The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The side walk shuffle :: How are y'all accepting Venmo/PayPal? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Right now I've got my Venmo and PayPal account QR codes printed on a piece of paper that I can show people after my show while I'm hatting them.

But I had a thought to magically produce a silk with those codes on it as well as a kicker after my finale... Maybe via dye tube or something like that?

I'm having trouble thinking of how to print this onto a silk in an INEXPENSIVE manner, however...

The codes are too complex to stencil, and I don't know how to screen print.

Anyone else have any clever takes on how to work with these, rather lucrative, payment methods on the street?
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
I recall those old hand-held money printers. Insert a blank piece of paper and crank out a business card with the QR Code
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Wow! That's an excellent idea, Ken!

Now I'm kicking myself for having sold that old brass money crank at a swap meet recently. The plastic ones they sell now-a-days really suck...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Now that cash has almost disappeared (here in the UK anyway), I'm wondering how people are managing to hat. Feels like a stretch to ask people to get out their debit card, and in any case, by the time you've processed one or two payments, the crowd will have dispersed
Jolyon Jenkins
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
They just need to take a screenshot of the Venmo QR code. It's quite convenient.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Thanks. We don't have Venmo in the UK though we do have Paypal. Do they need a paypal account to make a payment with the QR code or can they do it direct from their phone?
Re getting the code onto silk - I would use an inkjet printer and then heat transfer paper
Jolyon Jenkins
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Ken's idea is brilliant (as usual) now to find my old money printer. I know I didn't get rid of it.

A number of Buskers I know use signage. They have a poster (foam board) attached to the front and sides of their table with their photo and names AND the QR code for digital payment. Put the QR code on your hat (card in hat band).

Call attention to the QR code during the act and as part of the final hat lines. There is no reason to be subtle.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
I use a simple 8.5" x 11" laminated sign. It comes out while I'm doing the hat lines.
It usually gets a laugh, because it's unexpected.
The customer must have an account with a positive balance before they use any of the payment methods.
You will quickly find out which payment methods are popular in your area.
You will also find that many people will take a pic, but never send money.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I used the Venmo sign during my act on Thursday night at a local street fair.

I produced it right after my first final load reveal during my cops and balls routine and made a casual mention of it right before going into the final sequence.

I ended up making more money with Venmo then I did cash that night...

Turns out, very few people will just tip you a single dollar using Venmo! I was getting an average of $5.

Buskers, if you're not using these new technologies, you are really losing out on a large revenue stream.

Now again, back to my original question: how to print these QR codes on a 24-in silk???

PS- Thanks for the suggestion, jolyonjenkins
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
My Venmo information is on the sign that hangs on my case as well as on business cards that are available for people to take.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Gaddy, Two options that I have used in the past to have a silk with a custom logo:professional silk screeners can print the 24 inch silk with your QR code and you can order a DTF (Diredt To Film) heat transfer custom made for you to do your self (a regular household iron will do the job).
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
What if there's a wrinkle (or wrinkles) in the silk? Will the QR code still work?
How will you hold it in the wind?
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
389 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Dave at Propdog magic prints custom made silks. Top bloke and quality
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love & be loved in return.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2023, RiffRaff wrote:
What if there's a wrinkle (or wrinkles) in the silk? Will the QR code still work?
How will you hold it in the wind?

Yeah, that IS a consideration. More important than the code being on a silk, is the magical production OF the code.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Drop down flag/sign on the front of your table. A surprise more than a magic effect. I've used a sudden drop down sign on my table for an extra punch ending to a Multiplying Bottles routine (Nick Lewin does the same).
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
389 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2023, Harry Murphy wrote:
Drop down flag/sign on the front of your table. A surprise more than a magic effect. I've used a sudden drop down sign on my table for an extra punch ending to a Multiplying Bottles routine (Nick Lewin does the same).

Great thinking. Any tips on construction?
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love & be loved in return.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I remember pre-COVID, I was working the pizza parlor when a guy IN the parlor held up his credit card and looked at me. I had to shake my head, as I had no way to read a credit card!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax