The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Where to put it all... :: How do you carry your everyday tricks? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
I have always just kept a packet trick or something that packs very small in my pocket, wallet, or glove box. I have so many little things I'd love to have with me 24/7, but that's just not feasible.

For those of you who like to always have a little something ready to go even when you're not gigging, where do you keep it?
Packet tricks, small gimmicks, etc.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Race, I just carry what fits comfortably in my pockets.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
750 Posts

Profile of karnak
Pockets for me, too. Perhaps the trick there is simply to ensure that you have a lot of pockets.

That may mean deliberately wearing a shirt that has pockets, as opposed to a shirt with no pockets.

It could mean wearing a jacket or a vest of some sort that has a LOT of pockets (photographers often wear such utility fashions, to hold all their gear; look into those).

Beyond that, I guess you’d be looking at fanny packs, shaving kit bags, shoulder bags, gym bags, briefcases, and other such luggage.

(Or maybe even a “utility belt”?)
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Veteran user
Pensacola, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
In the fall and winter, I wear a blazer. I try to keep my everyday tricks in the blazer pockets, freeing up pants pockets for necessities (keys, wallet, phone, etc). Summertime, I just suck it up and use pants pockets and carry less stuff.

I also like everyday tricks that seem "organic" - basically, things that normal people carry. That new Hide-A-Key is a great example. It goes on my keychain which is already going to be in my pocket, so it doesn't really take up extra space. Brent Braun's FPS Wallet is another great example. It's been my regular wallet since 2020. I bought a spare, but I'm still on my original wallet. It's pretty rugged. I also have a routine with my wedding band, which takes no pockets.

Last summer, I tried carrying a man purse for a while but eventually it just ended up staying in my car trunk.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7576 Posts

Profile of RNK
That's funny Jason, I to always see a new little convenient carrying bag and purchase it. Use it a few times then always just go back to the old pockets.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Thanks for all your input, fellas!
While reading your replies, it hit me. I used to have a shoulder bag that I'd keep my gear in when out of town. Like a man-purse, if you will. It worked great. I may just have to start rockin that bad boy everywhere I go.

I have a briefcase that was specially made for those "greatest salesmen in the world" sales kits they made in the 70s. It looks like it was made for a magician/mentalist. It's just too heavy for daily use.

But thanks again guys. I'm relearning everything after a long break, so this has been helpful.
Tukaram
View Profile
Loyal user
Iloilo, Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
I carry a purse, whether I have tricks with me or not. I hate having things in my pockets and used a purse since the 1980s. Almost none of shirts have pockets, and I do not own a jacket. My board shorts have pockets, but I rarely use them. My purse has plenty of room. ???? 
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2023, Tukaram wrote:
I carry a purse, whether I have tricks with me or not. I hate having things in my pockets and used a purse since the 1980s. Almost none of shirts have pockets, and I do not own a jacket. My board shorts have pockets, but I rarely use them. My purse has plenty of room. ???? 

Are you at all concerned with the looks of the purse? Are you able to find them in designs that work with men's fashion?
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1781 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
While I do not own one, some of the FB groups I am on have folks speaking very highly of The Maverick as an EDC case: https://the1914.com/collections/accessor......maverick
Dave_Powers
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Dave_Powers
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2023, Race Blakhart wrote:
I have always just kept a packet trick or something that packs very small in my pocket, wallet, or glove box. I have so many little things I'd love to have with me 24/7, but that's just not feasible.

For those of you who like to always have a little something ready to go even when you're not gigging, where do you keep it?

Sometimes, I carry an "every day carry" backpack. It's got power banks, I'll pop in a tablet or laptop, and some of the smaller pockets house close up stuff. Hidden pockets, perhaps emergency stuff. I tend to go for bags with a lot of small pockets. But I've also done a lot of the boxes.

When not lugging around the backpack or various suitcases/boxes, my business cards are my main go to. I have several cards - ones for different effects. I have thick ones for tiny drawing duplications. I also carry small coin envelopes. I usually carry these in some fancy business card holders; I have found a few cigarette cases that have old "B Movie" posters. I am a big movie fan. It fits my character. At the time, I carry three or four types of cards in one case... but I used to carry different ones with different covers - so that if I put one in the wrong pocket, I could tell what piece I would be looking at just by the cover.

Mostly the card holders or cigarette cases go in a front pocket. Usually I carry the coin envelopes and business cards in there as well. I can do about four or five things just with the business cards.

I also love coin bends, so right now, I carry my new favorite bend in a small coin pouch that has a belt strap. It's black on black, so rarely gets noticed, I think... and I can keep legit change as well. So with a few quarters, a few half dollars, and my business cards, I COULD probably do a good twenty to thirty minutes (which I don't do in a casual setting).

Also: A side note (literally). If something is gaffed (or particularly devious), I tend to put it towards my left side (with the logic that historically, the left has been considered the "evil" or "sinister" side (I'm a lefty myself). If it's a normal item, or a more used item, I usually carry it to my right, so I can naturally and quickly grab from my left into the right pocket.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2024, Dave_Powers wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2023, Race Blakhart wrote:

Sometimes, I carry an "every day carry" backpack. It's got power banks, I'll pop in a tablet or laptop, and some of the smaller pockets house close up stuff. Hidden pockets, perhaps emergency stuff. I tend to go for bags with a lot of small pockets. But I've also done a lot of the boxes.

When not lugging around the backpack or various suitcases/boxes, my business cards are my main go to. I have several cards - ones for different effects. I have thick ones for tiny drawing duplications. I also carry small coin envelopes. I usually carry these in some fancy business card holders; I have found a few cigarette cases that have old "B Movie" posters. I am a big movie fan. It fits my character. At the time, I carry three or four types of cards in one case... but I used to carry different ones with different covers - so that if I put one in the wrong pocket, I could tell what piece I would be looking at just by the cover.

Mostly the card holders or cigarette cases go in a front pocket. Usually I carry the coin envelopes and business cards in there as well. I can do about four or five things just with the business cards.

I also love coin bends, so right now, I carry my new favorite bend in a small coin pouch that has a belt strap. It's black on black, so rarely gets noticed, I think... and I can keep legit change as well. So with a few quarters, a few half dollars, and my business cards, I COULD probably do a good twenty to thirty minutes (which I don't do in a casual setting).

Also: A side note (literally). If something is gaffed (or particularly devious), I tend to put it towards my left side (with the logic that historically, the left has been considered the "evil" or "sinister" side (I'm a lefty myself). If it's a normal item, or a more used item, I usually carry it to my right, so I can naturally and quickly grab from my left into the right pocket.

I didn't expect to get any more replies to this one, but what a great reply it is! Lots of good info, and I'm a lefty as well, so I like that thinking.
jonathantdupree
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of jonathantdupree
I use a high caliber holster. The company went out of business yers ago, but I got mine a long time ago.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I keep packet tricks in an origami wallet or a vinyl badge holder, which is in a jacket pocket or shirt pocket.