The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Beware, lassen hallmark (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1815 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2023, Craig Ousterling wrote:
I posted this a while ago on my FB feed:

Some people know this. Some people don't. I'm saying this because I knew Todd and I'm sure he'd want people, especially his best customers to know, for a FACT Todd Lassen's "makers mark" is missing.

That's very useful context, and slightly distressing, I agree.
But unless there's been evidence (or even suspicion) of it's use, then it seems premature to circle too much warning about the potential for knock-offs.
A malicious seller could just as easily claim it was an hallmarked set, or email innacurate pictures of an item that is different than they mail. Either way, you know on receipt that you were scammed.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2023, Craig Ousterling wrote:
I posted this a while ago on my FB feed:

Some people know this. Some people don't. I'm saying this because I knew Todd and I'm sure he'd want people, especially his best customers to know, for a FACT Todd Lassen's "makers mark" is missing.

Are you saying somebody stole the stamp he used to manufacture his coins? I know his daughters auctioned off his belongings, and that included his machinery to make the gaff coins.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Just to be fully above board here - in case anyone here wasn't aware....
I won the two big coin lots from Lassen's online estate sale. One was pretty clear it was his junk/"aw crap" box of damaged coins, mistakes etc, but the other was much more neatly organized. Unfortunately, the person handling the sales dumped EVERYTHING into one box and mailed that to me, so I have no idea what was what. It actually clanked/jingled when I picked up the box - my heart sank. Fortunately most things seemed to weather the travel but I've got no clue of what damaged parts may have been fine initially. I won several other non-coin lots and she said she'd be throwing in some extras... No idea what as nothing was specifically mentioned, but after sorting through everything there were several hallmarked items and I matched up parts to a couple sets including this gorgeous Morgan CSB set (see link at end of this post).

Anything I offer for sale here will be stated as "acquired from the Lassen estate". Anything included that didn't arrive in the box will be identified as such (e.g. I have a number of African Dime expanded shells, and purchased normal coins to go with them). Some items are hallmarked "Lassen", some with the RAD-Clad "LCC&N", but a lot are unmarked. I won't sell anything here I wouldn't be satisfied with if I was the buyer.

As for the coin I originally posted, that was in the lot.... Clearly from the junk box. Maybe one of his short-lived apprentices practicing applying the hallmark.

https://imgur.com/a/PlQRbV5

Quote:
On Apr 9, 2023, inigmntoya wrote:
Some items were hallmarked more than once. Smile
(RAD Clad hallmark, LCC&N)

TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
880 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
You got some great coin stuff there buddy . I am envious lol
Just try that’s all you can do , never give up .
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
979 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Todd used an unusual hallmark with a stamped LASSEN inside an oval rim. What is more commonly seen is a simple LASSEN, often stamped lightly so that the letters are faintly seen, or stamped strongly with clear lettering.

Other verification tips include:
1 - check for the actual set by searching Cool Otis Deals (starting February 2008)
2 - search for the seller in Cool Otis Deals to see if he/she has been a regular customer (often use full name or first)
3 - quality is important, but also type of coins used. Todd likely was the only one to use unusual coins like
3a - Queen Victoria Jubilee Head Half Crown
3b - Seated Liberty Half Dollars
3c - 1893 Columbian Half Dollars
3d - Pre Civil War Large Cents
3e - The Brass/Copper ME (Miracle Enjoyment) Chinese coins
3f - So called Pattern Coins, dated 1937 Edwards VIII and 1879 Victoria
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Re: "3d - Pre Civil War Large Cents"

I've got a couple copper one silver (2C1S) sets made with those large cents.
They're made well but I didn't think they were Todd's - possibly Connie Haden?
I've got another that's a locking set - like a Scotch and Soda, but it's a 2C1S. King George penny and the large cent when separate, and Barber on the other side when nested. I won it at a club auction and it was just the gimmick. I actually had it for a week or so thinking it was just a c/s coin until I thought I saw a seam and tried a bang ring on it.
I've also got a WL Scotch and Soda with the large cent I got off ebay. The cent was in backwards and the seller thought it was a single coin.

Most of the sets were incomplete. I sourced the matching coins off ebay based on date/wear, then cleaned and darkened to match up the patina.

Pics here:
https://imgur.com/a/Qem2Y2F
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
3a - Queen Victoria Jubilee Head Half Crown:

Ronald Davies in the UK has made / makes sets with these coins as well.
magojose|
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of magojose|
Before purchased a Lassen's second hand coin set of Slippery Sam, I track down at his Coolotis page the name of the seller of the set as a buyer of that actuall set, so the copper coins was so especific that they hardly could be a fake one. As a buyer is your duty to check the authenticity of the product before buy it.
webtech
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of webtech
I always paid Todd through PayPal with the extra 4% he requested on top of the coin fee. PayPal keeps history of your transactions so if you paid him that way you will have some sort of a record to submit to someone asking for authenticity. It's not perfect but it is something.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
979 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Quote:
On May 2, 2023, webtech wrote:
I always paid Todd through PayPal with the extra 4% he requested on top of the coin fee. PayPal keeps history of your transactions so if you paid him that way you will have some sort of a record to submit to someone asking for authenticity. It's not perfect but it is something.

It seem applicable for purchases during 2 years before his death. Any older transactions are not available, unfortunately.
webtech
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of webtech
I've always paid Todd through PayPal and there is a record of the transaction. That helps a little.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
If you archive your emails they may have a record of old PayPal transactions.

Quote:
On May 3, 2023, GeorgeG wrote:
Quote:
On May 2, 2023, webtech wrote:

It seem applicable for purchases during 2 years before his death. Any older transactions are not available, unfortunately.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4198 Posts

Profile of warren
I have a Triple Threat made by Todd and if there is a stamp on it then it's barely visible, however like others I paid vis paypal so have proof of purchase should I ever want to sell.
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2023, warren wrote:
I have a Triple Threat made by Todd and if there is a stamp on it then it's barely visible, however like others I paid vis paypal so have proof of purchase should I ever want to sell.

Warren, Todd typically put his mark in the top most "part". If you have a cell phone camera with macro lens aim it at that and you'll probably see the mark and be able to snap a picture.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
What Craig said, plus, sometimes you have to hold it at just the right angle for the light to catch it. I've got hallmarks that range from obvious to darn near invisible unless at the right angle.
I also have items that I bought direct but weren't hallmarked,so yours may not have one, but it's worth checking closely to be sure.

Quote:
On Jun 15, 2023, Craig Ousterling wrote:

Warren, Todd typically put his mark in the top most "part". If you have a cell phone camera with macro lens aim it at that and you'll probably see the mark and be able to snap a picture.
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
This is good to know. I have several gaffs from Todd that I purchased directly from him around 2008 – a Ramsey stack, expanded Morgan shell set, and expanded Barber shell set. I also won a nice little gaff in one of his impromptu "competitions" (I forget the gaff name, but it's used in Latta's routine where coins in the spectator's hand and on back of the fist change places). I've been out of magic for years now, and been thinking of selling these, so this thread is good information.
Madman13
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Madman13
I got a magnetic walking liberty stack and a hallmark on it but it's so small. The good thing is I paid using paypal and have emails. I still remember calling him and he was kind. I told him I worked on a ship and didn’t know how to get in touch with him because I was not sure if my emails were going through. He laughed and asked me for my email address. I reached my next port and was happy to see his email and placed my order. I regret not buying more gaffs Smile
cytoplast
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of cytoplast
I have 3x Lassen sets: a walking liberty Triple Threat, a New Zealand penny shell set, and a state quarter sun/moon set.

It's been 10 years since I bought the 3T and finally noticed the maker mark inside it, thinking all this time it wasn't there (it just needed a quick wipe down and then catching the sunlight I noticed it). The maker mark in the penny set was very obvious - I'm fairly confident it was a limited run during his commercial coin days but I'm unable to find a receipt from the purchase, nor could I track it down on the Wayback machine for his commercial site. Perhaps if someone knows the set and may be able to remember when it was made, it would help tracking more down. The state sun/moon set does _not_ have a mark in it that I can find and I believe they were made by an apprentice he had working for him for a while? Is it fair to conclude that possibly Todd himself made the NZ penny set if it has his mark where the sun/moon doesn't?
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Todd's "rad clad" commercial hallmark "LCC-N" is on my Kennedy shell from this set, but not on the NZ Penny of the sun/moon. I have other NZ shells I got from the estate sale with that mark too.

The dash is actually an ampersand but the cafe's software is filtering it out.

If it says "LASSEN" he made it, not an apprentice.

https://wp.me/p164SK-13p

Photo of the LCC-N mark:

Quote:
On Mar 7, 2024, cytoplast wrote:
I have 3x Lassen sets: a walking liberty Triple Threat, a New Zealand penny shell set, and a state quarter sun/moon set.

It's been 10 years since I bought the 3T and finally noticed the maker mark inside it, thinking all this time it wasn't there (it just needed a quick wipe down and then catching the sunlight I noticed it). The maker mark in the penny set was very obvious - I'm fairly confident it was a limited run during his commercial coin days but I'm unable to find a receipt from the purchase, nor could I track it down on the Wayback machine for his commercial site. Perhaps if someone knows the set and may be able to remember when it was made, it would help tracking more down. The state sun/moon set does _not_ have a mark in it that I can find and I believe they were made by an apprentice he had working for him for a while? Is it fair to conclude that possibly Todd himself made the NZ penny set if it has his mark where the sun/moon doesn't?
cytoplast
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of cytoplast
Thank you for the help. I now see my penny set isn’t marked LASSEN but the commercial mark, LCC&N, which makes more sense.

I still don’t see anything on the sun/moon, but it’s much rougher looking inside.

Still I’m glad I finally found it inside the 3T.