The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! :: Haunted Key has Obvious Explanation? (31 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1179 Posts

Profile of shakuni
Some say that Haunted key has an obvious solution, and will not fool anyone, and that spectators are just being polite, and not amazed, when they see it.

If anyone has actually used the haunted key with proper buildup, and correct method, then there is no explanation for it.

Of course, as Veron and Tamariz say, that once the spectator has "a explanation" then they will think that's the correct solution, and we must work hard to eliminate all possible explanations from the tricks we do, and that applies to Haunted Key too.

What do you think about it? Does Haunted Key have an obvious solution?

Thanks!
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2023, shakuni wrote:

Thanks!

In the hands of a good performer, no one cares about the method, the trick should never be the effect. Acting and staging routines and tricks is what makes the difference between a poor schmock and an artist. If the audience looks for the solution of the trick, well, you have a problem.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2020 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
I perform the Haunted Key in the service of a narrative, often as a parlor show closer. The audience is always fully on board.

Or course, method matters. If a wannabe performer lets gravity do the work, it will be obvious to many people in the audience. But if one employs the I-------M----R method (I use the Carlyle positioning) and the performance is interesting enough to make it about the effect, people don't even think about method. They often was to see if the key will turn on their palm.

George
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2023, The Curator wrote:
Quote:

Thanks!

In the hands of a good performer, no one cares about the method, the trick should never be the effect. Acting and staging routines and tricks is what makes the difference between a poor schmock and an artist. If the audience looks for the solution of the trick, well, you have a problem.

This. Just this.
BC
Phasmologist
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2020 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
IF, indeed, the key turns as explained by the mid-nineteenth theory posited by Carpenter, the audience would NOT suspect it because . . . they never heard of it. The purported explanation is not widely known at all.

George
TEB3
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
387 Posts

Profile of TEB3
My routine "The Key From The Past" is still working since the late 1970s. The whole thing is in The Bigger Book of BOO! available from Lulu.
https://www.lulu.com/shop/lary-kuehn/the......geSize=4
Bogbadger
View Profile
Special user
England
627 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
I'm not a particularly good performer but can absolutely guarantee that 99% of participants who have experienced my Prof BC RCGC were not being polite - the words they sometimes say when it moves are definitely not polite especially when it moves in their hand.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
When that key moves in the spectator's own hand...

That's pretty darn close to real magic as far as they're concerned!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
jb13
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of jb13
“Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.”

- Friedrich Nietzsche
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1064 Posts

Profile of sbays
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2023, The Curator wrote:
Quote:

Thanks!

Absolutely. I use the HK to open a seance. Not as an effect, but as part of a ritual and symbolism. That being said, the reactions have always been very strong.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
amazingadan
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of amazingadan
Wow, so glad people are talking about this. First let me say that clearly I agree with others here that it's about the performer and performance, not the effect, etc.

Now let me offer my own blunt, personal take, which is exclusively from my own point of view...I think haunted key is an overrated effect. It's a curiosity which in the hands of a great performer can be a miracle -- but the same could be said for any effect. Truthfully, I think far more spectators than we realize are essentially able to "figure it out."

The best haunted key performance of my life so far was on a date in an old antique shop. I saw a perfect haunted key, picked it up, and started 'feeling its vibrations' and all. When my date looked up at me, I did the effect, and it turned out to be the most perfectly balanced key I'd ever used...the effect was stunning. Unfortunately my date got a bit scared after that as she didn't know I was a magician...

Why was that performance so good though? To me, the answer is context. She was not expecting a magic trick, and it was with an object that we came across organically in an old antique store. Also, as I mentioned, she did not know I was a magician.

This echoes the responses of others above -- it comes down to the individual performance and connection between the performer, the effect, and the spectator. However, I do think that if I were at the bar and pulled this key out of my pocket to show someone magic, a LOT of people would figure it out. It's 2024 and people are more aware about science, illusions, and other various phenomena that baffled audiences 100 years ago. A good magician can make any effect great, and the classics still play, but my own personal opinion about haunted key is that the method is far more transparent today than most magicians would care to admit.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4712 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
By switching out the key used for an unbalanced one and casually dropping it on the table, if any participant suspects they know the method, they will quickly cancel their suspicions once they try for themselves.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
dorian_faust
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, California
274 Posts

Profile of dorian_faust
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2024, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
By switching out the key used for an unbalanced one and casually dropping it on the table, if any participant suspects they know the method, they will quickly cancel their suspicions once they try for themselves.

The Resurrection Cemetery Gate Key by Prof BC comes with an identical looking key that does exactly this! If any of you are able to find yourselves a copy, I highly recommend it
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1064 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
The resurrection key is great for control too. The key is best in combination with other effects like Prof's other key effects with the haunted pubs. It adds extra layers.
Was rewatching Docc Hilford's haunted key on the new Alakazam streaming platform. Gave me that reminder of just turning the key around to put the handle in the palm so it can't turn.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3830 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
For me, the beauty of all magic is it really doesn't need an explanation. It's magic....
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie