The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic Stage Left :: What a great idea! (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Being a lefty, I can relate to this category. Left handed folks can have some issues, difficulties, and/or challenges mastering certain magic props.

As some of you know, I am a Tenyo junkie. The one trick I do not perform is INVISIBLE ZONE. It is designed for righties. I even attempted to change the prop around for a lefty but to no avail.

It is a great trick and I would love to perform it but somehow, being a lefty makes the prop a bit challenging at least for this lefty. Yes, I can perform it but find it somewhat awkward so prefer not to do so.
SteveFromSpokane
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of SteveFromSpokane
Major kudos to Steve Brooks for coming up with this special forum.
I have a left handed teen grandson and try to teach him magic which sometimes is difficult for a rightie.
Fortunately he can use both hands better than me.
I loved his intro story about growing up with 8 track tapes and being lucky enough to have a 72 Charger. Those were the days.
Jbond207
View Profile
New user
Mount Vernon, IN
59 Posts

Profile of Jbond207
I liked the story about scissors. As a kid, I did not know that scissors were DESIGNED to be held in the right hand. I just never thought about it. My teacher would try to get me to hold them in my right hand but I just couldn’t do it. She never explained that the scissors are made to work only in the right hand. I thought it was like a pencil. You could use either hand. Instead, I thought that the reason I couldn’t cut paper was because I had no artistic talent. I stayed away from art classes because, well, I couldn’t even cut paper! No one ever explained HOW the scissors worked. It wasn’t until maybe high school that I one day closely examined a pair of scissors and realized how they work and how the design of the handle is meant to bring the blades together when held in the right hand. When held in the left hand, you actually push the blades apart. All of those years of trying to cut paper with my left hand I was actually making it harder. I was my own obstacle. At that moment I realized that sometimes we fail because we truly don’t understand how things work. It was an eye opening moment. I suddenly realized that we can’t let our failures define us. Sometimes, our failures are just opportunities to learn more…to learn WHY.
Haruspex
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Haruspex
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2023, Magical Moments wrote:
The one trick I do not perform is INVISIBLE ZONE. It is designed for righties.

Interesting you chose this effect, since it does not require any slight or moves you would otherwise use in magic.
I have invisible zone and never thought about it being a designed for right handed people.

Same thing with the scissors, I have been using right handed scissors. When learning something we need to figure out how something works (at least to a certain degree) in order to efficiently use it.
while the right handed kids where learning that he scissors work best when they slightly push out with the thumb and pull in with the fingers, I learned the opposite, pull in with the thumb and push out with the fingers.
When years later I tried left handed scissors, while the fitted more comfortably on the thumb, I had difficulty of using them because all the sudden I had to reverse the orientation of the pressure.