The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tenyo of Japan :: TENYO 2024 (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
846 Posts

Profile of oombob
Came across this bit of info…

2024 Tenyo Magic
---------------------
1) illusion Coin - 2500 yen (before Tax)
Effect: If you put a 500 yen coin into the transparent stand, and cover it with a cloth, the 500 yen coin will disappear in an instant!
Place the empty stand on a palm-sized miniature table and secure it with a rubber-band to prevent it from falling off. Cover the set up with a cloth and cast a spell. When you remove the cloth, the 500 yen coin appears. Appears to be “Mistery Showcase”…

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/money-......se-2024/

2) Telepathy Book - 1800 yen (before Tax)
Effect: Give the animal picture book to the audience. Have the audience open any page and concentrate on the picture of the animals shown on the page without showing to anyone. The magician reads the audience's mind and guesses all the animals on the page.

3) Miracle Pass Case - 2400 yen (before Tax)
Effect: Put a blank sheet of paper in the pass case pocket. When you flip the case, blank paper turns into real bills in an instant. Commuter passes can be pulled out of empty pockets, bills can be turned into credit cards etc. Would appear to be shocking pass case.

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/close-......se-2024/

4) Magic Picture Card - 2400 yen (before Tax)
Effect: Have the audience say the name of a card from a deck completely by free choice. Take out a stack of white cards and show there is nothing printed on the back or front. If you place the rest of the cards on the table and move it, the famous Ukiyo-E print will appear vividly and the drawn image will correctly guess the name of the selected card.
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
846 Posts

Profile of oombob
Mistery Showcase is the one that stands out here as a classic bit of Tenyo.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
At this point, I do agree that the one you mention seems to be closest to good old fashioned Tenyo that us Tenyo lovers want. At least, apparatus wise. Of course, what we are seeing may be prototypes so the actual products may be somewhat different.

I am still focused on the 2023 line and we are close to the next releases. Time does fly huh?

It will be quite difficult to beat MISTER DANGER which IMO is surprisingly fantastic. Maybe one the best Tenyo releases ever!
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
846 Posts

Profile of oombob
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

I have been saying for years now that it is quite difficult for one to have accurate conclusions about which new releases are good and which are not. Opinions change (at least for me) for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it is because I grow to like the trick and it could be because I saw a really great demo of it.

So, patience with new Tenyo releases has become my approach to rating them.
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
846 Posts

Profile of oombob
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2023, Magical Moments wrote:
I have been saying for years now that it is quite difficult for one to have accurate conclusions about which new releases are good and which are not. Opinions change (at least for me) for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it is because I grow to like the trick and it could be because I saw a really great demo of it.

So, patience with new Tenyo releases has become my approach to rating them.

Totally agree! The “Mistery Showcase” appeals to me because it has the look of classic Tenyo. I look forward to the release of some demo videos… hopefully soon.
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
846 Posts

Profile of oombob
Tenyo 2024… anybody excited about the new stuff?
VolunteerMagic
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of VolunteerMagic
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2023, oombob wrote:
Tenyo 2024… anybody excited about the new stuff?

It seems like the 2024 line is a super experimental set similar to the 2019 line. We have our first wallet trick since Wild Wallet in 1991. We have out first coin trick since The Alchemist in 2015. Tenyo delves further into the mentalism inventory with its first book test. the only trick that's relatively normal is the picture deck, and that's honestly the only one I don't want.

I like the idea of all of them except the picture deck. The coin trick has an old Tenyo feel to it. The animal book test seems fun. And I'm really curious to see what they do with the Tenyo Flick Wallet--I think that one is part of the "World's Greatest" line, so I'm curious as to how they made a Flick Wallet for cheaper AND did their usual Tenyo improvement.

And seeing how SEOMagic will do their usual Tenyo bundle with the redemption trick this year (ESP Birds). 'Birds is pretty good; I'd say 'Birds is going to be within the Top 10 of redemption tricks for Tenyo enthusiasts that rank the redemption tricks.

I still think getting the bundle of tricks just to also get ESP Birds is worth it this year, it's just not an emphatic "BUY IT NOW!" like it was last year. I'm hoping SEOMAgic does the redemption trick promotion in the past--where they had multiple bundles where you can get the redemption trick and you could get all the tricks from that year or most of them. Last year, they only had the ONE bundle with Liar's Fruit--and you had to get all the tricks. Which was smart. But at the same time, I'm looking at their Tentyo section right now, and they STILL have bundles--big and small--where you can get Image Generator Mini. So I get if they had you buy ALL the tricks to get ESP Birds.

My only complaint about this year's line is the picture deck. It's not anything the trick does or doesn't do. It's because I'm STILL burned out from the back-half of the 2010's being chock full of card prediction tricks
O.G.
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of O.G.
For the third phase of ESP-Birds I have shown a video here. The translation of the third phase is a bit confusing but in the end quite logical. It is not a movie of a demonstration but an instruction for all who own ESP Birds or want to have a look at the cards. The case is from another +1, unfortunately the case that comes with it is very basic.
https://youtu.be/_vplu8SuElM?feature=shared
Enjoy
OG
Eric Gretencord
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
170 Posts

Profile of Eric Gretencord
Videos for 2024 Tenyo...

Mentalist's Animal Photo book - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_OEojd_Utw
Shocking Pass Case - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omSTKpXWE1k
Magical Picture Cards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsnNruItrYo
Mystery Showcase - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT38hhHWunc
He who wonders discovers that this in itself is wonder.
-M. C. Escher
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Thank you Eric.
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
I've been meaning to ask this for a very long time, but at my age, I keep forgetting ( Smile )
For those of you like me; a collector & VERY casual performer, for friends and family. Do you make up elaborate stories when you show friends your Tenyo stuff (ala Madison Hagler) or just make up silly mini stories or are you a 'no story' person who just uses; "watch closely now, nothing up my sleeves" when you show a trick?
Speaking of Maidison, he does come up with some great story lines, but the truth is he is a performer, an actor. I've tried his stories and I just sound like a dorky idiot (yeah yeah, no comments on that please Smile
For instance I love doing Crystal Cleaver; easy and mind bending. But every time I tell any story while doing it, it just sounds silly.
So, I'm curious, what do you guys do?
I haven't been around for a bit, so I hope all my Tenyo buddies (and even my non-Tenyo buddies to be) are well and safe.
Ed

PS- Just FYI, I'm gonna post this same note over at MW, cause I still have a bunch of em.
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
As a side note to my note above about 'patter' it's interesting that almost all the vide
o demos on the web are silent or with music only!
TomTom59
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of TomTom59
I can remember many years ago when I use to get excited when Tenyo released a new product, the quality and ingenuity of most but not all was of a much higher standard than we see today, you only have to look at how collectible some of the earlier Tenyo have become, I doubt very much that Tenyo tricks being released today will have the same collectibility in the years to come. I understand that Tenyo is basically toys for magicians but I for one would be very happy to pay a bit money for a higher quality product.

Tom.
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
100% agree TomTom59. Back a few years ago this Tenyo section use to be one of the most vibrant sections of the whole Cafe. Everyone was talking Tenyo. You could check for new posts almost hourly. Hell, even the Pros admired the incredible ingenuity. Their products were sought out worldwide. I, myself collected almost their entire line. Bygone days my friend.
TomTom59
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of TomTom59
Yes Bygone days indeed and sadly will likely never see again.

Tom.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

I respectfully disagree. Popularity of various brands of Magic vary from year to year and decade to decade. Examples would be P&L, Adams, Magic Wagon, and Tenyo.

There will always be those new to magic (and collecting) who will seek out these brands and catch up so to speak.

So, you appear to be jumping to an inaccurate conclusion. You may be correct at this time but that will change as it always does.

Great magic and props will always be just that so will be sought after in various segments of time.

By the way, Magic has been my hobby for more than 60 years now so my thoughts are based on my empirical experiences.
TomTom59
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of TomTom59
I respect your opinion and I also have been a hobbyist magician for just over 50 years, and yes Magic and magic producers like Tenyo also change over the years, but my main point and it is only my opinion is that the quality of todays product is not on par with earlier Tenyo, this does not mean that Tenyo is less popular to day than it was in the past and will always sell well, and yes of course I can not predict what will or not be collectible in the future again it is only my opinion.

Tom.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Some of their new releases such as 4-D Cross, Mister Danger, and some others will remain collectible in the future and increase in value when discontinued and more difficult to acquire.

Further, their target audience is actually non magicians in Japan, not magicians. Tenyo is sold in kiosks in Japanese department stores. Yes, magicians too in Japan and all over the world of course.

What Tenyo has done in recent years is to gear their releases to the desire of their target audience in Japan and make them affordable to their customers.

By the way, the prices are less expensive in Japan than they are elsewhere. Very affordable! Yen conversion and various costs of shipping and so on to other countries raise the prices.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2023, edshern wrote:
I've been meaning to ask this for a very long time, but at my age, I keep forgetting ( Smile )
For those of you like me; a collector & VERY casual performer, for friends and family. Do you make up elaborate stories when you show friends your Tenyo stuff (ala Madison Hagler) or just make up silly mini stories or are you a 'no story' person who just uses; "watch closely now, nothing up my sleeves" when you show a trick?
Speaking of Maidison, he does come up with some great story lines, but the truth is he is a performer, an actor. I've tried his stories and I just sound like a dorky idiot (yeah yeah, no comments on that please Smile
For instance I love doing Crystal Cleaver; easy and mind bending. But every time I tell any story while doing it, it just sounds silly.
So, I'm curious, what do you guys do?
I haven't been around for a bit, so I hope all my Tenyo buddies (and even my non-Tenyo buddies to be) are well and safe.
Ed

PS- Just FYI, I'm gonna post this same note over at MW, cause I still have a bunch of em.

I usually make up silly stories.