The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Please read this thread before posting about Ambitious Card! (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
InstantMagicBen
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of InstantMagicBen
Thanks, great info! that's my afternoon planned!
bidbid
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of bidbid
Nice job really useful
mercedesrules
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of mercedesrules
......Thanks for this list. I am looking at it because of a trick Ekaterina performed on "Your Bleeped Up Brain".
JD Draws Things
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of JD Draws Things
Great use of a sticky, thank you
TheMagicEgg
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of TheMagicEgg
So many years on from the original post and I for one am very thankful it still exists! Many thanks Samuel.
ClungeMagnet
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of ClungeMagnet
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2004, Otis Day wrote:
What's wrong with asking questions that have already been answered?

I agree. Who needs to spend precious time pointlessly searching a forum when you can just ask the same question hundreds of people have asked and thousands of people have answered before?
Xsyllman
View Profile
New user
Virginia, USA
13 Posts

Profile of Xsyllman
I'm (very) late to this dance, but please pardon my waltzing in here to make a brief comment (my second post, overall, in the Café). Although there has been a few comments about the need for Samuel's post, which aggregates many Café threads about this topic (as well as LeConte's thread for the Double Lift), I find it to be <b>EXTREMELY</b> useful as a new member here. While there is clearly an order to the seeming chaos of the forum, new members such as myself are (and will likely be, for some time) still finding their way around. It's like going to a new job, at a new building, midway through one's career: Although one is well-versed in the matters of his profession, one still has to acclimate himself to the new surroundings. Directional signs, which longtime residents might take for granted, greatly assist the new arrivals.

So, a big "thank you" to Samuel and to LeConte for their efforts in providing the equivalent of a directional sign for these two topics. I know that there's a 'Search' function available, but these two aggregations save me that particular step. Please note that I'm not attempting any disputation toward those who believe Samuel's and LeConte's work to be redundant or unnecessary. I'm merely posting this comment to say that some folks, and especially newbies like myself, find them to be very helpful.
dleiber
View Profile
New user
Temecula, CA, USA
29 Posts

Profile of dleiber
Ditto what many others have said. Thanks for compiling the original list of links and making it sticky. Info here is voluminous and things like this are especially helpful to newbie visitors.
MarloFan93
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of MarloFan93
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2015, Xsyllman wrote:
I'm (very) late to this dance, but please pardon my waltzing in here to make a brief comment (my second post, overall, in the Café). Although there has been a few comments about the need for Samuel's post, which aggregates many Café threads about this topic (as well as LeConte's thread for the Double Lift), I find it to be <b>EXTREMELY</b> useful as a new member here. While there is clearly an order to the seeming chaos of the forum, new members such as myself are (and will likely be, for some time) still finding their way around. It's like going to a new job, at a new building, midway through one's career: Although one is well-versed in the matters of his profession, one still has to acclimate himself to the new surroundings. Directional signs, which longtime residents might take for granted, greatly assist the new arrivals.

So, a big "thank you" to Samuel and to LeConte for their efforts in providing the equivalent of a directional sign for these two topics. I know that there's a 'Search' function available, but these two aggregations save me that particular step. Please note that I'm not attempting any disputation toward those who believe Samuel's and LeConte's work to be redundant or unnecessary. I'm merely posting this comment to say that some folks, and especially newbies like myself, find them to be very helpful.

So well put Xsyllman, I have been doing a serious ACR for 10 years or more and have not really changed it much in the past 6-7 years but that has changed now. This Post helped me so much in so many ways. Not just with ACR but also with performance and magical theory in general.

And yes these forums can be very chaos fueled and this does help point around in some of the right directions.

THNAKS so much for your work and effort. You have truly helped the profession more than you will ever realize.
steadyeddy2000
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of steadyeddy2000
Vey helpful, thank you!
HofzinsersFan
View Profile
New user
Scotland
81 Posts

Profile of HofzinsersFan
I love this thread and not only because I have hated the ACR for as long as I can remember. First time I saw it I think was the only time I was actually impressed with it and it seemed like real magic. At the time I didn't know any sleights and had not heard of such things as a double lift, for example.
Because you don't understand such concepts as being one ahead, or one behind from the spectators perspective, then you can so easily be completely bamboozled by this trick! A fact that has hit me in the brain cell today and made me realise that I really ought to be doing this fine effect. Now that I've done card magi for over 3 years the sleights involved are not beyond me. In fact they are among the easiest that I know, so I can't wait to start arranging the effect to my liking.
That is where a thread like this is invaluable! I can literally go looking at how other people arrange the phases and what their chosen way is, I can borrow a bit here, a bit there, throw in this part, discard this idea...you see, it's just great. It gives me such scope for choosing what I think will be the most effective way to present the effect and which phases are the good ones or the ones that fit my style.
I just want to offer a big THANK YOU to all involved and especially Samuel for creating the thread.
It will never lose its value to newbies and old pros alike I reckon.
Smile
Smile
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

.Smile What do you mean you don't read?

You need to read FITZKEE
- Dick Oslund, 2019.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Sometimes, it’s not the effect but more so you…You just gotta grow a bit to see some things you can’t seem to see from wherever you are. What you found was always there, just that you weren’t there yet. And if you’re not wherever “there” is yet, you very well may not like something or have any better appreciation for it until you get to a better part of the “there” in you. Makes me think of kids when on a journey, they constantly sit in the back of the car asking, “Are we there yet?” Smile

For coin guys, Coins Across is a lot like this. As you grow in the art you learn more of the possibilities in the effect and yourself. You mix & match moves & ideas and commonly create your own thing, from a little bit of this and a little bit of that from your journey…I know I did. Smile

Anyway, glad you’ve gotten to this point with ACR. I’ve just recently came to yet another rendition of it for myself, and it keeps getting shorter & shorter, as for me these days, less is more. Smile Remember to just keep going, as there’s even more out there to better realize than you do. Smile

Good journey to you.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile