The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic Stage Left :: Righty with Lefty Leanings? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
C'mon Lefties!...You have the advantage of following a magic tutorial video like "looking into a mirror"!...It's only when they show "over the shoulder" or "Performer's perspective"...and you rarely get those.
Personally, I am "semi-ambidextrous" with my magic sleights. I am right handed for writing, but being a string musician, the more intricate finger-work sleights fall to my LEFT hand. And my Classic Palm is better on Left Hand. Weird!
I don't know if my other righty guitarists feel the same?...hmmm, maybe another Forum? LOL. ANYhoo... I've always wondered if a Lefty has an easier time on the "spectator view" tutorials. 'Cause it makes a Righty pretty crazy trying to reverse that view for us!
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
hpcman
View Profile
New user
NYC
68 Posts

Profile of hpcman
It’s actually a bit of an epidemic today, righties have learned magic lefty by mistake! This is due to the video only learning caused by the internet. Before young magicians have a chance to read their first book, if ever, they have already ingrained habits as lefties. Many I have spoken to have regrets and want to switch back. This process is difficult and requires them to teach their other hand while looking only at their hand in a mirror to retrain their brain. Obviously there are many benefits to being a lefty in magic and I wish best of luck to everyone to follow their needs.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2023, Stephon Johnson wrote:
C'mon Lefties!...You have the advantage of following a magic tutorial video like "looking into a mirror"!...It's only when they show "over the shoulder" or "Performer's perspective"...and you rarely get those.
Personally, I am "semi-ambidextrous" with my magic sleights. I am right handed for writing, but being a string musician, the more intricate finger-work sleights fall to my LEFT hand. And my Classic Palm is better on Left Hand. Weird!
I don't know if my other righty guitarists feel the same?...hmmm, maybe another Forum? LOL. ANYhoo... I've always wondered if a Lefty has an easier time on the "spectator view" tutorials. 'Cause it makes a Righty pretty crazy trying to reverse that view for us!

Been playing guitar for about 30 years now. I'm left handed, but have always played righty guitar. The thing is, I've always felt what we call "right handed" guitar is actually "left handed".
I feel much more comfortable using my dominant hand to play chords and such, while my right hand has the easier job of strumming. I've tried lefty guitars multiple times, and my right hand just refuses to play chords. But I play drums lefty, write lefty, eat lefty, etc. I find it odd.
Jbond207
View Profile
New user
Mount Vernon, IN
59 Posts

Profile of Jbond207
I use left hand to: write, eat, play tennis, thumb pinch a coin, hold coin in left for French drop
I use right hand to: bat, play guitar, throw a ball, palm a card.
Weird
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2023, Jbond207 wrote:
I use left hand to: write, eat, play tennis, thumb pinch a coin, hold coin in left for French drop
I use right hand to: bat, play guitar, throw a ball, palm a card.
Weird

Pretty much the same here. My moms side of the family tend to be left-handed. Over the years, we have had many discussions on the subject of left-handedness, and most of us agree that the only reason we do so many random things right handed is because it's simply a right handed world, and we are adapting.
MartinL
View Profile
New user
Germany
15 Posts

Profile of MartinL
I am right-handed, but left-handed when I do magic (with coins). When I learned the first sleights, I did it with my left hand because I was doing other things with my right hand at the same time.
So I could do the classic palm with my left hand first and instead of relearning, I stayed with my left hand and learned everything that followed with my left hand first.