The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: Help with Name of Book - Part Two (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
dmcknight
View Profile
New user
who finally has
64 Posts

Profile of dmcknight
In the mid to late 1970s I either owned or checked out of the local public library a magic book that I thought would have been Henry Hay's Amateur Magician's Handbook.
Near the back of the book was a fully realized parlor / stage act called, I believe, "And So To Bed". In this act which I believe was silent / to music, the magi comes home inebriated and all sorts of shenanigans occur to and around him, much to his amazement, as he makes his way to bed.
I believe this same book had a kids section / routine with a puppet named Ishkabibble that would find selected cards, etc. I distinctly remember the patter seemed to have an affected accent, substituting "Hallo" for "Hello".
Does this ring a bell with anyone? Was it an early edition of AMH or something else?

It's funny the things we remember.
"Success" is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.
dmcknight
View Profile
New user
who finally has
64 Posts

Profile of dmcknight
After much Google-Fu I'm pretty sure the book I'm thinking of is the Stein and Day Handbook of Magic by Marvin Kaye. I had that book at one time and just ordered a used copy from Amazon.
"Success" is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.
Thomas Henry
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1436 Posts

Profile of Thomas Henry
Hello dmcknight,

I just checked the Kaye book. The routine entitled "The Drunken Magician" starting on p. 223 of the edition I have matches your description for the first routine.

However a quick scan didn't turn up the puppet routine, but maybe I flipped pages too fast.

Here's the bibliographic details for the copy in my collection:

Marvin Kaye, The Handbook of Magic, (New York: Dorset Press, 1989).

I see that this is a republication of an earlier edition from Stein and Day, with a copyright of 1973.

Thomas Henry
Omne ignotum pro magnifico.

Curious who I am? See my quick video bio.
dmcknight
View Profile
New user
who finally has
64 Posts

Profile of dmcknight
Thanks Thomas! In this article / TOC https://geniimagazine.com/wiki/index.php......of_Magic there's mention of Melville the Dragon. It's possible that I used elements of this routine but with a sock puppet I named Ishkabibble, will know once my copy from Amazon comes in. I don't know where I would've heard the name Ishkabibble in 1977-78 otherwise.