
Ampa
View Profile
New user
A Cellar Vault in Berlin
63 Posts

Profile of Ampa
Amazing exactly this is the one...How can I ever thank you for this? Smile I asked dozens of people in the Magic Circle (Germany), and no one could tell me what I meant. You're the best. You can't imagine how long I've been searching for this. You've brought me incredible joy. Here's to you! EDIT: I watched nearly every DVD and Book from Ammar to Alexander De Cova, and I had no clue where to find it until now. You made someone very happy today.
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23D5qs2Opyo
Also published in: The Uncanny Scot Ron Wilson
Ampa
View Profile
New user
A Cellar Vault in Berlin
63 Posts

Profile of Ampa
In both cases, exactly the routine I mean... you guys are the best. What a cute little routine, isn't it? Smile It brings back so many memories. Thanks to all of you.
drmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of drmagic
Glad to help, Ampa.
MagicMaccabee
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of MagicMaccabee
What's more, you can find a photo-illustrated write-up of Larry Jennings' "Single Cup and Ball Routine" on pages 279-282 of the new Charlie Miller/Magicana anthology.
But don't miss Jim Swain's version of Jennings' Famous Chop Cup Routine on pages 149-156 of Swain's excellent 21st Century Card Magic. A fabulous routine.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2023, drmagic wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2023, Ampa wrote:
I had learned a routine several years ago that used only one cup, a shot glass, and a silk handkerchief. Maybe someone can jog my memory?

Larry Jennings' Chop Cup routine used the aforementioned props. It can be found on the L&L Publishing "Worlds Greatest Chop Cup Routines" DVD.

Quote:
On Nov 12, 2023, MagicMaccabee wrote:
you can find a photo-illustrated write-up of Larry Jennings' "Single Cup and Ball Routine" on pages 279-282 of the new Charlie Miller/Magicana anthology.

Or if you're a Genii subscriber , you can look it up in the Genii digital archives.

There are actually two Jennings cup routines that were published (with photo illustrations) in Magicana:

'Larry Jennings Single Cup and Balls Routine' in Magicana edited by Charles Miller, Genii Vol. 34 No. 9 , May 1970.

and

'Larry Jennings Famous Chop Cup Routine' in Magicana edited by William Read Woodfield and Charles Miller, Genii Vol. 29 No. 7 , March 1965.

Woodfield & Miller write:

"Night after night Larry performs this routine at "THE MAGIC CASTLE" and it has become famous
among Castle visitors. To only one person, however has Jennings revealed the move by move secret of his flaw-
less mystery. This person was the late Al Wheatley, better known as CHOP CHOP, the brilliant inventor of the
Chop Cup. Chop Chop told Jennings that the routine was the most beautiful that he had even seen performed
with his cup - So impressed was Wheatley with the routine that he made Mr. Jennings promise never to show
the routine to any other magician. Jennings kept this promise until Wheatley's recent death. Now for the first
time, in memory of his friend Chop Chop, Jennings presents his famous CHOP CUP ROUTINE to the readers
of MAGICANA."

Larry Jennings performing his chop cup routine -

https://youtu.be/lzWxZBG14V8?t=168

Jim Swain's -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi7pm6BIS5c