The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Let there be magic! :: I invented a new type of Color Monte now what do I do? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Melodius
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Melodius
I am 60 years old and got interested in card magic 5 months ago. I have bought and watched Royal Road and am currently studying chapters 3 & 4 of card college. So basically I am a complete newbie.

Recently I was watching Alvo Stockman’s zombie monte and realized I had an idea for a color Monte routine that I think is original. I created and ordered the cards from a magic print shop and showed the routine to some friends and it seemed to go well.

My question is will any one Theory 11 or Penguin or Magic Makers be interested in this and if so who’s the best?
jared23m
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of jared23m
I think you'll find that Penguin is the best partner suitable for a Color Monte.

Here is a link to their partnership program that you can apply for: https://www.penguinmagic.com/about/partner-program

But before you do that, I recommend doing some research on copyright laws when it comes to magic effects, and check to make sure your invention is original and hasn't been published yet. This can take a lot of grunt work unfortunately, and it's going to vary depending on what country you live in.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3699 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
There’s a 99% chance that your routine is not original. And even if it is, distributors aren’t interested in routines - their interest is in the mechanics of the effect
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2023, jimhlou wrote:
distributors aren’t interested in routines - their interest is in the mechanics of the effect

I think that Penguin Magic and Deuce Gala are exceptions to this general trend. Penguin has a long history of releasing color monte variations. For example, Dan Harlan had a run of holiday specific (Valentine Day, Easter, Saint Patrick's Day) monte tricks with Penguin in addition to the above mentioned Zombie Monte. Deuce Gala has done a lot of work translating playing card tricks to other types of cards, e.g. PokeMonte which uses Pokemon cards.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you are this new really do your research.

When I first started I got angry when I found out that Alex Elmsley stole an effect from me. It got worse because the cheeky bloke had the nerve to print it, like 20 years before I was born. But naturally the politics of him being better known, and some nonsense about time travel not being possible everyone believed him and not me.

No matter how original you think you are reinvention happens a lot. Do your research.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell