The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Scotch & Whiskey by Tom Elderfield & Hanson Chien Presents (220 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..9..13..17..21..25~26~27 [Next]
Roberto W
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
Yeah that makes sense - thanks.
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2023, Roberto W wrote:
Also just curious why people would specifically want this locking version over a non locking version (Chris’s)?

I would ask the opposite. Why would anyone want a non-locking version if a locking version were available? Especially given the nature of this type of trick.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3366 Posts

Profile of tophatter
I agree with RNK I never liked performing Hide a key because you have to be careful with the display after the vanish . Locking is the way to go
I will picking this up for sure !
BernieSantos
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of BernieSantos
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2023, NicholasD25 wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2023, Roberto W wrote:
Also just curious why people would specifically want this locking version over a non locking version (Chris’s)?

I would ask the opposite. Why would anyone want a non-locking version if a locking version were available? Especially given the nature of this type of trick.

I never found the display of hideaway awkward or difficult. Noticing makes it more versatile and no reset.

Neither is examinable. I guess it just depends on what you are going to do with the.

The name bothers me.
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of sjrw
What’s the point in a key that doesn’t lock? Is it even a key any more?
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of sjrw
On the website it says:

“SPRING KEYCHAIN
We LEAVES NO DETAIL UNATTENDED and that includes the keychain. Not only is it built tougher than your average keychain, but it also boasts the ability to securely cradle your precious gimmick and easily attach to your pants.This means no more pocket clutter and reduced risk of gimmick damage, ensuring a seamless performance.”

Does that mean carrying this on our regular key chain is a bad idea? Would that risk damaging the gaff?
I wouldn’t want to have to start carrying two separate sets of keys…
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
My understanding is that Scotch and Whiskey is examinable. And I suspect that carrying it on your regular key ring won’t in itself damage the gimmick as long as a little care is used in getting it on and off.
LankyHobo
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2023, Alex DLF wrote:
I didn't see the info but how is the reset? Is an extra tool required or can we reset it as a Magnetic Scotch and Soda just by tapping?

I would also be interested to know this.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
Typically in the past props that lock are considered examinable but in recent years that has changed somewhat. More and more props lock magnetically and those are not always examinable.

Plus, there are different opinions as to what is examinable or not. Some people consider a magnetic Scotch and Soda set to be examinable while others do not. I guess it depends on the amount of examination that is possible or to what extent a prop can be scrutinized. The definition of what constitutes “reasonable” examination can be different. Look at the Quantum Deck as a case in point.
Hanson Chien
View Profile
New user
Taipei City, Taiwan
58 Posts

Profile of Hanson Chien
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2023, Magic KL wrote:
Looks like you get more info after you subscribe at https://www.whiskeymiracle.com
After I hit join, they automatically sent me a link to a web page with A LOT of information!
The keys look normal to me. They are like the ones I have for my filing cabinets at my office.

Yes, you can find out more info at the website you mentioned.

Our goal is to design the prop to resemble a regular key. In my opinion, many key props on the market don't look like real keys. The only key prop I will carry is Jeff Prace's MON-KEY.

PS: Those who sign up for the newsletter before 25th of October, we will randomly pick 3 lucky winners to gift them Scotch and Whiskey.
LankyHobo
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
Are you able to give any info on the reset please, Hanson? Thank you. Gimmick looks amazing, great work.
Hanson Chien
View Profile
New user
Taipei City, Taiwan
58 Posts

Profile of Hanson Chien
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2023, NicholasD25 wrote:
My understanding is that Scotch and Whiskey is examinable. And I suspect that carrying it on your regular key ring won’t in itself damage the gimmick as long as a little care is used in getting it on and off.

Yes, Scotch and Whiskey can be fully examined.

I've had them on my keychain for half a year, ready to perform anytime, anywhere. I have to say it's really awesome; it's a true "EDC" (Everyday Carry).

This is a video clip of my performance using it in an online event (from 02:25 to 04:40): https://reurl.cc/QZ2YY0
Hanson Chien
View Profile
New user
Taipei City, Taiwan
58 Posts

Profile of Hanson Chien
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2023, LankyHobo wrote:
Are you able to give any info on the reset please, Hanson? Thank you. Gimmick looks amazing, great work.

You don't need to use a bang ring; all you require is a magnetic unlocking tool.

The great thing is that we've designed this tool to be stored together with your keys, so you don't need to worry about losing it.

After performing once, it takes 10 seconds to reset. If you carry this trick with you and suddenly want to perform it, it only takes 10 seconds to prepare.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1813 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2023, Hanson Chien wrote:
Yes, you can find out more info at the website you mentioned.

Our goal is to design the prop to resemble a regular key. In my opinion, many key props on the market don't look like real keys. The only key prop I will carry is Jeff Prace's MON-KEY.

PS: Those who sign up for the newsletter before 25th of October, we will randomly pick 3 lucky winners to gift them Scotch and Whiskey.

Just to be clear: is the "newsletter" you're speaking of the form for more info on https://whiskeymiracle.com/? Or is there some other place to sign up?
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4196 Posts

Profile of warren
I like that you can do a copper/silver transposition phase before making the key vanish but I would be worried about losing the reset tool as it's not all self contained.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
I believe it is magnetic which is generally considered to be “locking” and in many cases that is examinable as well simply because it locks. It’s unclear to me the distinction you’re making between magnetic and locking.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2023, warren wrote:
I would be worried about losing the reset tool as it's not all self contained.

Quote:
On Oct 24, 2023, Hanson Chien wrote:

The great thing is that we've designed this tool to be stored together with your keys, so you don't need to worry about losing it.

In addition, I’m sure you can use almost anything of this “type” to reset it, it doesn’t have to be the specific tool.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7575 Posts

Profile of RNK
I highly doubt Hansen only performs with examinable props. That's the point to remember. Everything doesn't have to be examinable to have success. So please Roberto W. can you please not go down this same road again for the 20th or 30th time? I think everybody knows how you feel about this. You really think creators would keep making non-examitable props if they weren't purchased and used?

Please everybody, just agree with him so we don't have to keep hearing about how all the people in the real world thinks and how props need to be examinable for the most part etc.

Why is it hard for you to accept that not everybody agrees and that it's okay that some people use examinable props? You have your opinion and others have theirs, but you really sound like a broken record at this point.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Hanson Chien
View Profile
New user
Taipei City, Taiwan
58 Posts

Profile of Hanson Chien
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2023, Patrick Kun wrote:

I have the early copy of this. It literally takes like 1-2 sec to pull apart with the provided magnet tool. The key is completely examinable.

Thanks Patrick. It indeed only takes 1-2 second to unlock the key. When I mentioned 10 seconds, it was a more conservative estimate. The time it takes can naturally vary from person to person. Personally, I can set it up in about 5 seconds and I can perform the basic routine again.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3366 Posts

Profile of tophatter
When wil this be available to purchase from U.S. dealers ?