The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic names and the media :: What's all the hype with Michael Weber?! (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
KyleLeon
View Profile
New user
Ottawa, ON
25 Posts

Profile of KyleLeon
I have been recently looking into some of Michael Weber's old lecture notes and online lectures in search of this so called, "genius" in our industry and I am a bit confused as I have yet to really see anything that is truly mind-blowing to the point I can agree with the common notion that "Michael Weber is a genius".

What am I missing? Does anyone else feel he has been put on a pedestal and we are all just preaching some false narrative that's being passed around with ignorance?
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I've had the chance to see him lecture and perform a few times. I've been blown away each time.

If you haven't seen him, and you're only relying on his notes, I can see why you'd be underwhelmed. But in person, dude is incredible.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
KyleLeon
View Profile
New user
Ottawa, ON
25 Posts

Profile of KyleLeon
I would like to clarify that I have nothing but respect for Weber. I do think he is a great mentalist and magician and certainly a great thinker. I’m not trying to disrespect him, I just don’t think, based on what I’ve seen, that he deserves the title of “genius”.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I think that is a fair question. He only seems popular on the convention circuit and not in the typical magic or mentalism channels and resources. So due to this I can understand why you and perhaps many have the same sentiments. He also doesn't participate here much if any, so again I can see how this could lead to your question and perception.

In my experience it depends who you talk to. Also your own expectations. Some feel he is overrated, and others speak nothing but praise. I've always been on the fence and never understood all the hype. I remember seeing him at Mindvention several years ago where he was pushing an effect with film canisters. Everyone raved about it, however I couldn't feel or see it. It was just a magic trick to me. I failed to see it as mentalism or any type of great mentalism. Yet, others raved and he had lines 3-4 people deep at his booth. Crazy.

He speaks and thinks very intelligently and knowledgeably. I have always felt he is sitting on his best material and contributions that he only shares with his own little click - Doc, Stetson, Cassidy, and others. Yet I don't feel he is interested in serving the masses, so I can respect that as well.

I can completely understand your thoughts.
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
540 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2023, Mindpro wrote:
Crazy.

Definitely. I could come up with 23 reasons Weber is a genius but I think TEN will suffice.

You have to C him in person to Know why he has this reputation.
qkeli
View Profile
Special user
paris,france
793 Posts

Profile of qkeli
From my perspective He’s a living legend.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
As you can see by the posts above you usually just hear these blanket statements with no specifics from his followers. Very nondescript offering little or no details. Why post "I could come up with 23 reasons Weber is a genius but I think TEN will suffice" and then not post any at all?

So he's "a living legend" - why? In what ways? Everyone has these bold claims yet speak so vaguely. How does this help the OP and his interest/questions? Offer some insight please.
KyleLeon
View Profile
New user
Ottawa, ON
25 Posts

Profile of KyleLeon
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2023, Mindpro wrote:
As you can see by the posts above you usually just hear these blanket statements with no specifics from his followers. Very nondescript offering little or no details. Why post "I could come up with 23 reasons Weber is a genius but I think TEN will suffice" and then not post any at all?

So he's "a living legend" - why? In what ways? Everyone has these bold claims yet speak so vaguely. How does this help the OP and his interest/questions? Offer some insight please.

This is exactly my point. People worship Weber for no apparent reason because it has become this common understanding within the community that he’s a genius. Where’s the proof. Tangible proof, not opinion. There’s a huge difference between calling a magician/mentalist a genius versus them fooling you badly at a convention. There are definitely really smart and clever magicians out there and he may be one of them. In fact I don’t doubt that. But there are 10,000 clever magicians in the world and it’s not THAT unique of a characteristic. And also, what is considered “genius” within the context of magic and mentalism? Usually genius refers to one’s IQ level, not their ability to construct a routine so diabolical that it fools a room full of magicians. Maybe we should start calling Weber a clever mentalist rather than genius, because from what I’ve seen with his published work, I could easily name 50 other mentalists and magicians whose material is far superior. By calling Weber a genius, we undermine so many greats in our industry.
qkeli
View Profile
Special user
paris,france
793 Posts

Profile of qkeli
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2023, KyleLeon wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2023, Mindpro wrote:

This is exactly my point. People worship Weber for no apparent reason because it has become this common understanding within the community that he’s a genius. Where’s the proof. Tangible proof, not opinion. There’s a huge difference between calling a magician/mentalist a genius versus them fooling you badly at a convention. There are definitely really smart and clever magicians out there and he may be one of them. In fact I don’t doubt that. But there are 10,000 clever magicians in the world and it’s not THAT unique of a characteristic. And also, what is considered “genius” within the context of magic and mentalism? Usually genius refers to one’s IQ level, not their ability to construct a routine so diabolical that it fools a room full of magicians. Maybe we should start calling Weber a clever mentalist rather than genius, because from what I’ve seen with his published work, I could easily name 50 other mentalists and magicians whose material is far superior. By calling Weber a genius, we undermine so many greats in our industry.

I accept your opinion but I don’t know 50 other living mentalists being in the game for more than 40 years… if you have a chance to witness him Live one day, you may change your mind or not…. However can I ask you who would you consider as the greats Mentalists in our industry please ?
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3630 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I think most of his effects that sell on eBay are way overpriced. Most, not all. Some of his effects are pure genius. I think he is a great thinker and I go out of my way to purchase some of the effects he puts on the market.

I have seen 10 page lecture notes that were not that great sell on eBay for hundreds of dollars. To each there own. So many are searching for that one golden nugget of an effect that just blows people away, and he does deliver on that occasionally.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
How come some people actually like the things that I don't like!?!?
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2023, gaddy wrote:
How come some people actually like the things that I don't like!?!?

Yea this.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jeffrey Cowan
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
132 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Cowan
Michael Weber is not only extremely clever but also has excellent chops and is a terrific performer. I've watched him perform in the Close-Up room at the Magic Castle. He killed. An audience of laymen and magicians alike loved him.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1881 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
A good start would be to just few of Webers interviews from YouTube. Those will give you an idea how intelligent he is. When you spend time with Weber it is very clear that you are spending time with extremely well read and smart person but he doest make a big deal about it himself. He doesn't come out arrogant or anything like that. Also high end corporations use him as a speaker to help them find ways to think outside the box.

Technically he is very good, has "chops" but most importantly knows when to use them. When Christian Engblom came up with anti-faro in late 90's, early 2000 Weber was one of the people who was able to nail it almost immediately. Also I personally have asked about him on certain rather difficult card moves and he was able to nail them with ease. So he can do some difficult sleights while making them look effortless but he chooses mostly to hide his skill. didn't ask reasoning for this but one of his main teachers was Charlie Miller so that tells me enough.

He often does very original material or has very original way to present magic. This doesn't come off from his notes that often has only the technical description of the trick but often with Weber it is as much about the presentation. He makes magic meaningful! Also with Weber, his presentarions are often topological. They don't feel out of place and sometimes kt is hard to say when the effect started. Also his methods can be really sneaky fooling also magicians. When you spend time with him he will fool you. Not in a way "I am not sure what you did" but in a way "WTF just happened". What you usually don't realize that what fooled you was planned 5 hours earlier and requires some extensive set up or it could be just reimagining of something you read from childrens magic book but dosguised in a way that you don't regognize.

Along with his own material, it is worth noting that he has been the consultant and brains in many other magicians acts. Derek Delgaudios show had Weber as main magic consultant for example. The ship in the bottle, if I understood it right for example, is Webers I believe. Also stuff like the locket in Illusionist movie is by Weber as is Gary Sinise wheelchair in Forrest Gump.

If you want to see Weber in action and you cant meet him face to face, his International Magic lecture from 1990's is available in DVD format and it probably is the best presentation of him available on video. Basically the whole lecture is about impossible objects that spectators get to keep afterwards. Apparently there I also a lecture of his where he duplicated most collector workshops $$$$ effects with 3$ methods.

Juha-Matti
wljarvis
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of wljarvis
How can I contact him? Bill Jarvis
wljarvis
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of wljarvis
Looking for vanishing classmates
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Having known Michael for over 40 years, I have been greatly impressed with:
1. His ability with a deck of cards. He doesn't display it often, but he's EXTREMELY good.
2. He's clever and well read. He can spot the seeds of great ideas in older items and develop excellent tricks with them.
3. He's adept at fooling magicians, and of course lay folks, because he understands the psychology of magic very well.
4. His style of presenting magic is quite disarming. You're hogtied before you know it.
He thinks that his ideas are worth the money he charges for them, which is designed to keep away the idly curious. His methods are not splashed all over the internet because the people who buy them know what they're getting, and are equally invested in keeping them away from folks who don't really care, but just want to know one more secret.
Mark Timon
View Profile
Special user
596 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2024, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Having known Michael for over 40 years, I have been greatly impressed with:
1. His ability with a deck of cards. He doesn't display it often, but he's EXTREMELY good.
2. He's clever and well read. He can spot the seeds of great ideas in older items and develop excellent tricks with them.
3. He's adept at fooling magicians, and of course lay folks, because he understands the psychology of magic very well.
4. His style of presenting magic is quite disarming. You're hogtied before you know it.
He thinks that his ideas are worth the money he charges for them, which is designed to keep away the idly curious. His methods are not splashed all over the internet because the people who buy them know what they're getting, and are equally invested in keeping them away from folks who don't really care, but just want to know one more secret.

5. Michael Weber posting as "newguy" on the Magic Cafe pretending to be a fan of his own work and using his hidden identity here under false pretenses.
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Special user
UK
728 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
I miss newguy-gate. That was Peak Cafe. If Weber was any kind of genius (clue: he's not, he's just a bloke who knows enough to convince people he is) he'd be leaning into it