The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: What Landmarks? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
your_Lordship
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of your_Lordship
Hello All,

I am working on an effect where the spectators names a landmark. I am based in South Wales UK so it is easy for me to rattle the most common landmarks in Europe and the UK of course but my question is really, if I were to ask you to name a famous landmark in the US you would name the....?

I am struggling to get the data really what gets named the most apart from the statue of Liberty.

Any thoughts?
Pocket Miracles is !!!LIVE!!!
Can you find the unicorn?
Check it out and sign up for your chance to win one of our giveaways
https://www.pocket-miracles.co.uk/
drmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of drmagic
Golden Gate Bridge
Hoover Dam
Mount Rushmore

If you're looking for more, just Google "US Landmarks" and you'll have all you need.
your_Lordship
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of your_Lordship
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2023, drmagic wrote:
Golden Gate Bridge
Hoover Dam
Mount Rushmore

If you're looking for more, just Google "US Landmarks" and you'll have all you need.

I understand of course that I can google it but those don't always relate to the real world I have found.
Thank you for your message
Pocket Miracles is !!!LIVE!!!
Can you find the unicorn?
Check it out and sign up for your chance to win one of our giveaways
https://www.pocket-miracles.co.uk/
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5935 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Your hurdles are two fold

1. The US is huge compared to Euro countries, so a single iconic item is hard to come by on a full country scale.

2. The outcome of #1 is that many will be quite regional. For instance, if you ask for Los Angeles you might get Disney Land or The Hollywood Sign, but neither is likely to be a favorite for the whole country. You could, however, use that in your presentation. “Something iconic which makes it obvious you are in the US, like the Hollywood Sign. But don’t choose that.”

The top two would be Statue of Liberty and Golden Gate Bridge. Then a steep drop off to The Space Needle, The Grand Canyon, Mt. Rushmore. None of which immediately trigger images of the US for a typical foreigner.

I’d say go with the top two and call it a day.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
What about the Largest Ball of Twine (Darwin, Minnesota), the Largest Rocking Chair (Casey, Illinois), Jolly Green Giant (Blue Earth, Minnesota), World’s Largest Chest of Drawers (High Point, North Carolina), etc.?

Actually, I agree with Tom's top two.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16551 Posts

Profile of tommy
I am English and a conspiracy theorist and what springs to my mind is the Texas School Book Depository and a couple of landmarks that no longer exist.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
A few landmarks in the USA:
Disneyland
Las Vegas
The grand canyon
Hollywood
NYC (the statue of liberty is one well known place in NYC, as are the empire state building, coney island...)
Williamsburg VA
Gettysburg VA
Washington DC
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16551 Posts

Profile of tommy
Not to mention Area 51 which holds secrets, mysteries and theories of extraterrestrial happenings.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy