The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Memorized deck effects without technical sleights (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JuanPoop
View Profile
Loyal user
Luckily for you, I only have
219 Posts

Profile of JuanPoop
Firstly, I didn’t realise, at the time of the above post, that Darwin Ortiz has passed away 2 weeks earlier. This was very sad news indeed. I considered him one of the very best.

Secondly, his passing has inspired me to dive even deeper into his vast catalogue to find more gold.

RIP
aka Lucky John
Sydney, Australia
Golem13
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Golem13
Does anyone perform Juan Esteban's 'The Point of View Card Trick' (from Semi-automatic Card Tricks Vol 8 by Steve Beam)? The concept is really cool, but remembering the multiple 'outs' is a major effort! I really like the idea, but I wonder if anyone is performing it and how it hits, considering the effort involved?!
JuanPoop
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of JuanPoop
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2023, Kjellstrom wrote:
Another great effect: Card Sense by Darwin Ortiz. Effect: You divine three cards under increasingly impossible conditions. Three spectators each cut off a pile of cards. The first spectator looks at the card cut to and you divine it. Then, even before the second spectator looks at the card he cut to, you divine it. Finally, you divine any card in the third spectators pile that he designates.
You can learn this strong effect from the great book: Lessons in Card Mastery by Darwin Ortiz at page 233.

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/card-m......mastery/

Thanks Kjellstrom. Following on from your above post, I did some work on Card Sense (which reminds me of a couple of other similar mem-deck tricks). The only part I don't really like doing is the one-handed move used by Darwin to get the info required (deliberately vague to avoid method).

Have you tried anything else that works well in this part of the trick?
aka Lucky John
Sydney, Australia
rmorrell
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of rmorrell
In keeping with the title of the thread, I will tell you the way I normally do Card Sense, is with a m***** deck this way it eliminates all the moves, you don't even need to do the first demonstration as Darwin teaches it, you can just legitimately pick up your pile as a demonstration, and you don't need to do the one handed moves, it just eliminates everything although I would suggest a mix/shuffle at the start if you can, or just keep the spectator cut in. Normally when I have a deck in stack anyway it is pretty much always a m***** deck, I use the Penguin ones as they are cheap to use.
Rich Morrell
---
The Magician Blog
JuanPoop
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of JuanPoop
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2023, rmorrell wrote:
In keeping with the title of the thread, I will tell you the way I normally do Card Sense, is with a m***** deck this way it eliminates all the moves, you don't even need to do the first demonstration as Darwin teaches it, you can just legitimately pick up your pile as a demonstration, and you don't need to do the one handed moves, it just eliminates everything although I would suggest a mix/shuffle at the start if you can, or just keep the spectator cut in. Normally when I have a deck in stack anyway it is pretty much always a m***** deck, I use the Penguin ones as they are cheap to use.

Thanks Rich, I appreciate your response.

I actually have a few such decks and use them in several other effects, so I'm not sure why I wouldn't use them in this one. I guess I was just looking for a different peek method, but your suggestion would work very well, without any moves at all. I will think of some patter that suits the actions and might still make a small 'move' (of sorts) to obfuscate the method. Don't want it to be too perfect, after all!

I use DMC Elites and can spot their markings from across a small table, so this trick doesn't have to be done super close up. Like you, I almost always start with these types of decks in stack (Mnemonica), which I false shuffle and cut while introducing the trick.

I need to put my thinking cap on to consider other mem-deck effects where this deck type could substitute a 'move' that I don't like doing (which usually means I haven't practiced it enough!).

Thanks again.
aka Lucky John
Sydney, Australia
J-L Sparrow
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of J-L Sparrow
The book "The Six Hour Memorized Deck" by Martin Joyal contains several memorized deck tricks, none of them containing any sleights.

That book has two main functions: (1) Teaching you the Joyal stack, and (2) teaching you tricks that you can perform with any memorized deck.

There is nothing inherent in those tricks that require you to use a Joyal stack, so any memorized deck will do.