The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Did you hear the latest? :: Larry Becker passing (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3222 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Not sure if it's true, but thought I'd share

https://www.facebook.com/groups/feed/
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
BCE
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of BCE
Men: Two words - prostate exam.

While Larry Becker leaves behind a staggering and influential body of work which will inspire generations of mentalists years from now, let's also remember that health awareness is also part of his legacy.

RIP. Smile
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
So sad to hear. What a great guy and a legend of mentalism and mental magic. RIP my friend.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5204 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I saw him live in sweden mid 90s. He did some wonderful things. I bought his big book . He is a true legend.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
...and he was a true gentleman 100% of the time.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Absolutely!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I worked with him at NYCAN many years ago. He even allowed me to film his entire act for my archives. His Russian Roulette with blank guns was tough to beat for a dramatic effect even when you knew the work.
I agree an absolute gentleman. My thought are with April and his family and friends.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Jack Skipton
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Jack Skipton
What a legacy, so many absolutely brilliant routines he contributed to the magic world. I can’t imagine there being too many mentalists that haven’t been influenced by his Sneak Thief alone. By all accounts he was a real gentleman too. Such a great loss. RIP.
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Special user
Bangkok Thailand
839 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
I am sad to hear the news that my friend Larry Becker has passed away. I had the pleasure of being involved in a number of wallet releases with him including his Becker Coin Purses, Blockbuster Wallet, Insight Wallet, Lightning Coin Purse, Some Total Deluxe and TMI Wallet. He also allowed me to select and make some other items from his published material which included Boxxed II and the Mighty Mini Chameleon chest. R.I.P. Larry
Over 100 previous Magic Wagon effects along with descriptions,
images & videos can now be viewed on my website.

Click Here
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3630 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2023, BCE wrote:

While Larry Becker leaves behind a staggering and influential body of work which will inspire generations of mentalists years from now, let's also remember that health awareness is also part of his legacy.

RIP. Smile

What are you talking about??? Larry Becker was 94 years old.
Christo
View Profile
Loyal user
Cyprus
231 Posts

Profile of Christo
94 was a good - read excellent - age. From BCE and rowdy's posts I think it's worth remembering that about 80% (or some high figure) of men over 75 die WITH prostate cancer, but in that same age bracket only about 15-20% (or less) die OF prostate cancer. Larry moved East from Arizona at a great age to be nearer to family and I'm sure he was aware of any health issues.
Its worth noting that here in Europe if you're diagnosed with mild/meaningful/aggressive prostate cancer over the age of (about) 75 all the medics are going to do is 'monitor' your condition. They're not going to change your life with a long course of treatment or invasive surgery, cos you're getting along just fine with the condition aside from some inconvenience, like getting up at night more than you'd like.

Here endeth the lesson. C

Smile
"Humpty was pushed!!"
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I am very sorry to hear this. I've never met him personally but have spoken to him several times on the phone and he taught me so much. I will miss him greatly. He was so open and willing to teach you his secrets a very rare wonderful man in magic and mentalism.

Good magic to all,

Eric
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2023, rowdymagi5 wrote:
Quote:

RIP. Smile

Scott Wells' podcast interview with Larry Becker is worth checking out, and it will also clear up any confusion about what BCE was referring to.

I was also sad to hear of his passing. Rest in Peace, Larry.

Best,
T.J.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2023, rowdymagi5 wrote:
Quote:

RIP. Smile

Earlier in his life Larry Becker learned he had Prostate Cancer, was treated, and obviously survived it. One of his messages from then on was health awareness to men because men often ignore their own health issues in this country. Especially older men.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.