The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: We double dare you! :: Patter / Plot For Vernon's Variant (Do As I Do) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
dmcknight
View Profile
New user
who finally has
64 Posts

Profile of dmcknight
Hey all, I'm working up a plot for Vernon's Variant, which is a do as I do where the spectator has a reversed card in their packet and the magi does not. What I have not figured out yet is a punchline, or ending.
Nods to David Williamson's version on I think World's Greatest Magic...clip is on YT...on using multiple spectators and the exasperation bit.

1. Give the specs 4 facedown cards, instruct them not to look at them
2. Say, "we're going to try an experiment. I want you to think of any card but don't say it out loud. Just think of it and commit it to memory"
3. Go through the steps of the trick - top card faceup to the bottom, top card to bottom, entire packet over, etc etc
4. As an aside, say "so at this point we have the four face down cards" and casually count them off...spec has one face up which the magi finds surprising, there must be a mistake etc - it's funnier the more people you have doing as you do and you're the only one with four facedown.
5. "I must have not explained it very well, let's try this again" (I think it's important to infer that I was unclear in explanation rather than belittle the spec - at least at this point) ...go through the moves, say "so NOW we have four facedown cards..." but the specs have one face up
6. Become a little more exasperated and repeat a third time as fast as possible which in itself is funny.
7. If not before, it should be obvious now that the "trick" is not a thought of card but that no one but the magi has face down cards.

From a plot perspective I think this is strong but I'm stuck on a kicker or final line. It could be something along the lines of "give me back my cards, y'all are horrible magicians" or "well this went so well I think we're ready to saw our wives in half"
What do you think? How would you finish this up?

thanks!
David
"Success" is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.