The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Memorized deck effects without technical sleights (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sanderr
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
201 Posts

Profile of Sanderr
A few weeks ago I started learning the Mnemonica stack. Although I have improved a lot, I do not yet have instant recall. To practice the stack more, I thought it would help to practice in the context of some (relatively simple) effects. The issue is that I'm also not proficient with many sleights (currently working on some false shuffles and a DL, and I can do some controls and a glimpse). There are a couple of books that seem interesting, but it's hard to tell how difficult the effects are in terms of sleights. I already have the Mnemonica book and I will do the divination routine to start practicing.

Which other books would you recommend that have some effects that are maybe mostly self-working when you know the stack? Books like In Order to Amaze (Pit Hartling), The Buena Vista Shuffle Club (Matt Baker) and Bound to Please (Simon Aronson) look interesting, would they be suitable?
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5204 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Zen Master by Darwin Ortiz is a great one...
FlorianHeller
View Profile
Regular user
Bonn, Germany
200 Posts

Profile of FlorianHeller
If you want an effect that's mostly self working and makes you think on your feet with your stack, try an Invisible deck set up in Mnemonica Smile On top of making you not forget your stack, I do find it makes the effect better or at least easiest on you as you know exactly where the upside down card is, you don't have to look for it while spreading the deck.

I do a torn ID version with 2 decks, so I can have even cards in ascending order on one, and odd cards also in ascending order in the other. For a normal one deck ID, you'd have odd cards in ascending order, and even cards in descending order, but that shouldn't be a problem, more opportunity to practice your stack!

As for other effects, if you use marked decks, you can do effects that rely on you glimpsing the back of the card before or after the one selected to make you work your stack as well.
Eeeeeeeet hop disparu !

www.florian-heller.com
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1228 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Actually most of the best tricks I do are sleightless (if you exclude the false shuffle and/or false cut thrown here and there).

Mats's suggestion of "Zen Master" is a superb one. Just requires a peak during the first selection
Another good one from Darwin Ortiz I do very often is Push Your Luck.

The books you cite (The Buena Vista Shuffle Club and In Order to Amaze) contain great material, stack independent, and many items are sleightless or almost. So I can certainly advise you to get those books.
In particular "Card College" (the routine from Matt Baker's book, not the book by Giobbi) is a fooler!

To be honest, the most difficult thing in these tricks is the spectator's management ... making sure they do the right things during the routines ...

Mark
Sanderr
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
201 Posts

Profile of Sanderr
Zen Master sounds great, but it seems the book it was in is out of print and the only way to get it is through an expensive 10-DVD collection. I do have a download by Darwin Ortiz where he teaches Push Your Luck. That one is great, but I cannot yet do the required move.

Is there one particular book (of the three I mentioned, or any other I missed) you would recommend me to get first?
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1228 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2023, Sanderr wrote:
Zen Master sounds great, but it seems the book it was in is out of print and the only way to get it is through an expensive 10-DVD collection. I do have a download by Darwin Ortiz where he teaches Push Your Luck. That one is great, but I cannot yet do the required move.

Is there one particular book (of the three I mentioned, or any other I missed) you would recommend me to get first?

First of all, let me apologise... Ortiz's trick is Test your Luck. My memory failed, which of course, is funny since we're discussing memorised stuff ... Smile

I would reccommend Pit Hartling's book, then. There are many many tricks, from the self-working ones to the technically demanding. And there is a good variety in effects, as well.

Mark
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
330 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
I believe Simon Aronson recommended his Two Beginnings from his book Try The Impossible for beginners. It was my very first routine I performed when I first learned a memorized deck and I still perform it often to this day. It always impresses audiences!
Sanderr
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
201 Posts

Profile of Sanderr
Does anyone know Forecast by Craig Petty? This project seems quite interesting too, although it seems like most of the tricks on there require multiple and prepared decks. Any thoughts? Would I be better off just getting Pit Hartling's book?
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Simon Aronson's material does not use knuckle-busting sleights.
One of my favourite effects by Simon is The Invisible Card. (Even easier if you use a marked deck).
mrehula
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of mrehula
I would underscore the material from Try the Impossible. The Invisible Card and Two Beginnings are the best, but there is plenty of other outstanding material in the book.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Alan Ackerman has a great effect called An Ungaffed Ted. This is an alternative method for an effect called Double Thought by Al Koran.
The effect is amazing. You and the spectator choose a card each which you then try to mentally transmit to each other. The spectator removes a card from the deck which they think is your card. You remove a card which you think is theirs. Both are correct! It seems impossible that you can know their card - and even more impossible that they correctly find yours.
The Koran method uses a well-known gimmick that I won't mention here.
Ackerman's method uses a normal deck, but stacked.
Others have come up with other methods - (eg Tap-a-Lack by Paul Cummings & Diplopia by Paul Vigil, which are both impromptu) but Ackerman's approach makes one aspect soooo much easier.
Personally I think he makes the handling a bit more complicated than it really needs to be; but that's because I can't handle cards like he can.
Also I have a super-easy version with a completely different handling (but still using a stack).
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3630 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
It would be nice if someone could put a list of good self working memorized deck tricks together.,
Golem13
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Golem13
I wouldn't say these are all 'self-working' as there can be some maths involved, but these are some of my favourites which don't require slights:

Mnemonicosis (of course!) - Juan Tamariz,
Invisible Card (Aronson's 'Try The Impossible'),
Fingertip Reading (Nick Pudar - hard to find but excellent effect with a marked stack),
Center Cut Location, Four Stop Intersection (Aronson's 'Bound To Please'),
Card College (Matt Baker as already mentioned, along with Casablanca),
Or Not (Dani DaOrtiz),
Under Test Conditions (Richard Osterlind's 'Dynamic Mysteries'),
Twain (Patrick Redford's 'Temporarily Out Of Order'),
Stephen Tucker's CAAN (Peter Duffie's 'England Up Close'),
Supervision (Asi Wind's 'Repertoire')
JuanPoop
View Profile
Loyal user
Luckily for you, I only have
219 Posts

Profile of JuanPoop
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2023, Golem13 wrote:
I wouldn't say these are all 'self-working' as there can be some maths involved, but these are some of my favourites which don't require slights:

Fingertip Reading (Nick Pudar - hard to find but excellent effect with a marked stack),
Or Not (Dani DaOrtiz),

Hey Golem, thanks for posting that list. I use a few of these, such as Invisible Card (with my ID variation), Baker’s Card College and loads of Aronson stuff, but a few others are new to me.

A couple of comments about these particular effects:
- Fingertip Reading. For those with the requisite number of posts, Nick kindly described this effect in Secret Sessions (many years ago!). Look it up under “ Memorized and Marked -- Free Trick”
- Or Not (Dani DaOrtiz). I have heard this is a great trick, but I am having trouble finding it. Any clues about where to look?
- Under Test Conditions (Richard Osterlind). I have Jan Forster’s trick by the same name, I wonder if they are similar?

Thanks again!
aka Lucky John
Sydney, Australia
gillesA4
View Profile
Special user
Brussels, Belgium
593 Posts

Profile of gillesA4
"Or not" by Dani DaOrtiz
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8164
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. (A. Einstein)
Golem13
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Golem13
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2023, JuanPoop wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2023, Golem13 wrote:

Or Not (Dani DaOrtiz),

Hey Golem, thanks for posting that list. I use a few of these, such as Invisible Card (with my ID variation), Baker’s Card College and loads of Aronson stuff, but a few others are new to me.

A couple of comments about these particular effects:
- Fingertip Reading. For those with the requisite number of posts, Nick kindly described this effect in Secret Sessions (many years ago!). Look it up under “ Memorized and Marked -- Free Trick”
- Or Not (Dani DaOrtiz). I have heard this is a great trick, but I am having trouble finding it. Any clues about where to look?
- Under Test Conditions (Richard Osterlind). I have Jan Forster’s trick by the same name, I wonder if they are similar?

Thanks again!

Hi Juan, the Penguin link listed above is the place for 'Or Not'. While you can figure out most of Dani's method from the performance, his tutorial gives some valuable performance tips, which really help sell this!

Not familiar with Jan Forster's 'Under Test Conditions' but from the performance clip, it seems more similar with another excellent effect I forgot to mention: Steve Ehler's 'Three Card Location' (listed in Allan Ackerman's 'Las Vegas Kardma'). Richard's 'Under Test Conditions' is a simple, quick mentalism trick, and it's easy to reset the stack after. It works well to include in a stacked deck routine e.g. I may start with that or 'Or Not' and go on to ones that destroy the stack like 'Three Card Location' or 'Fingertip Reading' - both which are really strong effects.

Another favourite is a routine that combines the first part of Asi Wind's 'Transportation in Three Phases' (from 'Chapter One') with Mnemonicosis. I use two decks in stack, do the first part with one spectator (select bunch of cards, shuffle behind back), and before I reveal all the cards plus their chosen one, I do Mnemonicosis with the second spectator and second stack to basically select the same card. I find it best to get the second spectator (if the required card is in the face up cut), to turn the cards face down and do a bottom deal. I then reveal spectator one's card after naming all their others, then for a kicker, get the second spectator to turn over their card for a perfect match!
JuanPoop
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of JuanPoop
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2023, gillesA4 wrote:
"Or not" by Dani DaOrtiz

Thank you kind sir!
aka Lucky John
Sydney, Australia
JuanPoop
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of JuanPoop
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2023, Golem13 wrote:
Hi Juan, the Penguin link listed above is the place for 'Or Not'. While you can figure out most of Dani's method from the performance, his tutorial gives some valuable performance tips, which really help sell this!

Not familiar with Jan Forster's 'Under Test Conditions' but from the performance clip, it seems more similar with another excellent effect I forgot to mention: Steve Ehler's 'Three Card Location' (listed in Allan Ackerman's 'Las Vegas Kardma'). Richard's 'Under Test Conditions' is a simple, quick mentalism trick, and it's easy to reset the stack after. It works well to include in a stacked deck routine e.g. I may start with that or 'Or Not' and go on to ones that destroy the stack like 'Three Card Location' or 'Fingertip Reading' - both which are really strong effects.

Another favourite is a routine that combines the first part of Asi Wind's 'Transportation in Three Phases' (from 'Chapter One') with Mnemonicosis. I use two decks in stack, do the first part with one spectator (select bunch of cards, shuffle behind back), and before I reveal all the cards plus their chosen one, I do Mnemonicosis with the second spectator and second stack to basically select the same card. I find it best to get the second spectator (if the required card is in the face up cut), to turn the cards face down and do a bottom deal. I then reveal spectator one's card after naming all their others, then for a kicker, get the second spectator to turn over their card for a perfect match!

Nice work!

I love watching Dani do his thing. I will pick this up for sure.

He is a true master of the seemingly chaotic presentation, even though he has everything completely under control.
aka Lucky John
Sydney, Australia
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5204 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Another great effect: Card Sense by Darwin Ortiz. Effect: You divine three cards under increasingly impossible conditions. Three spectators each cut off a pile of cards. The first spectator looks at the card cut to and you divine it. Then, even before the second spectator looks at the card he cut to, you divine it. Finally, you divine any card in the third spectators pile that he designates.
You can learn this strong effect from the great book: Lessons in Card Mastery by Darwin Ortiz at page 233.

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/card-m......mastery/
JuanPoop
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of JuanPoop
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2023, gillesA4 wrote:
"Or not" by Dani DaOrtiz

I said my thanks above, but I really should have checked Penguin and others first.

For some reason I thought it must have been part of one of his many series/projects.

Doh!

Quote:
On Oct 26, 2023, Kjellstrom wrote:
Another great effect: Card Sense by Darwin Ortiz. Effect: You divine three cards under increasingly impossible conditions. Three spectators each cut off a pile of cards. The first spectator looks at the card cut to and you divine it. Then, even before the second spectator looks at the card he cut to, you divine it. Finally, you divine any card in the third spectators pile that he designates.
You can learn this strong effect from the great book: Lessons in Card Mastery by Darwin Ortiz at page 233.

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/card-m......mastery/

This is an awesome trick. I love Darwin’s work - they are routined to perfection. He does a lot of amazing stuff that is above my pay-grade in handling/sleights, but many more are well within reach. Card Sense is one of those, along with Zen Master, Test Your Luck, Do As I Did, One Shot One Kill, Maximum Risk, Mind Bender, etc, etc.

Another genius!
aka Lucky John
Sydney, Australia