The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The tricks are on me! :: Programs at Memory Units (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
As I have got older programs at Alzheimer and other memory issues are among my favorite venues.
Live music has always been part of my magic schtick.
It's been about 15 years since I started doing them.
At almost 70 I am closer to their age than doing kid shows. Does anyone else work these?
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
om_darji
View Profile
New user
South Orange County, CA
24 Posts

Profile of om_darji
I do volunteer close-up magic at my local senior home on a monthly basis. I also work their memory care unit. It's funny, I'm 17. It's lovely seeing people recognize you when you're back time and time again.
Candidly,

Om Darji (he/she/xe)
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks for posting, Harris, and for your reply, om-darji. I've considered this sort of thing too, and I'm wondering what it's like to perform for people who have memory problems. For instance, if you perform a pick-a-card trick, will they remember the card? (I sometimes forget myself!) Is there any particular kind of magic that's best for such people.

I'm particularly interested because I restablished contact with an old friend and discovered that she has memory issues. I don't know if magic interests her, but her difficulties made me think about the idea of performing in such venues.

I'm sixty-eight. I suspect that age isn't an issue, but approaching people with kindness is important.

Thanks,

Bob
om_darji
View Profile
New user
South Orange County, CA
24 Posts

Profile of om_darji
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2023, Bob G wrote:
For instance, if you perform a pick-a-card trick, will they remember the card? (I sometimes forget myself!) Is there any particular kind of magic that's best for such people.

Don't worry about remembering the card. Have them show it to you, and proceed with the effect. They will usually recognize that it is the same, like in an Ambitious Card effect. But rope, coins, sponges, and anything dynamic like that works great.
Candidly,

Om Darji (he/she/xe)
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Om.

Bob
FunMagic!
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of FunMagic!
I was just asked to do some magic in memory unit where a friend works.

I’m thinking colorful things like color changing silks and magic coloring book.

I think sponge bunnies would be good too. Stuff that happens in their hands.

I’m guessing it will be more fun for the employees.