The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: About me page (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Howdy.

It has come up multiple times now that my website doesn't have an about
me page, I never bothered to write one because I have never bothered to
read other folks, and I had assumed they didn't matter.

I've been informed my numerus folks smarter than me that I'm mistaken.

I have read a great many about me pages through the years, some are
quite long, one fella on the cafe had me proofread his and it took
me very near 2 hours to correct everything it was so long.

Some others are hardly more than a paragraph, just a name, location and
some mumblings about awards of some sort.

So, for the knowledgeable folks here on the green space, how do you
write an effective "about me"? any content that must or must not
be included?

And how about short vs long? any insight is appreciated.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I regularly look at (and specifically for) the About page. I find that other people do as well. According to website(s) stats it is one of the top three pages visited from our site analytics.

While the most important first impression content should be found on your Home page, the About page is where you can tell your story (the story you want told and how), establish your predetermined positioning, professionalism, create your credibility, as well as your knowledge and experience, and a host of other specific information.

Many magician's blow this and think it is nothing more than a bio and listing of awards, their personal story (much different than their professional story or business story), and even worse including/featuring their family (more nonsense from today's many gurus.)

This is a very important part of the Foundational process which I discuss here often. When the Foundational process is done correctly, this is one of the things that will really actually write itself.

Length is less important than content. Use as much space as you need to provide the needed content. It can also be created with photos, video, or other pertinent info, not just text. Like your entire site it should be designed to present and sell yourself properly.

The About Us page is an opportunity. An opportunity that needs to be understood, carefully created, is targeted to the prospect and what they need or are seeking - not just about you personally. It's not about personal or social, it is about business, after all it is a business website (or should be).

I have found many that do not have one is because such details and information has not been determined and that the foundational aspects have not been done in their business.

My first suggestion is to stay away from the one thing most magicians ALWAYS tend to include which is "I started in magic when I was 7 years old and have been doing magic ever since." Or I've been doing magic for 20 years, yet they are only 24 years old, lol Crazy, stupid, and unprofessional. Stay away from awards that mean nothing to the general public or your target prospects. Avoid these types of things that create negatives or work against you. Know what is important to your targets and focus on that, not me-based thinking or content.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Who are you wanting to go to the web site?

Then worry about things like this.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Fedora,

Just a thought and something to keep in mind is, you don’t have to have an ‘About Me’ page. You can change it to read something else. In fact, some experts suggest that there are many reasons why you should never have a website page titled 'About Me' but rather rename it something else. For example, ‘Reviews, ‘FAQ’ ‘Contact Me’ ‘News’ etc.

So I'm not sure that you are mistaken for NOT having an about me page. Maybe ask a different expert.Smile

Tom
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Thanks for the tips, I've seen some of those with "I started practicing magic when I was 5". When you
see that you know it's going to be a long one.

Like you, I doubt anyone cares.

I have also seen some use sensationalism, ie "after 20 years of practice sense I was 5, I became the greatest in the country".
Although I enjoy reading it, I doubt anyone takes their word for it.

What do you think of establishing authority in the bio? Such as "joe blow has worked with some of the
most notable companies in the state, including (name drop) and (name drop).

Or "joe blow is considered an innovator in the industry, authoring the book (name drop).

That sort of language, perhaps to much for a bio?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Again all valid, but useless unless you know who the intended audience actually is.

Incidentally if you have directed a person to your web page and they are not interested in who you are I personally see this as a problem. A serious one in fact.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
The about page is one of the most important pages on a website. People like to buy from people they know. People also don't want to buy from someone who seems unrelatable.

A "sterile" "about page" is a business killer.

Put down whatever you want as long as it makes you interesting and appealing - someone they might want to know.

I am from Alaska. People like that. I have numerous animals - this appeals to some. My wife and I have a law practice which appeals to others. Our son is autistic and we get a lot of comments about that. Just having children is a big plus, especially if you do children's shows. I have worked in several interesting fields including Special Forces. This appeals to vets and those that are impressed by special ops. If you are religious, that is a plus to those that are religious and not a big distraction from those that are not religious as long as you don't seem overly pushy about it.

Years of real pro experience is important as long as it hasn't been as a kid.

Major clients can be important.

Awards that are a real big deal are important, but not as big a deal as one might think. Magic club awards are generally not.

Everyone likes someone who volunteers.
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Thanks Danny, I'll keep the target in mind.

KC, good to hear from you again. That's a useful list of topics, thank you for taking the time
to write it up.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Just to add a few thoughts. I once heard someone say that in advertising a product/service the ‘About Them’ better be ten times better than the “About Me’ or else it's a waste of time/money. It makes sense because in the end it really is all about about them.

I’m not saying it is wrong to have an ‘About Me’ page, but I wouldn’t think it's the most important part of a website. For example, you can prove you’re the Pastor at twelve Churches, and still, the most important thing to them will be, ‘What can the product/service do for me?’ Oh sure they want to know that they’re not dealing with some crazy person, but it's often best when you can humanize yourself through other people, as in satisfied customer comments, etc. As Mindpro alluded to earlier, it is very hard for many magicians to talk about themselves without overdoing it. That’s just a fact. Having others say it for you in some ways is the key.

One common trend that I have noticed is that when I come across a website with a page titled "About Me", it indicates that the person likely created the site themselves. There is nothing wrong with that, but when a professional designer or developer is hired to create a website, they typically opt for a more formal and business-like approach, such as including an "About Us" or "Our Team" page. That's completely different and a much better way of saying 'Look at me.'

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
They are hiring a performer. Why would they not want to know about THAT performer? Testimonials are too self indulgent. Who would put one up that said they sucked? Obviously nobody so they are kind of pointless if you think about it. Plus there is ZERO difference in you claiming things and showing video, obviously written for them, of others saying things.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny, yes they would want to know, but when you have to tell the world you are the best yourself, they seem to question it.
Somewhere somehow you have to prove it or at least have someone else vouch for you.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Tell them you’re the best? Who ever said to do such a thing? I certainly never did.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:
Tell them you’re the best? Who ever said to do such a thing? I certainly never did.

I am the one who said it. And why wouldn’t you tell them you’re the best for the job? Really, you would refer them to somebody else? LOL

Anyways, its clear you just trying to disagree to start something. Nuff said.
Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No Tom I’m not. Only you would see it that way.

Yes YOU said tell them you are the best and that is not what you should even have testimonials say!

There is a lot of room between claiming to be the best, and recommending someone else. A ridiculous choice to propose.

I’ll tell a story. Herb Brooks was coach for the 1980 US Olympic hockey team. He was heavily criticized for not picking the best players. His response was simply he didn’t want the best, he wanted the RIGHT players. I get that you don’t see the difference and that you have to claim I’m only trying to argue because that is your thing. But for everyone else this is a CRITICAL distinction. One that will probably be deleted if history is any indication.

So no. As always it was not nuff said. Really important stuff had to be said still, and still does. But I’m sure it never will.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Isn't marketing 101 that you market for your intended audience? As Danny said, how can you know what to write without knowing exactly who you are trying to target?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2023, landmark wrote:
Isn't marketing 101 that you market for your intended audience? As Danny said, how can you know what to write without knowing exactly who you are trying to target?

You’d think all this yea but…here we are.

I have this theory that once I’ve said something to an adult human being twice, they’ve heard he. They just disagree. So for my own peace of mind I stop.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I would only ever even consider an About Me page in two scenarios - for a consumer market website written in first person, or for a Christian or Gospel performer - that's it. And you have to be careful how and what you say as it can come off like you are tooting your own horn, bragging, boasting, or puffery.

As for business operations I would recommend About or About Us or perhaps History (which I only care for in certain situations.) I'd stay away from Bio as well.

The key is for it to have purpose and to actually say something. I remember months ago looking at Fedora's site it it said nothing. Hopefully this is part of his effort to improve this. He is not alone as this can be common with many performers, especially newer or beginners.

Copywriting in business is both an art and a science and the About page is no exception.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2023, TomBoleware wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:

I am the one who said it. And why wouldn’t you tell them you’re the best for the job? Really, you would refer them to somebody else? LOL

Tom

A slightly different viewpoint is to show (tell) the customer that you are the "right fit" for them (their event), as opposed to claiming that you're "the best magician out there."

That perspective ("right fit") should help with the copy writing.

What do you know about the prospect and some of their buying criteria?

- Donald

P.S. Years ago, I took some Dale Carnegie Sales Advantage Training. One of the things in their manual was this:

Quote:
Customers want to know 5 things about your service:

1. What is it?

2. What will it do for me?

3. Is it what I want done?

4. Is it worth the money?

5. Who says so besides you?
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2023, Mindpro wrote:
I would only ever even consider an About Me page in two scenarios - for a consumer market website written in first person, or for a Christian or Gospel performer - that's it. And you have to be careful how and what you say as it can come off like you are tooting your own horn, bragging, boasting, or puffery.

As for business operations I would recommend About or About Us or perhaps History (which I only care for in certain situations.) I'd stay away from Bio as well.

The key is for it to have purpose and to actually say something. I remember months ago looking at Fedora's site it it said nothing. Hopefully this is part of his effort to improve this. He is not alone as this can be common with many performers, especially newer or beginners.

Copywriting in business is both an art and a science and the About page is no exception.

I am not directly speaking about the title of the page. I like “About Us” simply because it seems as if it is a bigger organization. It also takes the heat off of narcissistic looking ego trips.

My only point was the want to know something about with whom they are doing business.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2023, Donald Dunphy wrote:

- Donald

P.S. Years ago, I took some Dale Carnegie Sales Advantage Training. One of the things in their manual was this:

Quote:
Customers want to know 5 things about your service:

1. What is it?

2. What will it do for me?

3. Is it what I want done?

4. Is it worth the money?

5. Who says so besides you?

I like that Donald. It's very old info but still worth remembering today.

If you do those five things you are explaining why you are the best for the job.
And that's all you have to do to make the sale. It's not rocket science, it's just
giving people the product/service that they want.

It's important to answer all 5 and the number 5 can't be answered with an about me section if
the about me section is only about me. They need to know it's not just YOU saying it.

Tom