The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tenyo of Japan :: TENYO 2024 (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
TomTom59
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of TomTom59
Regardless of my thoughts on the quality of Tenyo today it does not stop me from buying the odd new release, I have ordered my self Mystery Showcase from this year’s selection as this to me looks like the best of the bunch and reminiscent of Tenyo of old, Also like most of us we all love are toys.

Tom.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
I like the looks of Mystery Showcase too! That is the only new release I actually care about right now but that wallet type prop may be interesting.
psychod
View Profile
Loyal user
I may not be a millionaire but at least I have
247 Posts

Profile of psychod
I've found that I need to get my hands on the items, practice them for a while, and then show them to people before I get an idea of whether or not they're really good or not. There have been times when I've been underwhelmed but I've had audiences love them. I think that as magicians, we sometimes look at something with a bit of a jaded eye and forget that most people don't have our 'magical' knowledge. I recently went to a show to support a few friends who were performing and I was again surprised at how thrilled the audience was with certain effects that I thought were just okay (I was sitting in the audience and could hear them talking to each other so I had a good feel for what they really thought). Getting on to Tenyo specifically, I though Mr. Danger was a pretty impressive effect that made me think back to some of their earlier effects.

Dave

PS-I've actually got my order in for all four effects plus the bonus one so I hope to be pleasantly surprised with how people like them.
Just adding my 3 cents worth because anybody can add their 2 cents worth...
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
You make good points. For the 2024 releases, my dislike of two of them is that they are made of paper but I do agree that they can be very good tricks.

Perhaps with Tenyo, many of us care a bunch about the props themselves.

So, let us say 4 good new tricks but only one or maybe two cool props.
badwords
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of badwords
I have a department store that carries Tenyo a couple blocks from me. I am gunna pick up that pass case one assuming they made it fit yen notes well. Using yen notes with props made outside Japan is usually a pain.
jla930
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of jla930
I just ordered Mystery Showcase 2024 and Shocking Pass Case 2024 from Penguin Magic. At this moment, their price for each is marked down a few dollars. I couldn’t decide which one to get, so of course, I ordered both. I’ll post reviews here after I receive them and play with them a bit. At this time, Penguin does not have a video demo for either one, like they typically do for their tricks. But videos are certainly available online for each one of these tricks. After watching those videos, they both looked good to me.
VolunteerMagic
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of VolunteerMagic
I'm looking to get Showcase. I want to get the Wallet, but I want to see what the reviews look like. Typically, the World's Greatest line do a pretty good job.
jla930
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of jla930
I mentioned in a previous post that I ordered Shocking Pass Case 2024. I should be getting it in a few days. One thing I’m worried about is if the demo promotional video has been edited to enhance the visual effect and entice purchasing. A couple years ago, I purchased a Himber-type wallet, and the demo video showed the magician show a playing card in the wallet, and with a minor movement of the hand, the card instantly changed to another. Same thing with one denomination of paper currency changing to another. It looked astonishing. The change was instantaneous. Upon receiving the wallet, it was obvious that the change could not possibly be as instantaneous as was shown in the video, and people left reviews claiming the video had to have been edited by taking out a few frames. I have never performed this change with this wallet, as the real performance would give away the gimmicked wallet for sure, and reveal the whole secret. The demo video for Shocking Pass Case 2024 looks just as instantaneous. I hope I don’t discover that Shocking Pass Case has the same flaw. I guess I’ll find out in a few days.
Bondi
View Profile
New user
Cornwall
52 Posts

Profile of Bondi
Always get the odd tenyo effect ,mister danger last year and like the look of shocking pass case and mystery showcase but there hasn’t been much discussion on these and wonder if they are worth purchasing, looking forward to your review jla930.
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1298 Posts

Profile of DJG
Jeremy Pei demos this in one of his videos. I'm watching his face and see no hints of removing frames:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxSfbdbQp98
jla930
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of jla930
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2023, DJG wrote:
Jeremy Pei demos this in one of his videos. I'm watching his face and see no hints of removing frames:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxSfbdbQp98

I watched the video and I agree with you. Although I believe it would require removing only a couple frames, I agree that it doesn’t appear to be the case. I hope we’re both right, and it appears we are. In that case, the visual is very impressive.
leipzisch
View Profile
Special user
953 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
Notice the incredibly loud music on the Showcase demo?

How much money are we willing to bet that the coin appearance is, shall we say, less than silent?
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1298 Posts

Profile of DJG
And again, Jeremy Pei has a video of it too, with a slight alternate handing.
badwords
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of badwords
The pass case is actually becoming a bit hard to find over here in Japan. Some magic shops still have it, but it seems to be selling out at the usual toy shops and department stores that have the other 2024 releases in stock. And it's being sold for 4000+ yen on online marketplaces. Gunna get it shipped out from a magic shop in Osaka.
jla930
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of jla930
I received both Mystery Showcase 2024 and Shocking Pass Case 2024. Here are my thoughts. Please keep in mind that I am far from a professional magician. At best, I am a casual hobbyist who likes to perform the occasional trick for people close-up and one-on-one.

MYSTERY SHOWCASE: The whole prop seems kind of small to me. Could be bigger and therefore use a larger coin (I’m using a U.S. quarter). The working of the gimmick is clever, but I’m not getting it to work every time. I don’t know that I’m doing anything wrong. Maybe more practice will make it better. We’ll see. It’s noisy during the performance when activating the gimmick. I don’t see any way of explaining the noise away to a spectator. When it works, it’s visually good. The parts are all plastic. The instructions are in Japanese, but there is a QR code that will allow getting English instructions from the Tenyo web site.

SHOCKING PASS CASE: Very clever gimmick, could be a little finicky and trigger when not intended, although Tenyo has included a safeguard to help keep this from happening. The change is instantaneous, although it seems to look just a tad better in the promo demo video than in live performance. However, I wouldn’t hesitate to perform it live. The instructions are in Japanese, but there is a QR code that will allow getting English instructions from the Tenyo web site. The instructions suggest flicking the case with your finger to make the change happen. However, I found that twisting my wrist back and forth very quickly also makes the change happen, and the slight movement of the case helps hide the moment of actual change, adding to the smoothness. It’s pretty noiseless, so that’s not an issue. There is one item that is critical to the operation of the gimmick that is used to set the gimmick before performance. This item can break when setting the gimmick, or even during performance before triggering the gimmick. But I would say the probability of that happening is low. If it’s going to break, it would most likely be when setting the gimmick before performance. Tenyo gives you lots of this breakable item, and I’m fairly sure they can be purchased at various places, Amazon for one. However, it’s important to get just the right item. Anything different would detract from the performance, or even prevent it from working. Overall, I won’t hesitate to performers this.
jla930
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of jla930
Just an additional comment to my earlier remarks.

SHOCKING PASS CASE: When I do the wrist flick to activate the gimmick and produce the change, it can be slightly noisy. If you do as the instructions recommend and flick the case with your finger, the flicking action itself produces a noise and therefore covers up any noise made by the gimmick. You can judge for yourself if the two different methods produce identical visual effects.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Thanks for your remarks.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
FunMagic!
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of FunMagic!
For Mystery Showcase, I can’t get the shape of the yellow box to be square and I find it hard to engage in the proper manner.
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1298 Posts

Profile of DJG
I have the same issue. A cloth to cover the box, Like Pei does, is a good work around. I wonder if hard cardboard inside might help? Guess I'll find out Smile
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
846 Posts

Profile of oombob
The flimsy yellow “cover” provided for Mystery Showcase is disappointing. I think the effect is very clever but is weakened by the poor quality of this one crucial element of the trick. Using a cloth cover like Jeremy Pei demonstrates may be a workaround. I may try building my own version of the yellow box cover because I think the actual effect is very cool.