The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: About me page (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
First of all Donald an I each specifically avoided the word “best” and said “right” for the job. No need to misquote in order to get your own point across. It is an INCREDIBLY important distinction here and you are trying to gloss over it. Please do not do such a thing.

NOBODY said that the about me section would answer the “who else is saying it?” Question but you. You would NEVER put this information in an “about, insert whatever verbiage you like here) page. It would be COMPLETELY out of place in most circumstances to have that information in an about section.

You are desperately trying to shoehorn your views here and it is not really productive. (What happened to nuff said?)

I get it. You are trying to back off and change your view without anyone noticing that you held the other viewpoint. No biggie. Just please quote accurately when doing so if it is not too much to ask.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny, it's clear that you don’t know what my view is here. NOWHERE have I said to WRITE ‘Best’ or ‘Right’ anywhere on the website.
I haven’t said anything that you’re referring to. So please stop twisting and taking my words out of context. PLEASE.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2023, TomBoleware wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:
Tell them you’re the best? Who ever said to do such a thing? I certainly never did.

I am the one who said it. And why wouldn’t you tell them you’re the best for the job? Really, you would refer them to somebody else? LOL

Anyways, its clear you just trying to disagree to start something. Nuff said.
Tom

Ummmmm

I can go by what I read. We 100% are talking about web pages here Tom. So clarify how you never said it.

Keep in mind you will look silly saying “I never said “WRITE” It. In context We are talking about the about section on the web page so that is what you were responding to. Anything else is off topic.

If you are NOT talking about that section written in the web page please start another thread. Do not continue to derail this one.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
There is no need to 'say' it because. You can ‘convince’ people that you are the best without coming out and saying it. You can ‘convince’ people that you are the best fit without coming out and saying it.

That's my view. Yours may be different, but that's ok

Tom
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2023, Mindpro wrote:
The key is for it to have purpose and to actually say something. I remember months ago looking at Fedora's site it it said nothing. Hopefully this is part of his effort to improve this. He is not alone as this can be common with many performers, especially newer or beginners.

Yes, thanks again for taking a look at it, I made a note of your points. Both the website and a couple of
other things are in the works, hopefully I can get it finished sooner rather than later.

Good question Donald, and thanks for the Carnegie quotes.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2023, TomBoleware wrote:
If you do those five things you are explaining why you are the best for the job.
And that's all you have to do to make the sale. It's not rocket science, it's just
giving people the product/service that they want.

I couldn't disagree more. This is very general, outdated basic info but just as the times, purchasing habits, customer preferences and intelligence, and so many other factors that come into play today have changed so should such questions. Especially not for entertainment businesses in today's world.

Try those five things and you will be missing business, losing out on business, and leaving money on the table.

However these 5 points can be a good basis for a new set of 5 questions and even a new set of 5 question based especially for entertainment businesses.

1. What is it you do?

2. What do you offer?

3. How are you different from other magicians/performers?

4. What knowledge and professional experience do you have?

5. Why are you the best choice or solution for my event?

All of this while being sure to present your value to the customer and their event.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2023, TomBoleware wrote:
There is no need to 'say' it because. You can ‘convince’ people that you are the best without coming out and saying it. You can ‘convince’ people that you are the best fit without coming out and saying it.

That's my view. Yours may be different, but that's ok

Tom

Just not going to stop?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2023, Mindpro wrote:

I couldn't disagree more. This is very general, outdated basic info but just as the times, purchasing habits, customer preferences and intelligence, and so many other factors that come into play today have changed so should such questions. Especially not for entertainment businesses in today's world.

Try those five things and you will be missing business, losing out on business, and leaving money on the table.

However these 5 points can be a good basis for a new set of 5 questions and even a new set of 5 question based especially for entertainment businesses.

I couldn't disagree more. Sorry, but I don’t buy pushing the all about me pitch regardless of what the product is. The Dale Carnegie list will never be outdated. Compare the two lists and see how the word YOU is only used once in the Carnegie list. Now see how the word YOU (which is the same word as ME) is used in every step of your list.

Even the About Me Page itself should never be all about me. Again, I think it is more about ‘them’ and what the product can do for ‘them’

Carnegie list:

1. What is it?

2. What will it do for me?

3. Is it what I want done?

4. Is it worth the money?

5. Who says so besides YOU?

Now Your List:

1. What is it YOU do?

2. What do YOU offer?

3. How are YOU different from other magicians/performers?

4. What knowledge and professional experience do YOU have?

5. Why are YOU the best choice or solution for my event?

See the difference. Or is there really a difference?

Call me old fashion but some things will never change when it comes to
convincing others about your product or service. I just think it's never about you.
Your product or service sure it is, but many others are out there doing the same
thing that you do. There are more entertainers than one, we are never the only choice.
Best to make it all about them.

Tom
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Let me add: And touch on why the entertainment business is not much different than any other business today or in the past.

The role of the working magician should be just like any other business in society and that is to provide solutions to problems faced by people. In fact, it is these problems that create the need for business in the first place. Without problems, there would be no demand for products or services, and hence, no need for businesses to exist.

For instance, if nobody ever got sick, there would be no need for selling vitamins or other health supplements. Or imagine a world where nobody ever got hungry. In such a scenario, restaurants would have no customers, and the entire food industry would collapse. Similarly, if nobody ever got tired, hotels would be empty, and the hospitality industry would cease to exist. It is the same with other industries as well. For example, if nobody ever wrinkled, there would be no need for moisturizer creams, and the cosmetic industry would suffer a major setback.

So it is clear that businesses exist to provide solutions to the problems faced by people. And as long as there are problems, there will always be a need for businesses to provide solutions. This is why businesses must focus on identifying the needs of their customers and providing innovative solutions that meet those needs effectively.

The purpose of business is not merely to have fun or even make profits, but to serve the needs of people by solving their problems. By doing so, businesses create value for their customers and contribute to the overall well-being of society.

Yes, a magic show can provide a solution but unless it is sold as that, it is just a hobby that someone may or may not enjoy watching.

Sorry for the rambling, just wanted to be clear on the point I was trying to make before it gets busy in here and without being interrupted.

Tom
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2023, TomBoleware wrote:
Let me add: And touch on why the entertainment business is not much different than any other business today or in the past.

More general surface-level babble from someone that knows little about entertainment business.

Most interested in entertainment services do not have a problem or view it as a problem in any way.

This is hilarious to watch as you are now responding to your own posts.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I would think that not having the right entertainment could be a problem.

I would think having guests being bored could be a problem

I would think most clients would like to think that their money is being well spent.

I would think that maybe pointing out possible problems to prospects would be a good thing

And I could go on with the babble, but I will stop.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think you missed the point entirely Tom. I don’t know if it is interest in arguing at all costs that does this it what but you are really not doing well here. You at some points here argue with your own points.

But in doing so you have derailed yet another thread. What is being spoken about here is the About page WRITTEN on the web page. Since you are talking about convincing them I you are the best and all the other things you have now dragged us into it is all off topic and it is clearly you who has done it.

Please start another thread to talk about these off topic points Tom. This is intended to be a discussion concerning the About page. Every other topic is detailing the thread and it is you doing so. I only ask you follow the rules and stay on topic.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny, sorry if I’m off-topic. I just thought it may be good for the OP to have more information to choose from for writing a page for his website. I don’t think he expected us to write it for him. But I would think he would appreciate having a variety of ideas and thoughts to think about. If I have completely derailed his topic then I do apologize to him.

Danny I have posted my thoughts, now what do you have to add that might be helpful to him?

Tom
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I think often giving one too many ideas can create confusion and lose insight and focus.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Danny, sorry if I’m off-topic. I just thought it may be good for the OP to have more information to choose from for writing a page for his website. I don’t think he expected us to write it for him. But I would think he would appreciate having a variety of ideas and thoughts to think about. If I have completely derailed his topic then I do apologize to him.

Danny I have posted my thoughts, now what do you have to add that might be helpful to him?

Tom

Start another thread with those thoughts please. Give him variety in another thread so it is not confusing. Please follow the rules. If he wants those thoughts he will respond there.

You have completely derailed this topic. The topic is a WRITTEN About page. Please stick to it as per the rules.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
To get back on topic, what do you believe the information in an "about"
section should be in relation to a home page or service page?

By this I mean should you be selling yourself here, or your services
in relation to the client?

For example, KC stated an about section should primarily be used to make oneself
seem more relatable to the client.

Perhaps the other sections of a website should tell the reader why they need what you're
offering, and the about section should tell them why you should be the one to
give it to them.

Sorry for my slow responses, been a little busy the last couple days.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
It works for KC, so why not model from something like that? I suggest that you visit several magic websites and see for yourself what an about page looks like. Model from those. Not Copy but Model one that will fit you the best. There are several successful magicians on here with great-looking sites. Those are the people you need to talk with, the ones with a website, and hopefully more will chime in here. Always ‘model’ from success and you can’t go wrong. Again it's to model not copy.

Wishing you the best with it,
Tom
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
I suggest that you visit several magic websites and see for yourself what an about page looks like. Model from those.

Lord no! That's just what you don't want to do.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
If you don't know how to do it, seek some help and assistance from someone who does and understands your exact needs (once you're sure you do)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
It works for KC, so why not model from something like that? I suggest that you visit several magic websites and see for yourself what an about page looks like. Model from those. Not Copy but Model one that will fit you the best. There are several successful magicians on here with great-looking sites. Those are the people you need to talk with, the ones with a website, and hopefully more will chime in here. Always ‘model’ from success and you can’t go wrong.
Tom

You mean from actual working professionals and not someone just bloviating on the internet? Good idea. I agree.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus