The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Did you hear the latest? :: Derren Brown's Unbelievable - Review (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
mitchmagi
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of mitchmagi
TimeOut - 3 stars

"Seven actors try to pass themselves off as magicians in this uneven high-concept show ...Instead, the cast of seven plays instruments, does some magic and trots out vague patter about how we’re all actually magicians performing a trick by presenting to the world the person we want to be – polished outsides vs messy insides ... That’s the justification for the show’s biggest illusion, in that none of the seven-strong cast is actually a magician.

It’s an odd assortment. There are prop-heavy tricks that seem to come straight out of My First Magic Kit, there are bizarrely basic takes on old workhorses like the cup and ball trick, and there are Brown’s trademarks ...

It’s just that the illusion that these performers are magicians doesn’t always hold ... The rest don’t get much to do, though, and sometimes the cracks in the polish are too evident: nervousness in the execution, slight faltering when things go off-script.

Brown's familiar voice comes through strongly in the text, but what ‘Unbelievable’ really needs is a presence like his on stage; a ringmaster, someone with that overwhelming charisma to make us believe that what we’re seeing really is unbelievable.

You can count on Nyman ... and Brown’s longtime co-director and producer O’Connor to bring integrity and class to an evening of magic. But that’s what’s on the inside and, as the show keeps telling us, when it comes to magic, what matters is not the method, but the effect."
mitchmagi
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of mitchmagi
CityAM - 3 stars

"Good ideas, underpowered show. ... The problem is that Unbelievable never feels particularly special or surprising. Brown has a couple of good ideas that I’d love to see in a show with more teeth, bigger stunts and, most importantly, an appearance by the man himself."
mitchmagi
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of mitchmagi
Guardian - 3 stars

"I’m not sure the show is the bold leap forward for magic that its creators – Brown’s longtime collaborators Andrew O’Connor and Andy Nyman, and Colchester’s Mercury theatre – would have us believe.

He also has a relationship with his audience (whereas Unbelievable’s cast stay largely anonymous and undifferentiated) and a flair for upping the dramatic ante – whereas the emotional climax to tonight’s show doesn’t really fly.

If these aren’t the radical departure we’ve been promised, they’re still – for all that the cast learned them yesterday – pleasingly puzzling. Brown’s novel adventure in magic-by-proxy offers plenty to enjoy, then, even if it’s never quite as astounding as when he performs the tricks himself."
mitchmagi
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of mitchmagi
All in all - as predicted - the show is sadly a critical flop. Without Derren's name attached - reviews would have been even worse. Only a matter of time now until it closes and the chapter on this ill-conceived experiment to have a magic show without magicians comes to an end.
User101
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of User101
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2023, mitchmagi wrote:
All in all - as predicted - the show is sadly a critical flop. Without Derren's name attached - reviews would have been even worse. Only a matter of time now until it closes and the chapter on this ill-conceived experiment to have a magic show without magicians comes to an end.

I think it will see out it's West End run tbf but yes not great reviews, and STILL I struggle to think what Derren's reasoning was for this show.
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
410 Posts

Profile of MJE
[quote]On Sep 27, 2023, User101 wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2023, mitchmagi wrote:
STILL I struggle to think what Derren's reasoning was for this show.

I know that many would (and have) answered that question by saying "an easy payday." I very much doubt that. I've never even met Derren, but Andy seems to be everybody's friend. I have no intention of asking him. I know that Andy is a man of integrity, and it appears that Derren is made of the same stuff. Besides that, if you take a look at how expensive it is to mount even a small show, this makes no sense in England. Their tax laws aren't as forgiving of failures as here in the U.S..

I kinda doubt that things are going as planned. I can't imagine why, after rehearsals, the problems were not apparent. It seems reasonable to assume that the show should not have opened. It just doesn't make sense that either investors or Derren gave it the green light before a lot of bugs were worked out. Not having seen it, I don't know if I could truly understand the concept. From what I've read here and elsewhere, very few "get it."

I'm all for experimentation. I bet all of us who made, or continue to make, a living doing this job successfully know the value of experimentation. Experiments often result in failure. As long as you're okay with that, magic as entertainment will continue to thrive. It sounds like this one was a bust. Again, I have not seen the show, but with the limited knowledge of it, it would seem like the best move would be to close it and move on. Head back to the lab and start a new experiment after producing a show that you know will go over (even if it's a repeat of a past show).
mitchmagi
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of mitchmagi
And so it begins.

Tickets are now being discounted by upto 70% … prime stalls seats now going for 15 GBP …
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Anyone being critical ever have a creative idea that didn’t pan out quite right
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:

Anyone saying saying "not me" is a liar. Or not a creative person, anyway.

MJ
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2023, MJE wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:

Anyone saying saying "not me" is a liar. Or not a creative person, anyway.

MJ

Bingo.

Now imagine those you would think would be the most supportive doing nothing but bashing you. Ouch. Yet you never seem to see creative projects from them .

Maybe it is bad, maybe not. But he is out there doing it.

Heck I’m not a fan of David Blaine. But the number of network projects that have starred me is zero. Perspective means everything.

Plus you don’t always have all the control that many seem to think.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mitchmagi
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of mitchmagi
Promo material for the show has now been re-done ...

Derren's name and image have all been scrubbed - no longer "Derren Brown presents" ... face/hands all removed ...

Draw your own conclusions.
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of MJE
[quote]On Oct 18, 2023, mitchmagi wrote:
Derren's name and image have all been scrubbed - no longer "Derren Brown presents" ... face/hands all removed ...

Seems like a wise decision. There's no need to tarnish an otherwise excellent reputation. Just try to break even and call it a day. A learning experience. I bet his next project (with Derren as the show's star) will be a great success!
User101
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of User101
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2023, mitchmagi wrote:
Promo material for the show has now been re-done ...

Draw your own conclusions.

Any examples?
User101
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of User101
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2023, mitchmagi wrote:
And so it begins.

Tickets are now being discounted by upto 70% … prime stalls seats now going for 15 GBP …

I had a check and Im not seeing this,nothing cheaper than £73 with a clear view at least. I did notice lots of seats for sale though all way though rest of this month and next.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2023, User101 wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2023, mitchmagi wrote:
And so it begins.

I had a check and Im not seeing this,nothing cheaper than £73 with a clear view at least. I did notice lots of seats for sale though all way though rest of this month and next.

Are you going to let the truth get in the way of a good story?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of MJE
Well, I dunno WHO to believe. We aren't traveling to London this year, so I can't verify anything myself. But there is great wisdom in the last line of John Ford's "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance." "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.”
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What exact wisdom do you gain from that to apply to this situation?

Seems like a great way to justify one’s own opinion without much real research or experience.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mitchmagi
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of mitchmagi
As predicted - ticket sales have been suspended on the website from 7 Jan ... show looks set to shutter three months early.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2023, mitchmagi wrote:
As predicted - ticket sales have been suspended on the website from 7 Jan ... show looks set to shutter three months early.

What exactly is your personal problem with Derren?

It seems like you have a vendetta you’re working and take pleasure in his not going well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:
What exactly is your personal problem with Derren?

I highly doubt that it's personal. Some people simply enjoy seeing others fail. REALLY enjoy it!