The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The side walk shuffle :: Busking Table (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
What are the options these days for a good busking table? I like the design of the School for Scoundrels table. Any suppliers out there?

Thanks!!!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Are you referring to a tray-jack style table? You buy those at restaurant supply stores.

Keyboard stands are also of the same style and are usually adjustable and made of lightweight metal.

As for the tabletop, I suggest you make your own out of plywood with some decorative moulding, glued & screwed, around the edges.

Use a close-up mat or other soft surface like a carpet square insert, with a very short pile (the sort you see in industrial areas) You can buy small samples of this carpeting for next to nothing.

Make the insert as inexpensive as possible (while still being useful & not looking cheap) so it can be changed out periodically as the sun inevitably degrades it.

Gazzo talks about his table on his street cups DVD, as does Kozmo & Cellini on theirs.

I know that there are some people manufacturing "busking tables" out there (and charging several hundreds of dollars for them!), but tables are such an individual thing, and your needs are never going to be 100% met by someone else's cable design.

It really is best to make your own.

I hope this is the kind of info that you are looking for!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Thanks Gaddy! I don't have the time and the tools to build my own table. Do you have links to the builders?
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Off hand, the only one I can think of is Rolando Medina.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1349 Posts

Profile of imgic
Look for a laptop stand like this one on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Laptop-Projec......4&sr=8-6

Then Harbor Freight has an aluminum case that fits perfectly on it. Then if you want you can take off the tray and drill a few holes into case and attach it to the stand.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Medina is pretty good but right now he's sold out. Down the road he might work. I'll check out that laptop stand! Thanks!
markmagic
View Profile
New user
KY
52 Posts

Profile of markmagic
Kristian Charles makes a great one
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3082 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
The laptop stand listed is really quite good. Pats Mats will make a closeup pad to fit any size table.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2023, markmagic wrote:
Kristian Charles makes a great one

Oh they're nice!
nnylfmit
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of nnylfmit
Tim Flynn has some Great Busking tables in stock.
That's me! You can look me up on facebook if you like where I have multiple pictures.
I went to a Gazzo two day seminar back in 05. I made my tables after his design.
I have sold about a hundred world wide.
They are 21X36 outside dimensions.
I have a couple that are about 21X27.
I do not make nor sell a stand. I recommend a keyboard stand.
Hit em straight and long!
JohnChaos13
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of JohnChaos13
Jimmy Talksalot just put out a video that talks about the type of rig that he uses for show. Hopefully this will be able to help you out.

https://youtu.be/xHGytFmp8ls
markmagic
View Profile
New user
KY
52 Posts

Profile of markmagic
Leo, Kristian Charles is a busker and makes a great table. He’s on Facebook
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1349 Posts

Profile of imgic
My kit is an old metal suitcase I found on Craigslist ($10) on a tray jack/stand ($5). Case measures 26" x 14" x 8"

I took some scrap hardboard to make a show sign and felt mat. The sign is hand painted with acrylics. For the mat, I got felt sheets ($3) from WalMart and glued two layers of felt. Both pad and sign and fit inside the lid of the suitcase or attached to outside of case.

Originally I used magnets for sign and pad, but they didn't always hold and with the mat on top of case, it caused issues when I did chop cup. So I now us velcro. Better hold.

Recently picked up a folding dolly to make it easier to transport everything if I have to go any distance ($20 at Harbor Freight)

Photos of the whole kit are at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/198489442@......08976807
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3096 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Jun 11, 2023, imgic wrote:

Then Harbor Freight has an aluminum case that fits perfectly on it. Then if you want you can take off the tray and drill a few holes into case and attach it to the stand.

Smile

I have this stand available for sale. Never used.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jun 11, 2023, imgic wrote:

My wife bought me that!

https://imgur.com/YXUYjvI

It's awesome. I'd been using folding tables from Walmart, which were too low. This I like, a lot!
Smile
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Zack
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Zack
I just bought the Pyle laptop stand. It's a great table. Problem is, the tabletop doesn't disconnect from the bar. You can fold it down, but you can't tear it apart at stick it into a bag. How do you carry the thing to the pitch?