The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Scotch & Whiskey by Tom Elderfield & Hanson Chien Presents (220 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..18~19~20~21~22..25~26~27 [Next]
Koolmagicguy
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Koolmagicguy
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2024, MagicRichyRich wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2024, Mason Harney wrote:
Put Blu tac both sides of the housed shell and you will get it out after a bit of trying M

Thanks,
I even tried using two magnets on both sides to pull apart and it still didn't budge.
And it was a very tiny piece of dbl stick tape, not a big piece....but its holding strong!

TMC

Super glue a grabbable object to each side and allow to completely dry. Pull apart and then break them off and sand down after.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
Perhaps heating using a blow dryer will soften the tape.
MagicRichyRich
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of MagicRichyRich
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2024, videoman wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking about this...JUst need to loosen the tape a bit....The 2 magnets I have on either side are pulling like crazy....i'm shocked that this gimmick hasnt opened up.
MagicRichyRich
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

UPdate:

Hair blower NO GO...didnt loosen.
natsuy
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of natsuy
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2024, ArtIn wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2024, natsuy wrote:
Anybody here from Germany who have received their item?

I didn’t received mine yet.
Status didn’t changed - still in transit to DHL (for weeks) - very strange.
HC Team told me last week to look into it…

Same status as mine , onward transport to DHL since 21st December
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I was thinking about this...JUst need to loosen the tape a bit....The 2 magnets I have on either side are pulling like crazy....i'm shocked that this gimmick hasnt opened up.

I think using the tape may be a good idea if the movement bothers anyone, but based on your experience obviously one needs to remove a bit more of the stickiness or use a repositionable tape.
MagicRichyRich
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think using the tape may be a good idea if the movement bothers anyone, but based on your experience obviously one needs to remove a bit more of the stickiness or use a repositionable tape.

yES DEFINITELY! Right now I'm still trying to figure out how to get it apart. 2 MAGNETS on either side is still not working. Looks like I might have to tell my nephew it's junk now! Such a shame.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3026 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
It's definitely not junk, so don't give up on it! As others have said, there are a number of different methods to work on getting it apart. Patience and creativity win out when it comes to these things!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
BeePM
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of BeePM
Freezing will also reduce the adhesive ability of the tape (and doesn't affect the M*****s, in fact the opposite}.

Also, as mentioned, when pulling apart be as far away from where the tape was placed as you can to add some leverage into the mix.

If freezing doesn't work then maybe stick some strong double sided tape either side of the thin tip end of the key and then stick the magnets to these slivers of tape. This should give you extra purchase when pulling apart and the tape and any glue residue can always be removed with some isopropyl alcohol afterwards.

Good luck, I hope you get a result, echoing that patience and perseverance is the key.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4196 Posts

Profile of warren
Finally got mine today and as others have said the quality is top notch Smile
MagicRichyRich
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FG......5U&psc=1

Is this the correct Blu Tac?

Thanks in advance,
The Magic Corner
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1707 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Quote:

This method should work.
MagicRichyRich
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 3, 2024, ArtIn wrote:
Quote:

This method should work.

Tried the hair blower and freezing
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3218 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Completely soak the key in solvent, it will break down the tapes adhesive. Maybe every few hours, do your normal prying, that will allow some of the solvent to make its way across the tape. May have to soak 24+ hours, but this will guaranteed do the trick Smile
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
MagicRichyRich
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 3, 2024, lunatik wrote:
Completely soak the key in solvent, it will break down the tapes adhesive. Maybe every few hours, do your normal prying, that will allow some of the solvent to make its way across the tape. May have to soak 24+ hours, but this will guaranteed do the trick Smile

What kind of solvent?

Thx,
The Magic Corner
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:

But don’t you also run the risk of detaching the magnet inside the shell?
I guess if so you could glue it back in. But there is a sticker inside as well, of course that may come out with the tape anyway.

Seems like using 2 magnets might just be fighting each other. Use the ds tape to stick the shell securely to a clean, smooth surface and then more tape on the opposite side. Or if you have a wide variety of magnets as many magicians do you can combine them to increase the magnetic pull. I have several large flat N52 disc magnets that I’m sure would get it out.

But what I don’t understand was how much tape was used? Doesn’t seem like a couple small pieces of standard ds tape would adhere with such power. I want some of whatever superpowered tape was used for other purposes.
MagicRichyRich
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

But don’t you also run the risk of detaching the magnet inside the shell?
I guess if so you could glue it back in. But there is a sticker inside as well, of course that may come out with the tape anyway.

Seems like using 2 magnets might just be fighting each other. Use the ds tape to stick the shell securely to a clean, smooth surface and then more tape on the opposite side. Or if you have a wide variety of magnets as many magicians do you can combine them to increase the magnetic pull. I have several large flat N52 disc magnets that I’m sure would get it out.

But what I don’t understand was how much tape was used? Doesn’t seem like a couple small pieces of standard ds tape would adhere with such power. I want some of whatever superpowered tape was used for other purposes.

It was only a tiny sliver of double stick tape that was put in that's what's so perplexing. The two magnets would not be fighting each other it actually makes the pull have more strength. I've also added several magnets and combine them to add more strength to no avail.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1813 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Tape tends to be most strong in the direction perpendicular to the surface - and weaker in shear (if you're peeling it).
So yes, it's surprising (and also not what I would expect) but you're also trying to detach it in just the hardest way.

The magnet inside the shell is probably OK - because it's covered by the sticker. Which I was also going to point out, but at the same time ... it might be in trouble anyway because of the tape on it.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1859 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2024, LankyHobo wrote:
Anyone else not receive the magnet? I got the deluxe package and both boxes just have an empty space where the magnet should be.

I am sorry to hear that especially since one of the reasons for the orders getting shipped late was because they wanted to be sure of the quality.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
LankyHobo
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
Thanks. Yeah it was a bit annoying, but I actually found one in my box of random stuff (junk hoard!), and it seems to be exactly the same thing so all good!

Regarding the gimmick itself though it's definitely excellent quality and they nest beautifully. Looking forward to performing this soon. Smile