The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Now that’s funny! :: Gagbuster - Aldo Colombini (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Fila
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Fila
Hey hello everyone !

I was wondering if anyone have play with the 6 cards repeat of Colombini ?
( you show 6 jumbo cards to the public … throw away 3 normal size cards ! And you still have 6 jumbo cards … you repeat it another time … )

I like the idea … the gag but I think the idea need a real punch at the end … a real 6 cards repeat with the jumbo ? Or make something appear like a shooter ?!

Thx
Fila
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Fila
Https://youtube.com/shorts/ZVeYheNrZYg?feature=share

Sorry it’s in French but Here is a little performance of the idea !
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The inherent problem with this is by throwing normal size cards you both confuse them and tell them you are hiding things in the big cards. Plus it just isn't that funny.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
jsbosco
View Profile
New user
Detroit, MI
64 Posts

Profile of jsbosco
I think the gag is pretty funny. The idea of doing a real 6 card repeat along with this idea makes the most sense, though maybe to open the effect? Then the gag is, I have extra cards, see? And start throwing away the normal sized cards.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3875 Posts

Profile of Julie
Maybe toss in a deck (or more) of Mini Cards into the mix for a suprise (and FUNNY) finish?

...or maybe a small Card Castle, (or a LARGE Card Castle) too? (MAGIC surprise)

...or a giant Moving Pip card? (Callback to a chosen card you were unable to find earlier.)
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I think a funnier way to do this would be to count 6 jumbo cards... throw away a single normal sized card.... and now show you only 5 jumbo cards remain. I think this would be better done with the faces towards the audience and you'd really need to show both sides of the cards, even if only briefly, to eliminate the ides of simply having the other cards hidden behind the jumbos.

You could then repeat this a couple more times with the jumbo cards getting less and less in number and then one of a few ways.... you could throw away a jumbo card and have the full compliment of 6 normal cards..... or you could throw away a jumbo card and have a full compliment of 6 cards all small.

But in all honesty it still runs the risk of being confusing mainly because you have two effects going on at the same time. Your scripting would have to be really on point in order for the effect to be fully understood by the audience.

It feels like it might be possibly a good routine for an MC at a magic convention though.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
I made up a set of these a few years ago. It is a funny gag, but I think it's one that works better for magicians than for a regular audience. My two cents.
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/