The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: Who killed Chung Ling Soo? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
RicoGood
View Profile
Regular user
The devil told me
159 Posts

Profile of RicoGood
Song: The Secret, Cayetano
https://youtu.be/V5Hb4Pk1BrU
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16552 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
I guess the person who fired the rifle in the bullet catch fatality.

WulfieSmith
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2023, tommy wrote:
Https://www.theguardian.com/music/2006/j......ndopera1

Opera

The title of the opera is ironic, as Chung Ling Soo wasn't "The Original Chinese Conjurer." Even if he'd BEEN Chinese, he still would have been a guy who did someone else's act! (Ching Ling Foo, the article got HIS name wrong!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2024, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:

Opera

The title of the opera is ironic, as Chung Ling Soo wasn't "The Original Chinese Conjurer." Even if he'd BEEN Chinese, he still would have been a guy who did someone else's act! (Ching Ling Foo, the article got HIS name wrong!

https://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php......ing-foo/
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2024, Wravyn wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2024, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:

Opera

https://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php......ing-foo/

Very nice article. Thank you. I think they missed one thing about Foo, his dedication. Having discovered a way to produce a huge bowl of water, he discovered he couldn't walk normally when set up. As a result, he walked incorrectly whenever he was onstage or in the public.

Also they mention that Robinson (Soo) abandonded his wife (and child) and had a mistress while in London who he CLAIMED was his wife, what they don't mention is that he was cheating on HER as well! (William Robinson is definately a case of "don't meet your heroes!")
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16552 Posts

Profile of tommy
I am confused. Is it the article or you that has got HIS name wrong? It seems to me, it is you that is confusing one with the other.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
The article gets Foo's name wrong, claiming he's CHUNG Ling Foo, when in fact he's CHING Ling Foo.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16552 Posts

Profile of tommy
I see so CHING Ling Foo was Chee Ling Qua.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I'm talking about his stage name. They say "Chung," it should be "Ching."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2024, ed rhodes wrote:
I'm talking about his stage name. They say "Chung," it should be "Ching."

And, yes.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16552 Posts

Profile of tommy
There is perhaps something ironic about the West stealing intellectual property from the East.

Tommy